Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sweet, I added you to my friends so we can keep in touch! I'm going to be there on my way from moving from Salt Lake City to New York so I'll have my car available to drive to wherever. I'll be there the night of Nov 4th.
Sounds good. Be in touch when you get to town. Unfortunately, I also have to work the following Monday.

What part of New York are you heading to? If it's NYC, don't be surprised plopping down a couple hundred bucks a weekend to go out.

I rarely spend over $30 in a night at Pittsburgh. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 PM

33 posts, read 228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Sounds good. Be in touch when you get to town. Unfortunately, I also have to work the following Monday.

What part of New York are you heading to? If it's NYC, don't be surprised plopping down a couple hundred bucks a weekend to go out.

I rarely spend over $30 in a night at Pittsburgh. LOL.
Yeah I know, I plan on being broke in NYC.

One more question, would it be a better idea to stay at the Shadyside Courtyard instead of the downtown Courtyard? They are both the same price. We want to get the full Pittsburgh experience!!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
One more question, would it be a better idea to stay at the Shadyside Courtyard instead of the downtown Courtyard? They are both the same price. We want to get the full Pittsburgh experience!!
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you definitely won't be getting the full experience no matter where you stay.

Pittsburgh is a big weeknight city, but Sunday, it's just not there. Downtown is still very business-oriented (thankfully changing slowly but surely), so unless you are there during the day, it might not benefit you.

What time exactly will you be here that night? If you are here early enough, I would stay in Shadyside and check out Walnut Street and eat there and then we can check out the bars later on.

The city IS really beautiful, though, staying downtown and just being down there is always interesting.
Quote:
Yeah I know, I plan on being broke in NYC.
Gay life in NYC is particularly expensive and most of the time pretty trashy.

Several of the best clubs closed recently, in fact, and I actually prefer the bars in Pittsburgh. I am usually in NYC about four times per year. Ironically, my boyfriend currently lives there for his job for about another year. He is ready to come home. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into! It's not a friendly nor a warm city. People are enchanted by the idea of moving to NYC, but it's actually pretty rough living unless you have some serious cash.

NYC does offer some WILD times, though, sometimes the money is worth it just for what you can see!!!!

Then you look at your bank account that Monday morning and decide... maybe not...

LOL

Old 10-24-2007, 02:19 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I'd vote for Shadyside, too. It's not as dramatic as downtown, but there are plenty of great restaurants and bars to check out on a Sunday--moreso than downtown.

I think the Steelers are playing on Monday night next week, otherwise downtown would have been hopping for a Sunday and you'd probably have trouble booking a hotel.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I think the Steelers are playing on Monday night next week, otherwise downtown would have been hopping for a Sunday and you'd probably have trouble booking a hotel.
That's true, didn't think about that.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 PM

33 posts, read 228,838 times
Quote:
Gay life in NYC is particularly expensive and most of the time pretty trashy.

Several of the best clubs closed recently, in fact, and I actually prefer the bars in Pittsburgh. I am usually in NYC about four times per year. Ironically, my boyfriend currently lives there for his job for about another year. He is ready to come home. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into! It's not a friendly nor a warm city. People are enchanted by the idea of moving to NYC, but it's actually pretty rough living unless you have some serious cash.

NYC does offer some WILD times, though, sometimes the money is worth it just for what you can see!!!!

Then you look at your bank account that Monday morning and decide... maybe not...

LOL
Yeah I have had a lot of experience with New York City nightlife. I think it depends on who you go out with. One time I went out with some friends that make quite a bit of money. We went club hopping to several different bars (each with a $20 cover) and drank top shelf drinks. I had a blast, but I woke up the next morning and realized that I had spent about $350!! I could have bought another round trip plane ticket from Salt Lake for that price!

Another time I went out with some friends who are just out of college and not really making a lot of money. We also went bar hopping, but to some dive bars. There was no cover and most of the bars had drink specials so we hardly spent anything on alcohol. I actually had a better time with these friends. Plus I felt more comfortable at these bars.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I had a blast, but I woke up the next morning and realized that I had spent about $350!! I could have bought another round trip plane ticket from Salt Lake for that price!
Sick, isn't it?

LOL

I miss Roxy's.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM

457 posts, read 431,328 times
Quote:
I'll take you out if you want, I'm a young gay male, too. Sunday night is a dull night, though. However, that's not exclusive to Pittsburgh. LOL.

I go to NYC a lot, and even NYC isn't all that exciting on a Sunday night. A few places will still be hoppin.

to the left to the left
You sure do get around Boylocke! Is that why you are "guylocke" now? ;-) hehehe j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh