Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm beginning to think Sealtite might have been right about the weather.
Yes, and I also stand by my assertion that winter was "just getting started" back in the beginning of the month. Overall, the entire month of March has been almost as cold as January was, and it will be snowier. Especially after tonight's storm.

If you take a look at the telleconnections (PNA, NAO, AO), you'll find that we're going nowhere fast in terms of temperatures. The snowstorm that we're getting tonight is going to be followed by days barely above freezing, with nights dropping well into the 20's and even teens all week. The snow will be sticking around on the ground through Easter weekend, and into April. In fact, several of the models are showing a Nor'easter storm heading up the coast a week from now, so there may be a LOT of snow on the ground as we turn the calender into April.

It's not going to end there. Not by a long shot. The blocking pattern that we are in is going to carry us right through April. Most of the month will be gray and overcast with highs in the mid 40's on "the good days". We will have more snowstorms. This is gonna last until May, folks. Get used to it. Essentially, we might as well have turned the calender back to Jan 1st on the first of March, because the weather pattern we're stuck in certainly jibes with it. 2013....beyond the shadow of a doubt.....is going to go down in history as the "year without a spring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM

144 posts, read 223,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Yes, and I also stand by my assertion that winter was "just getting started" back in the beginning of the month. Overall, the entire month of March has been almost as cold as January was, and it will be snowier. Especially after tonight's storm.

If you take a look at the telleconnections (PNA, NAO, AO), you'll find that we're going nowhere fast in terms of temperatures. The snowstorm that we're getting tonight is going to be followed by days barely above freezing, with nights dropping well into the 20's and even teens all week. The snow will be sticking around on the ground through Easter weekend, and into April. In fact, several of the models are showing a Nor'easter storm heading up the coast a week from now, so there may be a LOT of snow on the ground as we turn the calender into April.

It's not going to end there. Not by a long shot. The blocking pattern that we are in is going to carry us right through April. Most of the month will be gray and overcast with highs in the mid 40's on "the good days". We will have more snowstorms. This is gonna last until May, folks. Get used to it. Essentially, we might as well have turned the calender back to Jan 1st on the first of March, because the weather pattern we're stuck in certainly jibes with it. 2013....beyond the shadow of a doubt.....is going to go down in history as the "year without a spring".
This is what I call depressing. Do you enjoy depressing people? I'm not trying to lash out at you, but sometimes it's best to say nothing at all when there is no good news to report. I'm kind of a shoot the messenger person, so that may have something to do with it. By the way, what was the upshot of posting this? It's really freaking distressing to me.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,165 times
Quote:
The snow will be sticking around on the ground through Easter weekend, and into April.

Except for the piles that the plows push up, or areas that are in shade most of the day, it'll be gone by Thursday.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,443,200 times
I have 3 apts planned tomorrow, won't change them, it's called snow tires.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,760,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Except for the piles that the plows push up, or areas that are in shade most of the day, it'll be gone by Thursday.
Yeah, if not sooner. The snow just doesn't stick around long this time of year with the higher sun angle and more daylight. A few weeks ago when we got the last decent snowfall, the ground was covered with 4-6 inches of snow in the morning, and when I got home from work I was able to go for a run on the Montour Trail that same evening since most of it had already melted down to the bare surface.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,939,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post
This is what I call depressing. Do you enjoy depressing people? I'm not trying to lash out at you, but sometimes it's best to say nothing at all when there is no good news to report. I'm kind of a shoot the messenger person, so that may have something to do with it. By the way, what was the upshot of posting this? It's really freaking distressing to me.
I'm not trying to depress you. If it's any conciliation, we should all consider ourselves lucky. The Midwest and parts of the Northeast have been absolutely hammered during this endless winter. Across the pond, people are literally dying because of this horrific weather. The UK is experiencing it's coldest March EVER. Their March was colder than January, and January was well below average too!

The cold weather we're experiencing now (and will continue to experience, in contrast to normal, for at least the next month) is a direct result of the SSW event that occurred over the Himalayan mountains back in January. It wouldn't raise too many eyebrows, had it not have been for another SSW event occurring at the end of February that was virtually identical, and had originated over the same exact spot. Thankfully the 2nd SSW event didn't do any additional damage to the polar vortex.

This prolonged winter may or may not have been deliberate, however the events that triggered it certainly were.

Last edited by Sealtite; 03-24-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
"endless winter"? Guess you don't remember December when people were wearing shorts still. Endless? Goodness, people are really funny to read. Believe it or not there are many folks that love snow and winter for sport and really beauty. I feel bad for those that hibernate during such a fun time of year. Great fun. Now if I can find a ski facility open. Seems greed hits us all one way or the other.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I have 3 apts planned tomorrow, won't change them, it's called snow tires.
Does anyone have any experience with 18" snow tires? I know that they are more expensive, but I don't want to deal with minus sizing. I know that the narrower the tire, the better the performance, but will 18" tires perform well enough in the moderate snow conditions we tend to have?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:

It's not going to end there. Not by a long shot. The blocking pattern that we are in is going to carry us right through April. Most of the month will be gray and overcast with highs in the mid 40's on "the good days". We will have more snowstorms. This is gonna last until May, folks. Get used to it. Essentially, we might as well have turned the calendar back to Jan 1st on the first of March, because the weather pattern we're stuck in certainly jibes with it. 2013....beyond the shadow of a doubt.....is going to go down in history as the "year without a spring".
Do you have to sound so happy about it? I mean, okay, you were right. But your rubbing-our-noses-in-it tone of voice is more than a little meanspirited.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,526,963 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to depress you. If it's any conciliation, we should all consider ourselves lucky.
If there's a snow day tomorrow, I'll consider myself very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh