Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is it true they cook with the gas turned off?
they do! you can preheat the oven for 15-20 minutes, turn it off and it will hold its temperature for an hour and a half or so. the slow cooker/sunken burner that i mentioned works that way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Good news in Wilkinsburg: Wilkinsburg CDC's Storefront Improvement Program attracts new business to the borough

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I liked the Capital cooktop.
If you can find a restored old stove like other posters mentioned, I'd go for it. Those old stoves are great.

Thought I'd tell you why I like the Capital cooktop. It gets good reviews and the middle burner can be turned over and will accommodate a wok. How cool is that? How much wok cooking I'll actually do is another story. Anyway, it seems to be well made and offers a lot of features for the price. I'm getting a cooktop and wall ovens because I have a bad back and I'm designing my kitchen to require as little bending as possible. Otherwise, I'd probably be hunting for a restored old stove.

Link to Capital cooktop info: Maestro Series: 36" Gas Cooktop

Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM

59 posts, read 54,931 times
Thanks for all the suggestions !

Have been investigating some of the older stoves. Found some of the chambers for 250 to 450 in the Virginia area. Not sure if that is the way I'm going to go.

I do most of the cooking in the household, which is why I am fat !! Mom loved to feed her babies well and I've continued feeding her number one baby very well. I'm thinking of going with a modern type of gas stove/range. Probably something along the Jenn-Air, Thermador, Wolf type. Looked at some last night. Holy Heck ! Not cheap. Pretty but not cheap.

Going to meet with our agents again this weekend and draw up some sort of an offer. Keeping in mind it is overpriced and we would like some changes made. Will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Thanks for posting the picture of the Swan. I guess it could look like a Unicorn if the light hits it right !

Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Here's one for sale that looks like it needs some TLC but has exterior period details intact. Is this anywhere near the place you're considering?

531 S Trenton Avenue, Wilkinsburg (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania 15221 (MLS# 950688) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Couple of streets over but it is fairly close. Nice looking house. Will drive by tomorrow to take a look. 2 car garage would fit in nicely with my weakness for old Land Cruisers. One major problem I have with the house on Whitney is no garage/off street parking. Plenty of potential for that though.

Thanks for posting that up.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 AM

Well, we met with our agents yesterday and sat in the office for about 5 hours writing up an offer on 613 Whitney. Keeping fingers crossed but not going to be disappointed if they decline. Lots of things to consider when trying to buy a home in the stages of repair this home is in. Wish us luck in the negotiations !

Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman40 View Post
Well, we met with our agents yesterday and sat in the office for about 5 hours writing up an offer on 613 Whitney. Keeping fingers crossed but not going to be disappointed if they decline. Lots of things to consider when trying to buy a home in the stages of repair this home is in. Wish us luck in the negotiations !
I'm so happy for you. I hope the deal goes through. If it doesn't, there are lots of historic homes in Pittsburgh to choose from, although more will come on the market in the spring, methinks. Best wishes!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Good luck.

Like juliegt said, if the deal doesn't work out, there will soon be more homes hitting the market, so I'm sure you'll find something you love.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman40 View Post
2 car garage would fit in nicely with my weakness for old Land Cruiser

Expensive hobby. I have always wanted one but I they are out of my price range. Same goes for the original Broncos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh