Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:40 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times

Advertisements

I still remember that famous Mama Cass commercial she did for Hardee's: "So we hurried on down to Hardee's, where the burgers are charcoal-broiled..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
what happened to all the Burger Chefs?
Wow, that's a blast from the past, I forgot about Burger Chefs!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There are more and more of them all the time. I know a couple of new ones have opened downtown, and there's one in Oakland that wasn't there ten years ago.
yeah, i think when i moved here (about 12 years ago), there really weren't any dunkin donuts around, at least not anywhere i went. now there are a bunch.

i didn't realize til i left new england how donut-centric that place is! not only did we have dunkin EVERYWHERE, we also had bess eaton and the whole donut and every town had at least one independent place (oh mrs. murphy's donuts, how i miss you).

my high school senior class went kinda crazy with the senior superlatives in the first place, but there were definitely 3 separate categories of "most likely to hang out at (name of donut place)".

Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Dunkin' Donuts was a thing, then they weren't and Krispy Kreme was a thing, then they weren't, and Dunkin' Donuts is a thing again.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
Wow, that's a blast from the past, I forgot about Burger Chefs!
pretty sure the last one in VA where I grew up turned into a Hardee's or closed by the mid-80s.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i think when i moved here (about 12 years ago), there really weren't any dunkin donuts around, at least not anywhere i went. now there are a bunch.

i didn't realize til i left new england how donut-centric that place is! not only did we have dunkin EVERYWHERE, we also had bess eaton and the whole donut and every town had at least one independent place (oh mrs. murphy's donuts, how i miss you).

my high school senior class went kinda crazy with the senior superlatives in the first place, but there were definitely 3 separate categories of "most likely to hang out at (name of donut place)".
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Dunkin' Donuts was a thing, then they weren't and Krispy Kreme was a thing, then they weren't, and Dunkin' Donuts is a thing again.
Thing is I almost never go to DD for donuts, I'm addict of their Ice Coffee, Ice Tea, and their breakfast selection (their Hash Browns are crack cocaine to me). I didn't pick up my DD addiction until I moved to Philly (a DD culture center, you can find a DD in all out Ghettos). It continued with my move to NYC where the Starbucks-DD competition is stark and fierce, everyone in this city comes down on one side or the other. Starbucks dominated Pittsburgh National-Coffee-Chain scene for a long time DD has only recently began to give Starbucks a run, they still need more locations around the city though...

EL
Bloomfield
L'ville
North Side
South Side
Shadyside
North Oakland
Uptown
The Strip

Could all support a DD

Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Krispy Kreme should still be a thing. Their glazed doughnuts are as addictive as crack. The doughnuts at DD suck, almost as much as Tim Hortons' do.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
this thread should be stickied for whenever the national dialogue turns to the question "why do they hate us?"

Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
One of the great things about the city, especially the east end, is that it isn't full of chain restaurants with huge parking lots.

People on here have given numerous options for relatively inexpensive meals (other than cooking for yourself).

There's also the whole foods & co-op hot bars. There are also lots of sandwich and pizza joints that aren't really worth mentioning. You can eat dinner out for less than $15 per person or even less than $10 in lots of places (that you don't have to tip waitstaff). You just get what you pay for. There are many places where I can eat for $15 and have enough left over to provide lunch the next day.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
, they still need more locations around the city though...

EL
Bloomfield
L'ville
North Side
South Side
Shadyside
North Oakland
Uptown
The Strip

Could all support a DD

I'm sure they would like to, but it wasn't that far in the past that Dunkin Donuts did have many more locations in Pittsburgh. I remember the DD at Liberty and S. Millvale that is long gone.

But they couldn't make a long term go of it in the past, I can see where they would be a tad cautious about adding locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh