Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Or we could simply increase our job density in the urban core and either find better ways of bring mass transit out to the suburbs or enticing more suburbanites to move into the city.
Both can, and will be utilized.

Westinghouse and other major corporations are choosing suburban campi as a less expensive way and also to be closer to their employees.

Some people just don't want to live in a crowded city and prefer to have their own little estates on a 1/4 acre of Kentucky bluegrass, I'm not sure I'd want to live in Pittsburgh if it wasn't somewhat depopulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:58 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Or we could simply increase our job density in the urban core and either find better ways of bring mass transit out to the suburbs or enticing more suburbanites to move into the city.
Not everyone works in the city or wants to live there given the political climate.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Whoever constructed this ranking apparently didn't spend anytime at all in Florida.

In addition to having to dodge people who pull in front of you and slam on their brakes to intentionally cause an accident (to collect insurance money), there is also the infamous species of elderly headless drivers down there.

And then there's the Miami area which has its own hazards.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I have never seen anything like it with ramps in Pittsburgh. I am not a timid driver, but I sure have learned to be afraid of driving at night in Pittsburgh, especially entering highways and the short distance at some points from one highway to another highway.

Well, Morgantown also takes a cake when it comes to road conditions. But nothing like Pittsburgh ramps. Be in fear.
Stop signs for on-ramps do exist all over the northeast, although not common. mainly in larger old cities where highway development is very cramped and required because of space / line of sight issues. There are also ramps with stop lights that meter the number of entering vehicles during rush hours in some cities.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Stop signs for on-ramps do exist all over the northeast, although not common. mainly in larger old cities where highway development is very cramped and required because of space / line of sight issues. There are also ramps with stop lights that meter the number of entering vehicles during rush hours in some cities.
I've seen them in Southern California, as well. Though they were closer to the top of the ramp so that cars could still gather speed to merge into traffic.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Pittsburgh has its issues for sure, but I have yet to see this type of pile up on our local highways.

Keep watching. It gets a little slow after the first accident, but about 2/3 of the way thru it gets better, lol.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
You are a timid driver, like so many other people in this region. Get over it or stay off the road.
Great advice. We need more aggressive drivers in Pittsburgh!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Pittsburgh has its issues for sure, but I have yet to see this type of pile up on our local highways.

Keep watching. It gets a little slow after the first accident, but about 2/3 of the way thru it gets better, lol.
That should be required viewing for anybody driving at this time of year.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Great advice. We need more aggressive drivers in Pittsburgh!
These timid drivers cause accidents by traveling in the passing lane at or below speed limit. The left lane is to pass! Whenever I see one doing that, I make sure to give them the most miserable driving experience possible.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:08 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
These timid drivers cause accidents by traveling in the passing lane at or below speed limit. The left lane is to pass! Whenever I see one doing that, I make sure to give them the most miserable driving experience possible.
This is actually a wider PA problem. I have to give Jersey drivers credit for one thing: they know that the passing lane is for passing! Then again, their cops routinely pull over left lane lollygaggers. Ours don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh