Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times

Advertisements

If you are kind to people, most will return the favor, if you go around calling people bigots and thinking in negative vibes..then your be frown upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM

21 posts, read 45,660 times
I knew this would be a touchy subject.

Listen, I grew up in the south. Guylocke is correct, unfortunatley. Here in the south racism and general bigotry still exisits because of centuries of these ideas being bred into the natives. I myself grew up in a home where all blacks were considered lesser beings. I do not believe this but only because I have a more tao way of thinking.

The reason I asked this question is because of personal taste, style, and religion more than race. Here in the south people are GENERALLY ( not bashing everyone) very judgemental towards those that don't fall into the mainstream. We are quite an eclectic family in style and thinking. How will we fit in there?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
The reason I asked this question is because of personal taste, style, and religion more than race. Here in the south people are GENERALLY ( not bashing everyone) very judgemental towards those that don't fall into the mainstream. We are quite an eclectic family in style and thinking. How will we fit in there?
You will fit in perfectly! Pittsburgh has MANY religions and places of worship of all shapes and sizes. That will be a non-issue! If you are sort of eclectic in your style, you may get the occasional stare like "woah!" but Pittsburgh also has plenty of different folks, too!

Forgive me if I generalize, but there are quite a few places in town that are really cool that are sort for the "socially unaccepted" which would sort of be, again, forgive me, your "goths" "punks" "artists" "poets" "queens" etc. They aren't segregated, don't misinterpret, in fact, in the trendy and young parts of town, they would just blend it. However, they definitely have some places to call home if they chose.

The gay community is also represented in many parts of town and is fairly affluent.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:37 AM

That's great! Thank you so much! I can't wait to get there next month and look around! Now that I'm a Mom I have really toned down my look, but I guess you would say I stand out. I have such diversified taste that you could kinda say my style is "Goth-hippie-punk". Depends on my mood. Also, we're big into art, books, poetry, music, theater; all forms of art! As far as religion goes, I'm not really looking for a place of worship. Altough it would be cool if there were any monestaries nearby to visit.

What cool places are you talking about? Are they all bars?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 AM

322 posts, read 299,775 times
Pittsburgh has every type of person. The artist types, the blue collar types, the white collar types etc. One thing I notice in Pittsburgh is that people tend not to care about others that they may not even agree with unless it is rubbed in their face.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Pittsburgh has every type of person. The artist types, the blue collar types, the white collar types etc. One thing I notice in Pittsburgh is that people tend not to care about others that they may not even agree with unless it is rubbed in their face.

What does that mean "Rubbed in their Face" ? If by being who you are and not afraid to express that is rubbing it in someones face, then I guess we all should do that more often!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
What cool places are you talking about? Are they all bars?
There is a coffee house in the southside called the Beehive. It's wonderful. There are also several places in Friendship. Quiet Storm would be a good place to go. I will make some phone calls to get some specific names of possible bars and other places.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM

322 posts, read 299,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
There is a coffee house in the southside called the Beehive. It's wonderful. There are also several places in Friendship. Quiet Storm would be a good place to go. I will make some phone calls to get some specific names of possible bars and other places.
The Quiet Storm is a cool place. One of the coolest coffee shops I've been too out of the different cities I've lived in.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
The difference between the North and the South has been in the South bigotry has been "in your face"...In the North in alot of cases its hidden..and diplomatic..as in
smiling in your face and hating your guts...

I would say Pittsburgh is very friendly city..they are diplomatic and will treat you very nice even if they don't like you...someone admitted this to me,they were raised to ALWAYS be nice and polite to a person regardless of how you feel,that way they don't know where your are coming from...

The South is just more open with their bigotry...Pittsburgh has its share of bigots I'm sure but they are civil to everybody...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
if you look for trouble, you find it...it is as simple as that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: