Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 13,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Pittsburgh with our 3 children this summer. We are interested in renting - either a house or an apartment - ideally a 4 bedroom but would consider a 3 bedroom - and are looking mostly in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. I would like to find a place that is located in an area that has lots of families, parks, quiet streets where kids can play outside... Do certain parts of Squirrel Hill or Shadyside tend to have more families/kids? I am hoping to find a place that has lots of neighbors with kids so that my kids can easily make new friends/have play dates in their new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
How old are your kids? The reason I ask is because these aren't "go out and play in the neighborhood" type places. If they are younger, you may have to do more than go to the park or playground. There's a 50/50 chance the children they play with will be with a nanny. That makes it more difficult to establish relationships that result in play dates because the children won't be with the decision maker. If they're school aged, they'll meet most of their friends at school and activities. If they are younger, you might need to get involved in some activities that will connect you with other mothers who have children the same age.

There are lots of kids in both areas. You just won't see them playing outside. The playgrounds will be filled with kids at certain times of the day, especially the Frick Park playground. There's a Jewish Community Center in Squirrel Hill with lots of things to do. Both areas are within a short drive to many parks, but Squirrel Hill is the one best situated to parks. It has two huge parks, Frick Park on one end and Schenley on the other end. Mellon Park is between the two and the closest one to Shadyside. There are smaller parks and playgrounds scattered throughout Squirrel Hill. Shadyside not so much, but you can easily hop in the car and drive to any small parks and playgrounds in Squirrel Hill because the neighborhoods are right next to each other.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,563,934 times
You are going to be limited in trying to find a house for rent in those areas.

All parts of Sq Hill and Shadyside are fine. You should also look at Highland Park and Pt Breeze.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,825,326 times
Here's a house you'll probably like a lot. It's in a great part of Squirrel Hill, adjacent to Shadyside (across Fifth Avenue). It's $3650/mon. 10 Room Renovated 1903 Craftsman

Here's another expensive one in Shadyside: Shadyside Millionaires Row

How much do you want to spend? These are the most expensive parts of town, and house rentals don't come up that often.

Here are a few more I found on craigslist that are about half the price, and didn't seem scammy (there seem to be lots of real estate scammers these days):

Marvelous 4 Bedroom, 3 story duplex in Shadyside- Available in August

Beautiful duplex in Sq Hill

Great LocationTownhouse for rent

Great updated Large Duplex

Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori00515 View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Pittsburgh with our 3 children this summer. We are interested in renting - either a house or an apartment - ideally a 4 bedroom but would consider a 3 bedroom - and are looking mostly in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. I would like to find a place that is located in an area that has lots of families, parks, quiet streets where kids can play outside... Do certain parts of Squirrel Hill or Shadyside tend to have more families/kids? I am hoping to find a place that has lots of neighbors with kids so that my kids can easily make new friends/have play dates in their new city.
I feel Squirrel Hill and parts of Point Breeze would have more kids. Shadyside, not so much. Have you considered Aspinwall? There are a ton of kids in that location and a park. At some point there will be a riverfront park there and it is in a very good school district. You could walk to the zoo from Aspinwall. My family has walked there and we live further. The reason I mention Aspinwall is because you seem to really want your kids to be able to go outside and play. Aspinwall has a lot of that going on all the time. The city is a bit more reserved, but there are kids around.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 AM

781 posts, read 1,612,294 times
The only kid centric neighborhood I can think of is a newer one in Squirrel Hill. Summerset: Residences - Summerset at Frick Park
You will see kids riding bikes and running around. They have a community pool and park too. It is unique, it is like a midwestern suburb in the city. It is pricey and I have no idea how hard it is to rent there.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Here's a house you'll probably like a lot. It's in a great part of Squirrel Hill, adjacent to Shadyside (across Fifth Avenue). It's $3650/mon. 10 Room Renovated 1903 Craftsman

Here's another expensive one in Shadyside: Shadyside Millionaires Row

How much do you want to spend? These are the most expensive parts of town, and house rentals don't come up that often.

Here are a few more I found on craigslist that are about half the price, and didn't seem scammy (there seem to be lots of real estate scammers these days):

Marvelous 4 Bedroom, 3 story duplex in Shadyside- Available in August

Beautiful duplex in Sq Hill

Great LocationTownhouse for rent

Great updated Large Duplex
^ Some great suggestions.

With that being said I'd avoid Darlington Road (and Bartlett Street for that matter) between Murray and Shady. With both roads being one-way from Murray towards Shady that means you'd have to always be crossing congested Shady Avenue at unsignalized intersections to go anywhere in your vehicle. There have been times I've had to wait up to five full minutes to pull left out of one of these streets during the evening rush hour, and even then you sometimes have to hold your breath due to your visibility being blocked by parked vehicles on Shady (FedEx/UPS trucks are notorious for parking too close to these corners). Good luck crossing Shady at these intersections, too---you'd be much better walking up to Shady & Forbes and then back-tracking a block or two.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Why wouldn't you just turn right and go around the block?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM

606 posts, read 939,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The reason I ask is because these aren't "go out and play in the neighborhood" type places.
It depends on your individual street. I live in South Squirrel Hill. Quite often there are kids running around in the yards on my street, biking up and down the sidewalk, or playing hockey in the street when the weather's nice. But some streets it doesn't happen at all. On other streets there's outdoor play but mostly in the backyards.

I'd say the biggest factors there are 1.) is the street hilly? (a flat street is going to have a lot more play); 2.) is the street close enough to a commercial area that you'll have people who don't live there parking on the street and walking through? (will diminish and may eliminate unsupervised/lightly supervised outside play in the neighborhood); and 3.) is there a critical mass of kids of around the same age on the street?

Specifically, I'd say avoid the Shadyside commercial district, between Fifth and Ellsworth and between Aiken and Highland. It's not that it's a bad area, but it's not what you're looking for. Areas you might like, in roughly ascending order of price, include south Squirrel Hill near Monitor St.; the neighborhood across Beechwood from Blue Slide park, between Forward & Douglas; most of South Point Breeze, especially near the Frick museum; the part of Squirrel Hill near the Children's Institute; Summerset (mentioned above); the area of Shadyside around Winchester-Thurston; and Murdoch Farms in Squirrel Hill.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
I think Hopes is right in general. If you have small kids, there are also mommy-met-up groups that were big a few years ago. If you have bigger kids (kindergarten or older), signing up for soccer is a good way to meet a bunch out people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh