Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times

Advertisements

Pierogies have been mentioned several times, and shot down as "not unique to Pittsburgh." Sure, but it's not like buffalo wings are unique to Buffalo at this point either. The fact is that Pittsburgh has a pretty extraordinary link to Eastern European cuisine that is not shared by many American cities, by virtue of having one of the largest Eastern European populations anywhere in the country. (E.g., largest Croatian population in the country, third largest Hungarian population of any major city (by percentages), fifth largest Ukrainian community, huge Polish community for its size, etc.) That has an inherent, if subtle, effect on our food.

I would wager that there is a heck of a lot more haluski, stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, paczki, sauerkraut, goulash, etc., here than in the vast majority of U.S. cities, and even/especially the most lauded local chefs routinely incorporate that influence into their very modern dishes. That is at least relatively unique, and definitely a "defining" aspect of this region's cuisine. (In comparison to, say, Nashville -- where it was rare to find one package of Mrs. T's pierogies, rather than the two freezers full that is standard in Pittsburgh.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It lists a lot of gross food I don't like.
Haha... you have just been a ray of sunshine in this thread.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's the Pittsburgh Wiki's Food and Drinks section:

Culture of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It lists a lot of gross food I don't like.
Not sure how all of missed Chipped Ham

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Paczki is present in Pittsburgh... but most people here have no idea what it is. Paczki is huge in Detroit and Cleveland, however.

The Eastern European culinary heritage is certainly a significant element in Pittsburgh... but it is shared with Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee. It's part of Pittsburgh... but it's not Pittsburgh's like the Cheesesteak is Philly's.

The Buffalo Wing is a creation of Buffalo. Pierogies are something brought over from Eastern Europe that happen to be popular in places where those immigrant settled... today's Rust Belt. It's a subtle difference.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 36,533 times
After I announced I was moving to Pittsburgh, several people told me I had to try the pierogies and Primanti's. It is what it is, just accept it. The fries on the sandwiches and salads is another phenomenon I've not seen or heard of anywhere else.

Here is what I can't understand..... there are so many Italians in Pittsburgh but the pizza here is definitely below par. Did the Italians who emigrated here come from the part of Italy where they didn't make Pizza??

Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ2012 View Post
After I announced I was moving to Pittsburgh, several people told me I had to try the pierogies and Primanti's. It is what it is, just accept it. The fries on the sandwiches and salads is another phenomenon I've not seen or heard of anywhere else.
I sometimes have a hankering for fries on a salad. Have you tried it yet?

Quote:
Here is what I can't understand..... there are so many Italians in Pittsburgh but the pizza here is definitely below par. Did the Italians who emigrated here come from the part of Italy where they didn't make Pizza??
There were a few great pizza places decades ago. The owners sold the businesses when they retired, and the new owners changed the recipes to safe money on ingredients.

My husband's family is supposedly Italian. It's really sad to say this, but they are terrible cooks. I make better Italian food than they do, and I'm Irish. It really has to do with most of Pittsburgh's Italians aren't really Italian. They're watered down by marrying non-Italians for many generations. All that is Italian about most of them is their last name and some weird misplaced Italian pride even though they are less than 25% Italian. Case in point, my sister married a man who with a Italian last name but he's only 12.5% Italian. The rest of him is Irish. My sister is 100% Irish. They gave their children VERY Italian first names to go with the Italian last name, even though the children are over 90% Irish. People will think those kids are 100% Italian with the names they are sporting, but they are only 6% Italian, if that.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Philadelphia has the cheese steak and Anger

Quote:
I have a theory that when you remove Italians from the coast, they forget how to make their own food. I was shocked to discover I knew more about Italian cuisine than most of my Pittsburgh friends of Italian descent, and my knowledge was merely the (indirect) consequence of my (Jewish) grandparents growing up in South Philadelphia and learning the tricks of the trade from their Italian neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Weirton: like Morgantown without the pretense.

As far as "Pittsburgh Cuisine" goes, the Devonshire sandwich used to be it. Toast points topped with bacon topped with crabmeat or turkey topped with cheese sauce, then run under a broiler/salamander to heat it up. You can still get them here and there from time to time, but they're not the same as they used to be. Sodini's and Poli's served the best ones.

Fish sandwiches are not unique to Pgh. Love of fish sandwiches, maybe.
Weirton was the first place in West Virginia I went to as a college student. I had some delicious wings at a late-night greasy spoon and my (of-age) friend bought some cheap alcohol at one of the local liquor stores. I got a kick out of seeing the small, (but distinctly marked) kosher wine stock, which had accumulated a good bit of dust.

I recall the Union Grill on Craig Street having an excellent turkey Devonshire. This is very similar to Kentucky's "hot brown."

Foods/food terminologies I discovered in Pittsburgh (whether or not they're indigenous of and/or unique to the region):
The aforementioned turkey Devonshire
Pizza boats (as opposed to French bread pizza)
Stuffed banana peppers (never had anything like it in Philly)
Zucchini planks (as opposed to zucchini fries)
French fries as a sandwich or salad "garnish" (strictly served as an appetizer or side dish in Philly)
Chipped ham (Taylor ham was our go-to processed pork, although that's a different product entirely)
Haluski (I know this isn't Pittsburgh-specific, but I first ate it there)

Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Haha... you have just been a ray of sunshine in this thread.
She just needs a hug! I nominate Copanut.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
...And thus began the Great 248th City-Data Pizza Argument.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Pizza did originate in southern Italy. Maybe most of our Italians came from northern Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh