Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

I did a local sub-forum search for this topic and found only a few threads, two of which were closed, and all of which touched upon a "touchy" side subject (pardon my puns).

Between neck pain from my car accident and a lot of stress in my life as of late I feel tremendously and chronically tense in my shoulders, upper back, and neck. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for some good local massage therapists. I've seen a few sketchy-looking "massage parlors" lining Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield, but I'm not looking for any of the "touchy" situations that closed the other related threads. I'm just looking to pay somewhere between $75-$125 for an hour of intense stress relief from my upper back, shoulders, and neck. Every ad I see in the back of City Paper leads me to believe there just aren't any legitimate massage parlors around here that don't get a bit too "touchy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,873 times
I got my husband a groupon for Tula and he really liked it. He got a more sports type massage vs. the swedish. I looked it up and there are also other massage places with reviews on groupon.
Tula Organic Salon & Spa Deal of the Day | Groupon Pittsburgh. Tula expired groupon deal, others might not be expired.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 02-27-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: Letting poster know some might be expired.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Massage Envy in Squirrel Hill does $50 first time specials. They're a chain, and definitely are not "touchy". I haven't personally used them, though.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Seriously consider physical therapy instead. The stretching and exercises will eliminate stress pain.

I know you think you can't afford it without insurance, but I know a physical therapist who will only charge $25/hour for people without insurance.

Once you learn the stretches and exercises, you can do them at home. I swear, you'd only need to go to physical therapy for a few weeks, tops.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seriously consider physical therapy instead. The stretching and exercises will eliminate stress pain.
Excellent suggestion. After you learn which stretches are beneficial, you might take a yoga class, as well. Or, buy a set of yoga bands and use them at home (but you'll get the most benefit from this if a PT shows you which stretches to do and makes sure you are doing them correctly). I also recommend tai chi for stress reduction, as well as stretching. You can find several videos on you tube that show the moves, or (better yet) take a class.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I got my husband a groupon for Tula and he really liked it. He got a more sports type massage vs. the swedish. I looked it up and there are also other massage places with reviews on groupon.
Tula Organic Salon & Spa Deal of the Day | Groupon Pittsburgh. Tula expired groupon deal, others might not be expired.
Thanks! I actually hadn't even considered going the Groupon route, but it's great to know there are some massage therapy businesses that participate in the program. I will definitely keep this in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Massage Envy in Squirrel Hill does $50 first time specials. They're a chain, and definitely are not "touchy". I haven't personally used them, though.
Massage Envy was actually the place I was going to try. I work primarily in Squirrel Hill and occasionally have a two-hour break in the middle of my lengthy shifts. It would be great to drop in somewhere so conveniently-located. $50 is certainly much easier on the wallet than the $100+ I was fearing I'd need to budget for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I know you think you can't afford it without insurance, but I know a physical therapist who will only charge $25/hour for people without insurance.

Once you learn the stretches and exercises, you can do them at home. I swear, you'd only need to go to physical therapy for a few weeks, tops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Excellent suggestion. After you learn which stretches are beneficial, you might take a yoga class, as well. Or, buy a set of yoga bands and use them at home (but you'll get the most benefit from this if a PT shows you which stretches to do and makes sure you are doing them correctly). I also recommend tai chi for stress reduction, as well as stretching. You can find several videos on you tube that show the moves, or (better yet) take a class.
Wonderful recommendations, and thank you both for them! I actually have a few co-workers who regularly do yoga for stress relief, and I may ask them today how they got started. I believe one regularly attends the Bikram Yoga place near Forbes & Murray in Squirrel Hill. I can actually afford more than $25/hr., Hopes, and would be inclined to haggle with your recommended PT to find a price that may be fairer to him or her while also not busting my budget. I don't have insurance right now due to the expense; however, I still believe in compensating someone closer to what they are worth if they provide you with a great service or product.

My primary concern is with my neck pain. I've had it since my 2011 accident, but UPMC said my neck was fine when I went to the ER. I'm just fearful of aggravating the pain further if I stretch it the wrong way. On the other hand stretching it the "right" way may just pop something back into place!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-28-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,989 times
A second nod for Massage Envy in Squirrel Hill. I've personally been there twice and both times rank in my top 3 for best massages I've had.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
A second nod for Massage Envy in Squirrel Hill. I've personally been there twice and both times rank in my top 3 for best massages I've had.
Thank you very much! Looks like Massage Envy will be the winner, followed by reaching out to a physical therapist about different stretching exercises, perhaps followed by doing yoga!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Did you make appointments when you went? They say "Walk-Ins Welcome", but I don't know if they're usually so busy during the day that you should make an appointment. Is it like Super Cuts where you just walk in for a hair cut, and three stylists are just standing around waiting for you?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM

831 posts, read 878,512 times
I can't recommend Heather enough ( Body & Soul Therapeutic Massage )

It might be far (South Hills), but trust me, she's fantastic and really knows the physiology of muscles, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh