Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,014,279 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in a room located in hazelwood pittsburgh pa. I pay 280$ in rent this incldes electricity heat water and business class internet as well as laundry. Its I the projects and we have a mice problem during the winter time and the bathroom only comes with a bath tub and no shower. Iwas looking for apartments getting ready to get my own place and i notice their price is kind of close to what I'm paying now .

I'm not familiar with the pay scale when it comes to housing and was wondering if someone more experienced could help me out thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
$280 seems appropriate for the neighborhood since it includes electricity, heat, water, internet and laundry. If you had to pay for those utilities yourself, you'd find out just how affordable it is to live there.

My electric and gas are approximately $100 each, my internet would probably be $70 if I didn't have a bundle, my water is about $80. If you would pay $10/week to do laundry at a laundry mat, you're saving $40/month. Of course, the utilities might be cheaper there, but I'm providing this as an example to understand what you're paying in rent.

So that's $390 for just utilities and laundry at the household. Divide that by the number of people living there. Let's assume it's just you and your roommate. Divide by 2. $390/2 = $195 for your half of utilities. $280 - $190 = $97.50 <<<that's what you're paying in rent without utilities.

I don't know anyone who can find a place cheaper than that. If you've found a nicer place for the same money, consider yourself lucky.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
$280 seems appropriate for the neighborhood since it includes electricity, heat, water, internet and laundry. If you had to pay for those utilities yourself, you'd find out just how affordable it is to live there.

My electric and gas are approximately $100 each, my internet would probably be $70 if I didn't have a bundle, my water is about $80. If you would pay $10/week to do laundry at a laundry mat, you're saving $40/month. Of course, the utilities might be cheaper there, but I'm providing this as an example to understand what you're paying in rent.

So that's $390 for just utilities and laundry at the household. Divide that by the number of people living there. Let's assume it's just you and your roommate. Divide by 2. $390/2 = $195 for your half of utilities. $280 - $190 = $97.50 <<<that's what you're paying in rent without utilities.

I don't know anyone who can find a place cheaper than that. If you've found a nicer place for the same money, consider yourself lucky.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
I agree with Hopes, it sounds like a fair price to me, assuming that something is being done about the mice. A tub without a shower is kind of weird, but definitely liveable. Is the plumbing there at all? You can get a no-frills showerhead for a couple of bucks if that's all that is missing.

Living alone, my water bill is usually only $35. But Hopes and I are both homeowners; typically a renter won't pay a water bill at all. I still think you're paying a fair price, but you don't need to budget for a water bill when looking for an apartment around Pittsburgh. If you go find a studio apartment without a roommate and begin putting bills in your name and paying for laundry you would have to double your current rent at the very least.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Currently I live in a room located in hazelwood pittsburgh pa. I pay 280$ in rent this incldes electricity heat water and business class internet as well as laundry. Its I the projects and we have a mice problem during the winter time and the bathroom only comes with a bath tub and no shower. Iwas looking for apartments getting ready to get my own place and i notice their price is kind of close to what I'm paying now .

I'm not familiar with the pay scale when it comes to housing and was wondering if someone more experienced could help me out thanks.
Considering all of the utilities included and laundry privileges (also free?) that doesn't sound too outrageous. You can probably rent a place to yourself for something in that price range in Hazelwood and/or Glenhazel but you're all but guaranteed to either have to shell out for all those utilities yourself, deal with a slumlord, or both.

As for "something being done about the mice," if you live in a mice-prone area, which I presume Hazelwood would be with all the open/wooded space nearby, there's really not a lot you can do in wintertime except lay traps and check 'em every morning. They're determined to get inside during wintertime and they'll chew through just about anything to do it. If they're getting in via holes in the building such as where water spigots and other utility lines are entering the building, the best way to block off any excess gaps big enough for mice to get through is to plug them with steel wool. That's about the only thing mice won't chew through.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I agree with Hopes, it sounds like a fair price to me, assuming that something is being done about the mice. A tub without a shower is kind of weird, but definitely liveable. Is the plumbing there at all? You can get a no-frills showerhead for a couple of bucks if that's all that is missing.

Living alone, my water bill is usually only $35. But Hopes and I are both homeowners; typically a renter won't pay a water bill at all. I still think you're paying a fair price, but you don't need to budget for a water bill when looking for an apartment around Pittsburgh. If you go find a studio apartment without a roommate and begin putting bills in your name and paying for laundry you would have to double your current rent at the very least.
Are there any efficiences for 480 with everything included around here?
Do those exist?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Considering all of the utilities included and laundry privileges (also free?) that doesn't sound too outrageous. You can probably rent a place to yourself for something in that price range in Hazelwood and/or Glenhazel but you're all but guaranteed to either have to shell out for all those utilities yourself, deal with a slumlord, or both.

As for "something being done about the mice," if you live in a mice-prone area, which I presume Hazelwood would be with all the open/wooded space nearby, there's really not a lot you can do in wintertime except lay traps and check 'em every morning. They're determined to get inside during wintertime and they'll chew through just about anything to do it. If they're getting in via holes in the building such as where water spigots and other utility lines are entering the building, the best way to block off any excess gaps big enough for mice to get through is to plug them with steel wool. That's about the only thing mice won't chew through.
Thankyou for the info

Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Are there any efficiences for 480 with everything included around here?
Do those exist?
This is in Crafton. A studio for $450 including heat and water.

Studio with heat and hot water included

There's this in Oakland that sounds too good to be true.

Furnished studio & 1 bedroom apartments near Carnegie Mellon & Pitt

Here's an efficiency in Whitehall with heat included for $380.

Efficiency/Heat Included

Efficiency in Oakland heat and water included for $475.

Convenient Efficiency Apt in Oakland!

That's about it if you want a place on your own without sharing an apartment.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
I think that's legit. I looked at a building on Melwood at that price a few years ago. Landlord was an energetic elderly Greek man. He basically said he has already made his money, why should he gouge? Those apartments were furnished, but they were *seriously* dated and old (talking slightly rusted claw-footed oven type of stuff here). Looked like a slummy apartment even for the 1940s. Not a terrible deal given the price and location though, and he seemed like an honest guy. The lease was the simplest lease I have ever seen (I didn't rent there, he just gave me a copy of the lease while I considered it).

Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I think that's legit. I looked at a building on Melwood at that price a few years ago. Landlord was an energetic elderly Greek man. He basically said he has already made his money, why should he gouge? Those apartments were furnished, but they were *seriously* dated and old (talking slightly rusted claw-footed oven type of stuff here). Looked like a slummy apartment even for the 1940s. Not a terrible deal given the price and location though, and he seemed like an honest guy. The lease was the simplest lease I have ever seen (I didn't rent there, he just gave me a copy of. the lease while I considered it).
It sounds like an upgrade for the OP who is living in Hazelwood with the rats.

He's lucky it's furnished because he likely doesn't own furniture since he has been renting a room in a house.

He should call quickly before someone else gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh