Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:30 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's probably a sign of how inconvenient the liquor stores are. If the state put them somewhere useful, they'd get robbed more often, like the banks and gas stations do now.
Name a place where it's Un-useful, for lack of a better word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Name a place where it's Un-useful, for lack of a better word.
I'm just saying they are disproportionately likely to have space that is off the main road or otherwise out of the way. Robbers and customers both want something easy to get into and out of.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's probably a sign of how inconvenient the liquor stores are. If the state put them somewhere useful, they'd get robbed more often, like the banks and gas stations do now.
I don't even see why this is a concern. Pharmacies are getting robbed almost daily in western PA. I don't hear an calls to put them under state control. Beer distributors also have a fair amount of cash on hand, I don't recall them being robbed very often.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I don't even see why this is a concern.
I don't either. I'm just thinking it out.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Careful what you wish for. I spend a lot of time near Jamestown, NY and I always stop at the Edinboro exit for two things: gas and rum. Gas is usually 30-40 cents lower in PA. The rum that I buy is 2 bucks less in PA. Will that change?

How many liquor store hold ups have you heard of in PA? Happens everyday in NY and NJ.

And do I need some clerk to tell me what wine to buy, don't think so.
I can't speak for the middle of PA or NY. But when I'm back visiting family, I can save a buttload on stocking up in CT or Westchester Cty. And if I forget, there's always the Wine Library in NJ.

And even the superstores don't carry a lot of the wines I would like to buy, including a lot of sub $15 ones. I'd like to tell the owner to order some and have him actually do it instead of having to go through paperwork and fees and waiting.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Shop 'n Save in South Fayette sells beer and has a built in state store. So they have one of the best booze selections in that part of the state. I believe several of the Sheets in the state also sell beer, but I've never been to one.

Honestly, the idea of private liquor stores doesn't impress me much either. I've been to them in Wyoming and North Dakota and they're still inconvenient. Nothing compares to Europe. I still remember the grocery store I was at in Florence, Italy. Two large complete aisles of everything from mini cans of beer to a huge selection of Kentucky bourbons. Not to mention bottles of locally made wine of 2 Euros each. I don't think you can find anything like that anywhere here in the US.
fyi the one in Canonsburg doesn't I stopped there on a holiday last year and was sort of assuming they did but I guess they didn't figure a way out of the stranglehold. If Sheetz doesn't bother you know it must be a pain in the arse because they try to offer everything possible. I'll never leave WV without beer again lol I can get a 6 pack of Yuengling (when I'm in the mood for a domestic) at a gas station down the street for like 5 bucks.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Can the privatization be stopped? I was talking to someone the other day that feels this is going to happen and can't be stopped. I haven't really been following it much because I figure it is a bunch of bs and will never happen.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
The State Store closest to me is right next door to a bank.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I believe the fact that PA Wine and Spirits stores are rarely robbed is because they are state owned. Could be wrong.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
I've wanted privatization for decades and now it doesn't matter to me. In a bit over 90 days, I'll be a resident of the four corners region of SW Colorado. Oh well...... they already have a private system in place (with it's own flaws..... like grocery stores sell beer... but only 3.2 beer). But their wine & liquor is far cheaper & available there including all of the west coast wines without having to "SLO" the item to get it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh