Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times

Advertisements

My feedback is that it's accurate, but the "in decline" net could be cast wider, though it depends on one's definition of "going bad." Those "We Buy Houses" people are buying properties left and right for peanuts and renting them (despite their claims of being flippers primarily) to low-to-average quality tenants, rather than them ending up in the hands of good people who want cheap starter homes. Have had at least 5 houses on my block go that way in less than a year at this point. Haven't seen an uptick in crime or anything (the average loudness of the street has gone up though), but it's leaving an impression on others around here who are getting more antsy and worried, and that just makes more good people consider selling and moving themselves. I think fears are somewhat exaggerated in terms of the impact of these tenants directly, but it's the domino effect of more of my neighbours potentially moving because of it all that is the long term problem. This is closer to the country club, just north/west of Long Road, east of 130.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:02 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Also does anyone have any feedback about the map??? Most people who posted already are some of the few other people on the forum who also know Penn Hills... So should I add or delete or recategorize any areas?

Notably bad:
Lincoln Park/Eastwood/Nadine
Hulton Arbors/Leechburg Gardends/Stotler Townhomes aka Bale Drive Apts

Bad but not too bad yet:
Laketon Heights north of Fransktown
Pinewood Square/Oak Manor Apts

In decline soon to be bad:
Idlewood Townhomes
Most of Laketon Heights south of Frankstown
Most of Universal
Lee Drive Park area Cresent Hills
The maps good uptown kid. Pretty accurate to my knowledge

Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM

440 posts, read 549,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Well not all of Penn Hills is bad and its bad parts aren't as bad as neighboring East Hills, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood or Wilkinsburg. However, there have been dozens of drug related homicides since criminals moved eastward into Penn Hills in the late 90's. Here's a map of the bad areas, the worst area being SW Penn Hills which isnt exactly a hood yet. Though hybrid gangs and independent drug dealers have plagued the area with their violence, along with the other factors of decline (including white/black middle class flight, bad schools, decreasing property values) and by 2000 riff-raff had slummed out most SW Penn Hills streets. Still like you said most streets in SW Penn Hills don't look too bad...
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...87086,0.209255
As seen in the map its not just SW Penn Hills, there are several section 8 complexes and a few more neighborhoods that are currently safe are going through decline

Key: only the black & red areas are bad...
Thank You Uptown, that Map is exactly what I needed and really appreciate it. Subsequently I have been romping around in the "bad" area . I grew up in a somewhat iffy area of PA and moved to another "bad" area in my teens and 20s-- so my concept of a good or bad area is somewhat off kilter. What some of my family considers horrible I consider fine, while what I may consider bad my Philly and Bmore friends laugh at me. I just didn't want to send out of town workers into a area that might not be too great for them-- While I understand its not a war zone in any of those place and for most part drug dealers do not try to start trouble with most regular folk I still rather have them in the best place possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Don't we have this same Penn Hills discussion every other week on here?
That is my Bad, I know there is a ton of repeats on this board.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Don't we have this same Penn Hills discussion every other week on here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
That is my Bad, I know there is a ton of repeats on this board.
Don't apologize. This thread produced the best Penn Hills information I've seen to date.

The map Uptown made will be very useful to future readers. Your starting this thread inspired that!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Quote:
My feedback is that it's accurate, but the "in decline" net could be cast wider, though it depends on one's definition of "going bad." Those "We Buy Houses" people are buying properties left and right for peanuts and renting them (despite their claims of being flippers primarily) to low-to-average quality tenants, rather than them ending up in the hands of good people who want cheap starter homes. Have had at least 5 houses on my block go that way in less than a year at this point. Haven't seen an uptick in crime or anything (the average loudness of the street has gone up though), but it's leaving an impression on others around here who are getting more antsy and worried, and that just makes more good people consider selling and moving themselves. I think fears are somewhat exaggerated in terms of the impact of these tenants directly, but it's the domino effect of more of my neighbours potentially moving because of it all that is the long term problem. This is closer to the country club, just north/west of Long Road, east of 130.
I got ya... I put this Lee Drive Park area in the category of "declining in value"...

Quote:
The maps good uptown kid. Pretty accurate to my knowledge
Thanks for the feedback...

Quote:
Thank You Uptown, that Map is exactly what I needed and really appreciate it. Subsequently I have been romping around in the "bad" area . I grew up in a somewhat iffy area of PA and moved to another "bad" area in my teens and 20s-- so my concept of a good or bad area is somewhat off kilter. What some of my family considers horrible I consider fine, while what I may consider bad my Philly and Bmore friends laugh at me. I just didn't want to send out of town workers into a area that might not be too great for them-- While I understand its not a war zone in any of those place and for most part drug dealers do not try to start trouble with most regular folk I still rather have them in the best place possible.
Thanks, glad that I could help... You seem like you have a good sense of crime levels and seem like you probably have the right ideas on the different areas.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Uptown Kid's analysis is relatively fair.
Uptown Kid is an up-to-the-minute, well-informed, wide-awake sort of chap. His observations are almost invariably accurate and worthwhile.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Uptown Kid is the go-to person for information few of us can even pretend to have. His depth of knowledge and his passion for analyzing these statistics are always impressive. I'd say he better qualifies as an informative poster than any of us who have won the honor. The rest of us have broad knowledge that can be easily replicated by others. He has a niche. I told him many years ago that he should try to pursue a career where these interests and talents can shine. He could even just create his own website or blog for his analysis of crime. In this day and age, you never know what future that could bring.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Thanks a lot Hopes & squarian... I definitely can say I've enjoyed exchanging info with yal... I admit (especially when I first joined the forum) I hijacked threads with my gang info, but like Hopes noted I guess I'm kinda passionate about telling people where not to live.

IMO being an expert is easy... Its not a burden to post any of my many long/complex list, since my trick is that there all stored in my I-pod notes, and they don't take long to begin with. Also I'm only up to date because I peruse the Triblive, the PPG, and cbspittsburgh on my smart phone; anyone can do that. Long story short its not that difficult to become a crime expert. And know that I really only know as much bout the streets/gangs as the average inner city Joe. I bet most younger people involved/formerly involved the streets can you everything I can and more... Plus not everything I know about the rough areas of Pittsburgh is first hand information either... In fact, I've learned a substantial amount of facts/stats from google search/articles/PDFs/the Allegheny County Homicide Map.... So the internet makes it all easy to obtain half of this knowledge... Not too mention YouTube/social media where supposed gang members openly go at it, but I guess here you actually have to be in the know. Though its easy to know what I know if your around the urban environment, because gangs and violence control a large part of many inner city youth/young adults lives... So in way you have be in the hood to know about more specific info such as thing about gangs/neighborhood rivalries. Ya' see I grew up lower middle class and my family constantly moved around different safe and not so safe areas of the City, so I've always had a good feel of the different neighborhoods. Shoot at one point we even moved up to the North Hills, then after two years relocated down to West Homestead... Then after 15 months we moved to Chartiers. However, now ironically I live in Lincoln-Lemington with my buddies (going against my own warnings on this forum), and am really seeing first hand stuff on a dayliy basis. For example before with my limited experiences in the neighborhoods I thought Larimer was clearly the worse of the two, but now I know Lincoln is the worst hood in Zone 5 other than Homewood... The Lincoln Park neighborhood of Penn Hills is only a walk away from where I live, and you can really see its decline as you can only tell by some of the houses what's Lincon-Lemington and what's Lincoln Park...

Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Don't downplay what you do. Sure, almost anyone can do it, but not everyone is interested enough to do it. Most people want access to the knowledge without the work. That's where you come into the picture. You're the middleman between the data and the people who prefer the data to be summarized in various formats that are easy to understand.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
For what it's worth, I heard gunshots last night 2 different times coming from Hulton Arbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh