Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Parts of Westmoreland County including parts of Murrysville (Frankin Regional's primary neighborhood) are claimed by white supremist groups... IMO blacks should avoid all of Westmoreland excluding the mostly rock bottom towns of Arnold, Monesson, and New Kensington.
You are absolutely right, I use to go through there to go fishing and stopped in a bar on route 22 and it was straight out of a Eddie Murphy movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, I use to go through there to go fishing and stopped in a bar on route 22 and it was straight out of a Eddie Murphy movie.
Lol

Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Is this Murrysville problem a new development? A dear friend of mine owned a home in Murrysville in the 80s prior to relocating to San Fran after Chevron bought Gulf. He never once mentioned encountering any problems raising his family there. Without writing a book, you'll have to take my word that I know he would have told me.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is this Murrysville problem a new development? A dear friend of mine owned a home in Murrysville in the 80s prior to relocating to San Fran after Chevron bought Gulf. He never once mentioned encountering any problems raising his family there. Without writing a book, you'll have to take my word that I know he would have told me.
While I could see Murrysville being somewhat unfriendly to blacks, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the Klan chapter that happens to meet there is representative of (much less frequented in significant part by) residents of the municipality itself. Though racism runs up and down the socioeconomic ladder, up north at least, Klan members (and their own extreme brand of racism) are seldomly upwardly mobile like most of the families in Murrysville.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
Quote:
Murrysville is a nice suburb that's debatably better than Monroeville... However, they don't like blacks in the neighborhood, that's just the way it is.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Murrysville is a nice suburb that's debatably better than Monroeville... However, they don't like blacks in the neighborhood, that's just the way it is.
That seems perfectly plausible to me, but basing it on the fact the Klan meets nearby does not. That's like deducing that Murrysville has a huge Jewish population because it's home to a Jewish Country Club (Westmoreland), when in fact, most come from the nearer Eastern suburbs like Churchill and Monroeville (and very few from Murrysville itself).

Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
While I could see Murrysville being somewhat unfriendly to blacks, I find it incredibly hard to believe that the Klan chapter that happens to meet there is representative of (much less frequented in significant part by) residents of the municipality itself. Though racism runs up and down the socioeconomic ladder, up north at least, Klan members (and their own extreme brand of racism) are seldomly upwardly mobile like most of the families in Murrysville.

Just because they don't wear the pointy hats does not mean that they don't support them.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
The friend I'm talking about is black man. He never mentioned any problems raising his family there, and he often discussed racial issues of all sorts with me throughout the years. He liked living in Murrysville. He was proud of his accomplishments and glad to be there. He was my most influential mentor.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Just because they don't wear the pointy hats does not mean that they don't support them.
The "unfriendliness to blacks" starting point on the racism sliding scale falls well short of the Klan. Even most "racist" people think the Klan is nuts these days. Remember also the Klan's historical animus toward Catholics.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-24-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The friend I'm talking about is black man. He never mentioned any problems raising his family there, and he often discussed racial issues of all sorts with me throughout the years. He liked living in Murrysville. He was proud of his accomplishments and glad to be there.
Hopes, my two brother in-laws went to Franklin Regional and lived in Murrysville told me want they went through while living there. My wife and I thought about moving there until they talked to us about it.

It is proably not bad if you are an adult and working and stay to yourself or you do a Herman Cain and ignore anything that you may see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh