Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM

28 posts, read 62,772 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at some houses in Regent Square and am pretty committed to sending my daughter to public school. I am looking for information on the schools in Edgewood and Wilkinsburg and how they compare. If you think they are bad, can you tell me why?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,058,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherilyns View Post
I'm looking at some houses in Regent Square and am pretty committed to sending my daughter to public school. I am looking for information on the schools in Edgewood and Wilkinsburg and how they compare. If you think they are bad, can you tell me why?

Thanks for any help!

Wilkinsburg is one of the worst school districts in the state. Edgewood is in the Woodland Hills school district, and is one of the worst districts in the area.

There is no shortage of information about these two school districts. Use the search feature on this forum to see the many threads about these schools.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,495,326 times
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
A old poster used to say that some Regent Square parents thought that Edgewood Primary was okay. Edgewood Primary is the feeder school for the Woodland Hills School District. I don't think he ever said it was a great school.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Wilkinsburg is one of the worst school districts in the state. Edgewood is in the Woodland Hills school district, and is one of the worst districts in the area.

There is no shortage of information about these two school districts. Use the search feature on this forum to see the many threads about these schools.
Thank you. I have searched the forum but couldn't find any recent information. Neighborhoods and schools can change pretty quickly. I guess I am looking for more info than just "good" or "bad". What makes it a good school or a bad school? Schoolreports.com is not helpful. If there are other places to look online, please let me know.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I have searched the forum but couldn't find any recent information. Neighborhoods and schools can change pretty quickly. I guess I am looking for more info than just "good" or "bad". What makes it a good school or a bad school? Schoolreports.com is not helpful. If there are other places to look online, please let me know.
I don't think you are going to find what you want. Wilkinsburg is an awful district. If you were set on public school I wouldn't even consider buying a house there. Woodland Hills is pretty bad too. At best, you should probably only consider sending you child to Edgewood Elementary.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,058,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I don't think you are going to find what you want. Wilkinsburg is an awful district. If you were set on public school I wouldn't even consider buying a house there. Woodland Hills is pretty bad too. At best, you should probably only consider sending you child to Edgewood Elementary.
There is a very good chance that the elementary schools in the Woodland Hills school district are going to be consolidated. Edgewood Elementary won't likely be a predominantly white middle class school after the consolidation. How you interpret that is up to you.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There is a very good chance that the elementary schools in the Woodland Hills school district are going to be consolidated. Edgewood Elementary won't likely be a predominantly white middle class school after the consolidation.

I guess they keep losing students. I thought they just made it K-6.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,138,122 times
Are you not considering any houses within the Pittsburgh city limits? In terms of public schools, that gives you a lot more / "better" options than Edgewood or Wilkinsburg.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,558,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Are you not considering any houses within the Pittsburgh city limits? In terms of public schools, that gives you a lot more / "better" options than Edgewood or Wilkinsburg.
And in case the OP isn't familiar with our kooky municipal boundaries, part of Rgt Sq is in the City of Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh Public School district.

Of the four municipalities which share the Rgt Sq neighborhood, Wilkinsburg is its own district, Edgewood and Swissvale sections are Woodland Hills SD, and the remaining corner is City/PPS.

And yes, this question has come up before, so do make the most of the search function.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I would prefer to be in the city limits, but saw a few houses I liked for the right price in the other municipalities in Regent square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh