Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times

Advertisements

We were in the same position as you in 2005. We were looking for an August 1st move-in date. We booked a bunch of visits the weekend before Memorial Day (so May ~22) and picked the best from that group. We ended up in Lawrenceville (15 min to Pitt/CMU on the 54C).

We kept looking at Craigslist even after we signed the lease to get a better feel for the market. It seemed to us like there was always a large number of listings, and that the available apartments didn't seem to be significantly better (or worse) in late June than in early March.

We moved 2 years later. We started looking in mid-February and waited for the perfect place, which we eventually found in early April (again August 1st move-in date). That place was on the outskirts of Regent Square (the Wilkinsburg part), about a 20 min bus ride with the 71x (don't remember if that was A, B or C).

Long distance rental shopping is tough but Craigslist (with pics) helped a great deal, if only to weed out the obviously awful places.

I mostly agree with Hopes' list of neighborhoods, though I'd probably remove the North Side (a bit too far unless you get a nice unique place in the Mexican War Streets neighborhood), and you likely won't find much in the Strip or downtown in terms of multi-family or small apt buildings. Be careful of stuff advertised as "South Side", sometimes it's pretty far up the slopes, you could get a nice view but perhaps a more complicated ride to Pitt depending on the spot. I would also add Morningside, which is right next to Highland Park and is basically full of small houses or duplexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Hi sherilyns, as most are saying, if you really have your heart set on Squirrel Hill, you would be wise to start looking as soon as possible and try to set aside a weekend or two that you can use to line up some viewings. I'd just start flipping Craigslist up every day at breakfast and taking a casual look. Something will probably turn up if you're diligent.

If you want to be a bit more flexible, you'll have an easier time. Of course, if it's still better to look early. Think of it this way: You folks are in the same position and on the same timetable as all the other folks attending/working at Pitt, not to mention the other major universities in that same pocket of the city. The sooner you start looking, the more options you'll have.

Hopes' list is worth exploring, for sure. My top three suggestions for you guys, given your recent posts, would be Shadyside, Friendship and Greenfield. They are all nice neighborhoods and about as close to the university as Squirrel Hill. Greenfield in particular is a great place to live for commuting to Pitt, and there are usually some pretty nice, affordable rentals there (at least there were back when I was renting, haven't checked in for a while). It's a sleepy little area, so not quite as trendy as Squirrel Hill.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM

32 posts, read 56,126 times
About 3 years ago, I moved here from NYC on a similar timeline. I was looking to move mid-/late-August. Like you, I preferred the idea of a house/duplex, rather than a managed building. I was looking East End as well.

I visited for a long weekend in early July and was prepared to come back for a second trip. I came armed with appointments from Craigslist ads. I also tried calling a realtor (although that was pretty useless - only saw one place that way). But once here, I started calling numbers posted in front yards in neighborhoods I liked. That was the way I found the nicest options, actually. And I looked at lot of crap places before finding the house I'm in now - which was a lot like every NYC apartment search I ever did. In the end, one of my top choices was a private owner on Craigslist, one was from a "for rent" sign in a front yard.

So, I'd agree with the others that starting soon isn't a bad idea. But in my experience, there was still housing available into the summer. Craigslist is useful. And travel here to pound the pavement in person. I was shocked at how helpful that was, especially looking for a privately-owned place. I'd also be prepared to come back for multiple trips if you can, to avoid the complete pressure of having to settle after just a few days of searching.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I agree that some of the best rentals can be found via "for rent" signs in the yards and windows. Many landlords don't advertise.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 AM

28 posts, read 63,087 times
Thank you so much BarneyG! That was really helpful. My husband is an academic, so we are going to go over at the end of May, and do what you suggested, see as much as we can and pick the best of the bunch. Hopefully it will just be for a year and we can buy a place or find a nicer rental.

I love living in the city and have a young child so I would like to stay in a vibrant community that is walkable. It seems like Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, Shadyside, and Regent Square all fit that. Is there anyplace else I am missing?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyns View Post
I would like to stay in a vibrant community that is walkable. It seems like Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, Shadyside, and Regent Square all fit that. Is there anyplace else I am missing?
Almost every other neighborhood I listed.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM

I wouldn't exactly call Regent Square vibrant. The business district is small.

Bloomfield is more vibrant than Regent Square. Also check out Friendship because it's basically part of Bloomfield.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyns View Post
I love living in the city and have a young child so I would like to stay in a vibrant community that is walkable. It seems like Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, Shadyside, and Regent Square all fit that. Is there anyplace else I am missing?
There's not much to walk to in Regent Square unless you live right near the small business district on S. Braddock Ave. Lawrenceville is less convenient to Oakland by bus than most places on your list, and the bus route that currently runs between Lawrenceville and Oakland is new and subject to change. It could actually disappear, as Port Authority lives in a nearly constant state of funding crisis.

If you don't find something in Squirrel Hill, places along Centre and Negley Avenues in Shadyside, Friendship, East Liberty, and Highland Park also offer some of the best bus service in the city, with varying degrees of vibrance and walkability.

PM me if you have questions.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There's not much to walk to in Regent Square unless you live right near the small business district on S. Braddock Ave. Lawrenceville is less convenient to Oakland by bus than most places on your list, and the bus route that currently runs between Lawrenceville and Oakland is new and subject to change. It could actually disappear, as Port Authority lives in a nearly constant state of funding crisis.
That bus route was added because Children's Hospital relocated to Lawrenceville. I doubt it will be cut.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That bus route was added because Children's Hospital relocated to Lawrenceville. I doubt it will be cut.
While I'm not saying you're wrong, it took PAT an awfully long time to add it. Children's was already there a couple of years before they opened that bus route.

And didn't another Lawrenceville-to-somewhere route get canceled a couple of route-sheddings ago? I would hate to see someone who needs to take the bus be stranded there if PAT decides to cancel another bus route.

Last edited by jay5835; 03-01-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh