Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I agree with a lot of people that this quiz is really skewed to one stereotype. I was in the 9-12 range. I then went back and worked through the quiz answering as my dad might have. He was an auto mechanic, only had a 9th grade education, and while he worked various blue collar jobs, he never actually worked on a factory floor. He prefered sedans to trucks, wasn't into fishing or hunting, didn't like to go the movies at all, and was not a fan of racing. He was not much of a joiner -- so the Kiwanis, et all were not his cup of tea either. My parents were very Catholic and lived in a neighborhood where most of the their neighbors were Catholic, so he really knew very few Protestants let alone an actual Evangelical. So despite the fact that my dad was the farthest thing from elitest that one could ever get (picture Archie Bunker without the racism -- just rough around the edges, gruff and largely grumpy most of the time) he would have scored the same as I did, and somehow would have been part of the "new upper class." Actually, I think his WWII service, love of cheap beer, the fact that he watched Oprah with my mom and that eating at Applebee's was big night out for him were probably the only things that kept him from looking like he was in an elitest bubble. Which is just hysterical.
Sounds like a great guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
My result:

Quote:
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.
I do agree that the quiz is a bit skewed, but maybe I answered the questions too literally. Like, I don't stock my fridge with mass market beer, but that isn't to say that I haven't had a Miller Light from time to time. I don't own a pick-up, but I know people who do, that kind of thing.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I took my girlfriend on a date to the Serbian Club last week...doesn't that count for bonus? Kept telling her I had to go "sign the book".
My wife is Serbian so we end up there after every funeral. Love that place. And yeah, that's gotta count for keeping it real.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
My wife is Serbian so we end up there after every funeral. Love that place. And yeah, that's gotta count for keeping it real.
Well I'll tell you this, I know very little about Serbian customs and traditions, but damn can they fry a piece of fish!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Jeez, my buble is so thick I don;t even know I have one. Oh yes, I know, thank you very much. With the exception that I ate @ TGIF and Apple Bee and that I do come from blue collar family the rest of the questions are not applicable to me. Answered NO.

My opinion is that the questionaire is meant for people born in this country. I am an alien who happened to live here so long and became citizen. But you see, when I became citizen nobody asked me these kind of questions.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 0 and 4.

I've never been so proud.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I've never been so proud.
I believe you!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
I scored" between 9 and 12.Even if you are part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America."

It was the no beer thing and Nascar questions answered in the negative.Otherwise,I could have been a part of the rest of America,I guess!Plus I hang out with smokers.

I am hardly upper class.Not in this lifetime.

Last edited by exnj1970; 03-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
What's more disturbing is not the results of this test, but rather what is considered to be "normal" and "mainstream" in today's American culture. Are you a mindless consumer who gobbles up what whatever Hollywood/TV throws at you? Do you spend your hard earned money at chains and huge corporations rather than supporting small local businesses? Are you blue-collar but you voluntarily making payments on a truck that you can't actually afford? Does independent thought scare you? Congrats, you are a "normal" American!

That's way more telling of how backwards our culture is, especially if people outside that description are to be looked down upon.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
What's more disturbing is not the results of this test, but rather what is considered to be "normal" and "mainstream" in today's American culture. Are you a mindless consumer who gobbles up what whatever Hollywood/TV throws at you? Do you spend your hard earned money at chains and huge corporations rather than supporting small local businesses? Are you blue-collar but you voluntarily making payments on a truck that you can't actually afford? Does independent thought scare you? Congrats, you are a "normal" American!

That's way more telling of how backwards our culture is, especially if people outside that description are to be looked down upon.

I agree, who came up with the criteria for that survey? What's normal? Not me, to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh