Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times

Advertisements

I don't like my wife going alone to Waterworks Mall in Fox Chapel. Some guy jumped in a lady's car, put a knife to her babies neck, kidnapped them both, and raped her in front of her child....

...that had to be the worst crime this year.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 AM

511 posts, read 1,936,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I don't like my wife going alone to Waterworks Mall in Fox Chapel. Some guy jumped in a lady's car, put a knife to her babies neck, kidnapped them both, and raped her in front of her child....

...that had to be the worst crime this year.
At least they got the guy; now they have a Pittsburgh City cop there all the time at Giant Eagle.

Fox Chapel of course is known as one of the more affluent areas surrounding the city, but the first thing I noticed when I started shopping there was all the trashy people hanging out in that plaza. I asked a girl who works at Wal Mart about what I witnessed, and she pointed out to me that its the closest Wal Mart to the city and it's easily accessible by bus for the city folk. A nurse at UPMC St Margaret, which borders Waterworks, told me that at least one of the banks in front of the plaza is robbed every month.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
I guess I don't care what way you take them.

We have a terrific relationship. Oddly enough, it was a year today that I officially moved to Pittsburgh, and the 7th of November will be the anniversary that she answered an add I had on Craigslist. We became engaged on August 9th, and we are planning a huge wedding. We travel alot and enjoy every minute together. I've never laughed so much, and never had someone who's turned me on more than her. More information than you wanted? Oh well, just trying to illustrate.

I never tell her any of those things without her asking me first. When we first moved into the Point Breeze area, she asked me what I thought about her walking home along Penn Avenue. In case you are not aware, Point Breeze borders a neighborhood that boasts the most murders in Allegheny County this year, and less than a block from where she works, a woman was found chopped in half a little more than a month ago. So maybe you can see my concern there. As far being downtown, she was taking an eveninc class at CCAC, and got down there early once, and went to the Mcdonalds at Forbes and Wood Street. She told me a couple of guys were hitting on her and followed her out of Mcdonalds, so I didn't have to tell her anything there, she found out that Mcdonalds isn't such a great place to hang out. When we go to Pirates games we go by there often and it's packed with a crowd that I'd rather not be around.

As far as the incident at the Sunoco near my home, it wasn't even 8am on a Sunday morning, and I'm just minding my own business walking across Penn Ave to get some orange juice. There were two guys in an Isuzu Trooper, one got out, and since I have great peripheral vision, I could see the passenger watching every step I made, and did so after I left too. Someone was recently shot in the back when a robbery attempt went bad in that area, so maybe you can understand that?

We really only had this talk when we first moved in. She knows in my year here that I have gotten a good feel for the city and whats good and not good. We had a good understanding that when we moved into Point Breeze/Regent Square area, that we were moving into one of the most happening new areas of the city, but at the same time, we were not all that far from evil. If you don't believe me, pay attention to the news. All we really mention to eachother on a daily basis is maybe she's seen the police somewhere, or I'll mention I saw in the news that something happened here or there. We paid particular attention when that woman was found cut in half, and a week later, another woman was found shot dead while riding her bike.
I was at Mom's when I heard about the poor woman they found cut in half -- what happened with that? Did they find the guy who killed her?

And hey -- I get what your saying... the area around the building I clean is getting rougher. Just found out yesterday that the local pizza chain no longer delivers to there -- too dangerous. THAT'S not good. Told my husband and now he's concerned about me, too.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:14 AM

237 posts, read 859,975 times
Dude, I was just trying to understand where you are coming from. If you don't care to explain it, that is fine.

I get it, I'm just supposed to take whatever you say at face value and not try to understand better when I think it is vague. Whatever.

I am well acquainted with your area and with Homewood and the North Side, so I take offense at you stating otherwise. If you are getting everything you know about these communities from the news, you are missing out on a lot.

Do not tell me that the news isn't full of sensationalism. I know it is - I worked in that industry and it is sick how the sensationalism can create mis-information and paranoia. Yes, even in the tough neighborhoods.

For example, there has been very little said in the media about the fact that the woman who was cut in half was not from Pittsburgh and was likely dumped from a car, meaning that the crime scene could actually be anywhere and is more likely near her home (Greensburg). But that kind of information doesn't draw Pittsburgh viewers or up the ratings for Pittsburgh stations.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I was at Mom's when I heard about the poor woman they found cut in half -- what happened with that? Did they find the guy who killed her?

And hey -- I get what your saying... the area around the building I clean is getting rougher. Just found out yesterday that the local pizza chain no longer delivers to there -- too dangerous. THAT'S not good. Told my husband and now he's concerned about me, too.
Nothing yet, all they know is that she had a long list of arrests for drugs and prostitution and theft by deception. I believe they originally said she hailed from Greensburg area but was known to frequent our area alot. The woman that was found shot in the head the week after was just as sad.

We get a laugh when we want pizza too, because virtually no one delivers in our area, although it's very nice.

My fiance had lived in Etna for most of her time in Pittsburgh, and worked at CMU's campus. She was recently promoted and now works at their housing and dinning office on Penn Avenue. I lived in Shadyside up untill the past two months. So our time together in Shadyside opened her eyes to a Pittsburgh she really had never seen. She had really never been through East Liberty, Highland Park, and the area we now live in. The more knowledge I gained of the area the more I passed on to her. When she was promoted, I asked her to please be careful, because her office area borders East Liberty, and there's always homeless folks in Mellon Park. About two weeks after she started there, one of her coworkers came in to work beaten up pretty good. He was assaulted while walking up Penn Avenue toward 5th. She likes to walk to that plazza thats near Penn and Shady avenue that has the Subway and all the other stores in it. I've never told her not too, just asked her to please be very careful, because that's where her coworker was assaulted. Of course, right around the corner from her office is where they found the woman cut in half.

Maybe the way I've worded some of my replies/posts gives off the wrong meaning. I just basically mentioned a few areas, only after she asked me, to not go to after dark, and to watch closely while she is on her way home or on her way to work.

I am not paranoid at all, I am simply looking out for my loved one based on facts that happen every day.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
About two weeks after she started there, one of her coworkers came in to work beaten up pretty good. He was assaulted while walking up Penn Avenue toward 5th.
Interesting--I might know your fiance, VW. The guy who got beat up is one of my co-workers (though I work on main campus) and really close friends. He was really shook up by the assault, and the university was very ineffectual, because it didn't happen on their property.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
Dude, I was just trying to understand where you are coming from. If you don't care to explain it, that is fine.

I get it, I'm just supposed to take whatever you say at face value and not try to understand better when I think it is vague. Whatever.

I am well acquainted with your area and with Homewood and the North Side, so I take offense at you stating otherwise. If you are getting everything you know about these communities from the news, you are missing out on a lot.

Do not tell me that the news isn't full of sensationalism. I know it is - I worked in that industry and it is sick how the sensationalism can create mis-information and paranoia. Yes, even in the tough neighborhoods.

For example, there has been very little said in the media about the fact that the woman who was cut in half was not from Pittsburgh and was likely dumped from a car, meaning that the crime scene could actually be anywhere and is more likely near her home (Greensburg). But that kind of information doesn't draw Pittsburgh viewers or up the ratings for Pittsburgh stations.
Well, I'll just leave you to being the know it all you are then. You've lived through this, you've lived through that. You've worked in this industry, you've worked in that industry, and are all knowing. You are in the city every day and every night, so if it hasn't happened to you, its just sensationalism.

I get my information from personal experiences, personal acquaintences, my landlord who is a retired Pittsburgh Police Officer, and yes, the news. I agree that the news makes a big deal out of alot of nothing, especially the weather, but there's nothing sensationalized about the reporting of violent crimes.

It seems as though you are portraying me as paranoid or overreacting to my environment which I'm not. Read any post on the areas I have spoke about here and others will not only agree but will elaborate even more.

You are naive in the truest sense.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Interesting--I might know your fiance, VW. The guy who got beat up is one of my co-workers (though I work on main campus) and really close friends. He was really shook up by the assault, and the university was very ineffectual, because it didn't happen on their property.
Yeah, heard all about that.

I'd like to be reassured that all measures are being taken to protect everyone at Penn Avenue while they are inside those gates and in their office. I've gotten to know alot of people at CMU and consider them part of our family here in the city and care about them equally. I am happy to see the city is sprucing up that area near the office, tearing that old building down and making it an area called "Bakery Square".

Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Oh my!

What happened exactly to the co-worker (robbery/severity)? male/female/age/look(professional etc)?

Did i catch on the news that a relative of that lady cut in half was also murdered later?
I thought i saw that on the news as i was falling asleep...but I could be wrong.
With her situation I would assume her demise was a message to others. Its terrible that happened to her none the less. I also wonder if she returned to old habits and somebody killed her for fun. Things they report on the news doesnt even touch some of the stories that I have heard from police.

I was SHOCKED at that waterworks incident. I used to go shopping there late at night all the time. Usually with a couple friends..but that area is so nice.

calm down vw...
I get poked at for being just as paranoid as you....
and then they say " i should of listened to you " after something happens.

What do you guys think of this:

Older un-renovated areas of the city with lead pipes escalating (sp?) the urge for violence? I saw on Dr.Phil him mentioning that a heavy metal overload on the system can make a human act more agressive. I read about that awhile ago in what most people would say was "tin foil hat" info. But its an interesting thought to turn over as part of the reason for a problem. Especially when you think of all those old pipes in the houses that are not able to update for financial reasons.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
What happened exactly to the co-worker (robbery/severity)? male/female/age/look(professional etc)?
J. had gone to Trader Joe's on his way to work (he doesn't drive, so he was walking) and two teenagers jumped him just past the Nabisco building. He's a skinny dude with a lot of piercings, so they might have thought that he'd be an easy target. This was just about 9 am, and traffic was pretty heavy on Penn, but nobody stopped or anything. The kids were kicking him and took his messenger bag, but he fought back and swung his TJ's bag at them and managed to get away and run to the office, where he called the police. He gave them a description of the kids and drove around with the police and they found them just standing on a street corner in Penn Circle. J had to get stitches, and he's been to court a few times, but the kids aren't talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh