Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
A couple things about the Civil War, some of which has been mentioned by others:

1. Virginia with Pittsburgh in it would have had a significantly larger pro-union population at the outset of the civil war. Virginia didn't even secede until after Fort Sumter and there is a chance it might not have seceded if there was a much larger population in the west. Without looking at figures, though, I'm sure the eastern population would have been much larger even if southwestern PA was included in the state.

2. Even if Virginia still did secede, the likelihood of Pittsburgh being lost to the union cause would have been infinitesimal. West Virginia as we know it now was never effectively under Confederate control, so a West Virginia with Pittsburgh included wouldn't have been any different and possibly even more thoroughly wedded to the union. It's likely there would have been a Pittsburgh Convention instead of a Wheeling Convention and the capital may have been eventually moved to Morgantown or something, but I don't think the experience for Pittsburgh would have been all that different otherwise.
This is the point I was trying to make when i said there would be political ramifications to Pittsburgh being in the state. I was talking about Virginia, not West Virginia. The decision to secede would have been much more contentious with Pittsburgh a part of the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
That's interesting...I figured that Pittsburgh and present day WV would still be part of the Union effort, but didn't consider that Pittsburgh might politically counterbalance Richmond on the matter of secession altogether.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
This is the point I was trying to make when i said there would be political ramifications to Pittsburgh being in the state. I was talking about Virginia, not West Virginia. The decision to secede would have been much more contentious with Pittsburgh a part of the mix.
I agree. Also, as went Virginia, so did Robert E. Lee. The Civil War might not have lasted so long has Lee not been at the head of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Though Virginia may also have tried to stay neutral the same way Kentucky did in reality (until the CSA took Columbus).

I'm curious, so I'm going to look up population figures in Virginia and SW Pennsylvania in 1860 to see how things might have swung.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
This post is interesting as an intellectual exercise, but really, how do we know what "would" have happened? And what's all this talk about West Virginia? It wasn't even a state until 1863, halfway through the Civil War. Possibly western VA wouldn't have seceded if the lower counties of PA had been a part of it. WHO KNOWS???

Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
If Pittsburgh was part of West Virginia, then everybody in rural West Virginia would hate it and say it'd be better off with Pennsylvania.

By the way, if you think Pittsburghers are insensitive for automatically equating West Virginia with incest, then be grateful you don't live in Cleveland. Some *******s there automatically equate Pittsburgh with incest, so somebody from West Virginia would probably be slandered even more there.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
There may have been no Republican party (or more likely just formed somewhere else)

Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Allegheny City would be Pennsylvania's version of East St Louis. Or Camden.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
For those who are interested, here we go.

1860 Populations:
East Virginia
747,136 free, 472,494 slave

West Virginia
358,317 free, 18,371 slave

Woulda-coulda Virginia

So who knows? Maybe with the extra population coming from the Pittsburgh area, it would have been enough to prevent secession, even if the free population didn't quite equal east Virginia's.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This post is interesting as an intellectual exercise, but really, how do we know what "would" have happened? And what's all this talk about West Virginia? It wasn't even a state until 1863, halfway through the Civil War. Possibly western VA wouldn't have seceded if the lower counties of PA had been a part of it. WHO KNOWS???
I think it was tacitly acknowledged that WV was borne out of the civil war by a couple posters who referenced Virginia's secession and how Pittsburgh, if it was in Virginia, may have influenced that event, and the consequences for Robert E. Lee, etc. I think someone may have even explicitly stated it formed following the war.

Seems like the consensus is that WV would be more changed if Pittsburgh was part of it (because it would have provided a large urbanized industrial base that was lacking elsewhere in the state, thus generating more wealth) than Pittsburgh would be changed...at least that's my opinion.

Until the modern technology and finance oriented economy developed, and when manufacturing was a primary economic engine, WV was at a distinct advantage because of its terrain and historically sparse population. That's obviously changed now that economic activity is more dependent on knowledge, which is easy to distribute through education, than on activities that didn't have a natural fit in WV because of its geography. Geography is destiny, which was even more true in the past.

Also, Allegheny City would be a preservationist's utopia.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Allegheny City would be Pennsylvania's version of East St Louis. Or Camden.
Not even close. You are underestimating the effect that Philly influences had on Pittsburgh. Everything that flowed here via Philly, would have gone to Allegheny instead. Even without all of that, Allegheny was a substantially bigger, and more important city than either Camden, or E. St. Louis. No way would it have become what those two places are. The Pennsylvania Railroad would have been routed differently as well. Instead of coming through the East Liberty Valley, it likely would have been routed to run along the north bank of the Allegheny. Allegheny would have been very densely built up, as the lay of the land resembles Cincy's basin, which was the most densely populated place in the US outside of Manhattan in the 1870's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh