Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's a point of reference. I helped my girlfriend with her budget. She lives in a three bedroom townhouse, end unit. Her gas bill is on the monthly budget plan for $90/month. That's $90/month each 12 months. That means her winter month bills are higher than $100 too.
Funny thing happened a few months ago: the actual billed amount and the budget amount were the same, and the computer at Columbia Gas upon receiving the payment put the subsequent bills on the budget plan. Ah, well. Can be fixed later. But that budget amount? $54/month. Three bedroom single-family house. And it's not at all chilly in here but comfy to my sense of temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Funny thing happened a few months ago: the actual billed amount and the budget amount were the same, and the computer at Columbia Gas upon payment put the subsequent bills on the budget plan. Ah, well. Can be fixed later. But that budget amount? $54/month. Three bedroom single-family house. And it's not at all chilly in here but comfy to my sense of temperature.
There are two people in your house, right? My girlfriend and I both have double the bathing and laundry than you do at your house. Is it possible that since we make meals for larger families that we both do more cooking and baking than you do at your house? I'm talking the oven on and the burners going almost every evening.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,997,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For gas usage, number of household members is just as important as the size of the home because household members influence how much water is heated for bathing and laundry. There's also the issue of cooking and baking, which a greater number of people do very little of.
I don't think this is really keeping our bills down compared to yours. There are three adults in the house, and one of them (a boarder) cooks all his meals separately from the meals I cook for my husband and I. My husband and I primarily work from home as well, and rarely eat out anymore, so that's a lot of meals. The boarder also does an excessive amount of laundry. Part of the reason why our water/sewage bills are outrageous (upwards of $125-150 a month these days).

Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Our water and sewage is much lower, about $80/month.

That doesn't necessarily mean our water usage is lower though.

Maybe it's the gas company. We have Equitable.

I'm all for digging out our bills next month and posting our usage and rates per measurement.

That would solve this mystery once and for all.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,755,886 times
Gosh our water/sewer bills are nothing like over $100 a month. Our gas was highest at about $200 ; dont remember what electric was.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM

49 posts, read 80,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avm316 View Post
For a 3 bedroom house, your gas bill is going to be at least $300.00 a month during the winter.
What? I have a 2200 sq foot house and keep it at 72 degrees full time and I budget my bill at $54 per month

Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Gosh our water/sewer bills are nothing like over $100 a month.
Every township is different for water and sewage costs. Some are very high.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPPT232 View Post
What? I have a 2200 sq foot house and keep it at 72 degrees full time and I budget my bill at $54 per month
The difference is he's talking about his highest bill in the coldest month, not the amount budgeted each month.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 PM

367 posts, read 619,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyns View Post
I haven't had success finding current information on the cost of living for Pittsburgh. I'm trying to prepare a budget for a family of 3 on $67,000 before taxes living in the city (not suburbs) with 1 car, owning a small house (under $200,000 with 30yr mortage). Any thoughts? Any information would be helpful (Average utility bills, cost of food, any unique Pittsburgh expenses)?

Thank you! This forum has been really helpful.
I can tell you that it is possible. everyone is going to throw a bunch of numbers at you and many of them have never lived what you are attempting. I know for a fact that it is possible...

Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyns View Post
Thanks for your responses. I'm moving from NYC if that matters. I guess what I'd like to know is what would estimates be for utilities for a small 3 bedroom house in the East End. I know this can vary widely depending on usage and efficiency, but what are typical electric bills, water bills, gas bills (assuming gas heat)? Is car insurance expensive?
The utility companies may be able to give you some estimates. It truly does vary greatly by home. Are you living in an apartment now? There are also some mortgage calculators available on the web where you plug in your down payment and figure at various interest rates. You'd have to research interest rates, and then there are taxes and homeowner's insurance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mort...ient=firefox-a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh