Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,731 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in Bellevue and am thinking about going carfree, and doing a combo of walk/bus/bike/carshare for my transportation needs.

I'm just getting back into biking after a long hiatus, and I've never biked seriously in or around Pittsburgh. I'm wondering if there are any experienced cyclists on the board from the West End who could advise me on the best route I could take to get from Bellevue to the North Side, for starters. The thought of riding alone Ohio River Blvd. is still alarming to me at this point, and I'd like to find a good combination of side streets and/or trails to get there, if possible.

Also, are there any groups in Pittsburgh who are specifically friendly towards newbie cyclists and who might be willing to mentor someone like me for a bit?

Thanks!

Last edited by cardinality; 04-05-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,179,365 times
I have a coworker who rides the same route - Bellevue to the Steel Building. I'll have to ask him his exact route, but I don't think it involves Ohio River Blvd at all. He may take California all the way to Marshall and then wind his way down to the river trail from there (that's how I'd do it). If you post on Bikepgh you will get a lot of help on routes.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,216,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinality View Post
Hi all,

I live in Bellevue and am thinking about going carfree, and doing a combo of walk/bus/bike/carshare for my transportation needs.

I'm just getting back into biking after a long hiatus, and I've never biked seriously in or around Pittsburgh. I'm wondering if there are any experienced cyclists on the board from the West End who could advise me on the best route I could take to get from Bellevue to the North Side, for starters. The thought of riding alone Ohio River Blvd. is still alarming to me at this point, and I'd like to find a good combination of side streets and/or trails to get there, if possible.

Also, are there any groups in Pittsburgh who are specifically friendly towards newbie cyclists and who might be willing to mentor someone like me for a bit?

Thanks!

If I were riding a bicycle from Bellevue to town, I'd take it down McClure past St. John's and down to Western Pen, follow Beaver Ave in.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM

461 posts, read 745,987 times
I'd avoid ORB; most people seem to think that since it is Rt 65, that means that the speed limit is 65, not 40 as it is signed. The trail is really nice, and you could get on it from Woods Run Ave.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM

6,600 posts, read 8,930,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I'd avoid ORB; most people seem to think that since it is Rt 65, that means that the speed limit is 65, not 40 as it is signed. The trail is really nice, and you could get on it from Woods Run Ave.
Honetly, ORB should be at least 55 if not 65. From the McKees Rocks bridge on it's a highway with no lights, intersections, or pedestrian crossings. It must have been someone's cruel idea of a joke that there is a sidewalk that ends abruptly and without warning as 65 crosses over Eckert.

I agree that getting to the North Shore Trail along the Ohio is probably the best route, especially for a newbie. Alternatively, you could take Lincoln to California and a side street over to Brighton Road which has "Sharrows" and bike lanes all the way to Allegheny Commons; that route is more direct, but less attractive as a new cyclist in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,568,395 times
Try bike-pgh.org

Lots of helpful folks there and on their message board.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,730,313 times
I think it depends on where he is going in North Side. We ride the trail from Millvale to the end past the Penitentiary. Sometimes I don't feel like looping back around so we'll ride through Manchester and Allegheny Commons Park to get back over towards Heinz for a change of scenery. I guess my point is getting from Bellevue to North Side is the main battle. Once you're in North Side, you really don't need to be on the trail if cutting across makes more sense for your destination.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM

733 posts, read 983,436 times
Hey, Cardinality, I'm a cyclist commuter who lives in an undisclosed location on the Northside, haha.

I'm not sure where your starting point will be, but from Bellvue, I'd probably try to find a way to get to Lincoln, rather than Ohio River Blvd. Lincoln goes into Brighton Heights and meets Brighton Rd. A decent portion of Brighton was tagged with "sharrows" last year and a few segments of bike lanes were also added. It has made a noticeable difference in terms of cars not being dangerous jerks as frequently, for me, at least.

In the summer, I like going off of Brighton at Woods Run Ave to take the jail trail in from time to time. There's a walkway alongside the Ft Duquesne Bridge that is accessible from the trail, and it leads you right into the Point. That route is a bit longer, but much more relaxed if you fear cars.

Anyways, I don't do any group stuff, but if you want someone to ride around with to re-acclimate yourself to city riding or help plan your commuting route, I'd gladly go on an excursion or two with you. I remember when I started riding a bike on the road: I never, ever would have done it, if I didn't have somebody else who was comfortable showing me the ropes. I don't bat an eye these days, but I remember being intimidated by the prospect when first starting.

Last edited by CaptainPittsburgh; 04-08-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,079,843 times
Take Lincoln across bridge, that turns into California. At light bear left onto Benton, take that to McClure and turn right. Take McClure all the way down to Young Bros bar, take right and follow that to Beaver Ave. That's the prison in front of you, you can access the river trail to the left or right of the prison. That's the safest route, the quicker one would be taking Benton to Brighton, turn right and take Brighton all the way in. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,079,843 times
I have done the West End bridge, I don't recommend using (I've done it though, have to do it quickly) the roadway, not much shoulder and cars are traveling high rates of speed. The big intersection on the W. Carson side is tricky, I've just stayed far right like I was going up Steuben and then crossed onto the new ramp that runs next to Artifacts. I'm not aware of a trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh