Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Businesses in Cheswick that are failing, are only doing so because of stupid yinzer owners who are cheap. That town is a moron-infested dump, and it's literally crumbling like some third-world hell hole. Most of the business owners there are too cheap to bother fixing the car-swallowing potholes in their parking lots.

If the Mills is truly ruining small business in Cheswick, please explain the brand new family owned True Value hardware store that just went up there a couple of years ago. See, it isn't the Mills that is blighting Cheswick....It's Cheswick.
So your argument is that Cheswick is failing because there are an especially high number of stupid people there. Is that an accurate restatement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Proof, please.
Go fill out an application at one and get back to me. I've had to sic my attorney friends on small businesses that I've worked for to ensure that they didn't just merely pay me less than the hours that I've worked, but you almost never see that with larger places that are more accountable. The small business tends to be a dictatorship, with the owner exploiting everything he/she can. Can't tell you how many places I've worked where the owner tried to get in the pants of the employees. Small businesses typically will have less than the minimal number of employees to adhere to labor laws, and thus get by with a lot worse than you'll find at a larger business that employs more people. We all want the small business to be this cute little mom and pop place that we can support who treats their employees well and fulfills our ideal model of what a sustainable local economy should be. The true antithesis to the homogenous service and corporate greed of chain stores, but unfortunately they are the greater of two evils when it comes to working for them.

Show me a place that sacrifices on stockpiling wealth for the owner to ensure that the workers are paid a decent wage, and I will support them like a zealot. Unfortunately I haven't found too many places like that so I will continue to shop where its most convenient to me in terms of price and access. If you don't see the owners there running the operation every day you are looking at an example of what I'm talking about.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,103 times
I support a Cabella's moving to the Pittsburgh Mills. I hate driving to WV for it. Purchasing a weapon from them would also be much easier since I wouldn't have to go through all the interstate transfer things.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
I'm sort of surprised that The Pittsburgh Mills still exists. I used to go to the movies there when it had the only Imax around and there was never anyone in the mall. It always seemed like a pretty sad lonely place.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm sort of surprised that The Pittsburgh Mills still exists. I used to go to the movies there when it had the only Imax around and there was never anyone in the mall. It always seemed like a pretty sad lonely place.
If you think the mills is a sad lonely place, I suggest visiting Century III mall. About 1/5 of the mall is boarded up, much of the parking lot is closed up, it is depressing thinking of what it could have been. Mills mall still has some life to it

Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I support a Cabella's moving to the Pittsburgh Mills. I hate driving to WV for it. Purchasing a weapon from them would also be much easier since I wouldn't have to go through all the interstate transfer things.
This would be awesome. I always see Cabella's deals online but can purchase anything because the nearest one is in West Virginia and the hassle wouldn't be worth it.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
This would be awesome. I always see Cabella's deals online but can purchase anything because the nearest one is in West Virginia and the hassle wouldn't be worth it.
I've never been to Wheeling, but isn't it only supposedly a 35-minute drive from the South Hills? That would be a comparable drive for you to get from Carrick to Frazer Twp., where Pittsburgh Mills is, I'd assume.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've never been to Wheeling, but isn't it only supposedly a 35-minute drive from the South Hills? That would be a comparable drive for you to get from Carrick to Frazer Twp., where Pittsburgh Mills is, I'd assume.
Driving to Wheeling is a bit over an hour (Cabela's is right outside of Wheeling) where as a drive to the Mills is around half an hour before 28 was a mess anyway. The thing is, doing any sort of out of state firearms transfers is a huge pain in the ass and often times not worth the hassle.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wheeling would be about a half hour from Washington PA, during ideal traffic. There are a lot of cops along the border thus causing the yinzers to slam their breaks and go 50 in a 70 zone for a good portion of the drive thus making it longer most of the time. From Carrick I would say that the trip is easily an hour to the Cabellas store plus or minus fifteen minutes. To the mills I can see the trip being done in 20-30 minutes if you leave at the right time of the day

Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
If you think the mills is a sad lonely place, I suggest visiting Century III mall. About 1/5 of the mall is boarded up, much of the parking lot is closed up, it is depressing thinking of what it could have been. Mills mall still has some life to it
As a rule, I try to stay out of any malls and there's not much that would get me to drive on Rt. 51.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh