Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,911,394 times

Advertisements

Q-tip, did you install a new window? Or is the "after" picture of the kitchen from a different angle than the "before" picture?

Also, it looks like you're putting up a lot of new drywall. I assume it's replacing plaster and lathe? How do you feel about the result? I really like my plaster walls, but they do have cracks and imperfections (especially apparent with semi-gloss paint). I can't decide if it's better to keep the original plaster or replace it for a more perfectly flat wall. I'm leaning towards keeping them just because that's free and easy, but am curious if drywall can truly fill plaster's shoes in an old house. Replacing it would give me access to the wiring, which may or may not have hidden knob & tube junction boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,579,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Q-tip, did you install a new window? Or is the "after" picture of the kitchen from a different angle than the "before" picture?

Also, it looks like you're putting up a lot of new drywall. I assume it's replacing plaster and lathe? How do you feel about the result? I really like my plaster walls, but they do have cracks and imperfections (especially apparent with semi-gloss paint). I can't decide if it's better to keep the original plaster or replace it for a more perfectly flat wall. I'm leaning towards keeping them just because that's free and easy, but am curious if drywall can truly fill plaster's shoes in an old house. Replacing it would give me access to the wiring, which may or may not have hidden knob & tube junction boxes.
No, that's a bit above my capability. I'm more of what you might call a "jerk of all trades" as I do a little bit of everything and none of it especially well.

We used Window's Unlimited to put a new one in. Not only did they not put the window I specified in (wanted the dimensions to match the other older windows in the house), the rep overcharged my mother in law's card (the window was a gift) and split with the money. The management at the company then told her that they didn't bear any responsibility for the employee's actions as he no longer worked for them, and that she would have to contact the police. Apparently they hadn't heard of respondeat superior. No clue whether or not Discover pursued anything against them after they reimbursed her for the theft. I can't say this enough: Don't use them.

I like the density of plaster, but I'm inexperienced with it and drywall is easier to install. Taking the plaster out is going to make one hell of a mess. The dust from it is in its own special category as it has a glue like quality, and tends to require multiple cleanings to fully remove. Breathing it is obviously not advised either. You might also want to consider the fact that you may or may not find numerous horrors waiting behind the walls. If you have the money to deal with them its better to address them sooner rather than later, but if you don't its just going to be an added stress that you can't hope to resolve for some time.

Aesthetically I find that the drywall works just fine if you can keep or introduce other levels of elegant detail (baseboards, light fixtures, etc). I do a shoddy enough job of dry walling that it has plenty of imperfections to match the rooms that still have plaster.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,523,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
The dust from it is in its own special category as it has a glue like quality, and tends to require multiple cleanings to fully remove.
From the picture, you're clearly somebody who appreciates a quality shop vac, so that's good.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
From the picture, you're clearly somebody who appreciates a quality shop vac, so that's good.
Plaster dust killed two of my normal ones so I got frustrated and made an impulse buy. Figured I'd have a pretty (and expensive) trash can if the dust claimed another victim.

So far so good.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM

I can't stress this enough if anyone comes across this post. Don't ever use that windows unlimited company. They are con artists and the BBB gives them an F rating for a reason:

Windows Unlimited Inc Review - WINDOWS in West Mifflin, PA - BBB Business Review - BBB serving 28 counties covering Western Pennsylvania

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 PM

That's too bad about the window company. Thanks for the warning. It really is frustrating how difficult it is to find even decent home improvement people, let alone a good one. Thanks for your input on the plaster v. drywall. I think I'll just stick with the plaster; doesn't sound like it's worth all that effort and mess just to get rid of a few slightly visible cracks and bumps.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That's too bad about the window company. Thanks for the warning. It really is frustrating how difficult it is to find even decent home improvement people, let alone a good one. Thanks for your input on the plaster v. drywall. I think I'll just stick with the plaster; doesn't sound like it's worth all that effort and mess just to get rid of a few slightly visible cracks and bumps.
If you can patch and maintain it I would do so. You can do that with the walls a lot longer than you can the ceilings though.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
If you can patch and maintain it I would do so. You can do that with the walls a lot longer than you can the ceilings though.
I'll stick with that as the plan. When I first moved in I went through practically a gallon of plaster patching compound. It may not sound like a lot, but bear in mind a glob the size of a marble can cover most cracks. Seems to be holding up okay, though in some places I think I filled the crack but actually made it more visible due to the different sheen of the patching compound or having it not exactly flat with the rest of the wall.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,621,008 times
Quote:
That's too bad about the window company. Thanks for the warning. It really is frustrating how difficult it is to find even decent home improvement people, let alone a good one.
I've posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating. I used to work for a very reputable general contractor. Tips on how to choose good home improvement companies:
Ask your friends and neighbors which companies they use. Contact those companies and ask for references. Contact the references. Ask the references if the work was done to their liking, and if it was done in a timely manner for the price quoted. How did the company handle any problems that arose? Was the job site cleaned up and organized at the end of each workday?

Verify that the company has the proper licenses and insurance. Also check with the state licensing agency to see if there are any complaints filed.

Ask to see a finished project and to tour one of their job sites.

Join Angie's List and contact "A" rated companies (ask the questions I mentioned earlier and ask for references, etc.). The reviews on AL are real. We worked very hard to maintain our "A" rating at the company I used to work for.

Do your homework so that you have some idea of what a project like yours will cost. Get estimates from at least three companies. If any of the estimates is dramatically higher or lower than average find out why. Make sure that quantities and types of materials used are the about the same on each estimate.

Run from anyone telling you that you don't need a permit for structural work. Building codes are there for a reason.

Nothing is foolproof, but if you follow these guidelines you will have a much better chance of getting the work done properly for a fair price. Many of the horror stories I've heard are from people who didn't do their homework when choosing a contractor, or who chose the too good to be true estimate, or cut corners by not getting permits for structural work...

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 AM

482 posts, read 1,229,735 times
Quote:
Plaster dust killed two of my normal ones so I got frustrated and made an impulse buy. Figured I'd have a pretty (and expensive) trash can if the dust claimed another victim.

So far so good.
Get the drywall dust bags and use them... I've taken down many of old plaster and 'brown coat' walls, and the bags have let virtually no dust through them. The only time I've been afraid for my shop vac is when I sucked up water while forgetting to remove the cartridge filter inside .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh