Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 PM

654 posts, read 944,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
It's all based on comps. Your agent will get info on comparable sales in the area so you have some idea if the house is priced correctly. If it's overpriced you can negotiate the price down and hope that the seller is ready to deal with the fact that their home is overpriced.
I hope I get a seller who's willing to face reality, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I hope I get a seller who's willing to face reality, then.
Typically homes are priced a little higher than the seller actually wants because they know that people will offer less. So someone who wants $100k for their home may price it at $110k to allow for negotiation. Your realtor will pull comps at help you determine if the asking price is spot on, too high, too low...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Typically homes are priced a little higher than the seller actually wants because they know that people will offer less. So someone who wants $100k for their home may price it at $110k to allow for negotiation. Your realtor will pull comps at help you determine if the asking price is spot on, too high, too low...
I got in contact with John yesterday. He seems very professional and quite personable. (I told him you referred me.) Thank you very much for the reference, Julie. I hope he's successful in finding me a house and in negotiating the price down for me. By the way, if I may ask, did he find you your house before it was listed online? If so, perhaps he can do the same for me. A lot of the properties online, I'm afraid to say, either aren't in my price range, have been listen forever, or just aren't attractive to me.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
I got in contact with John yesterday. He seems very professional and quite personable. (I told him you referred me.) Thank you very much for the reference, Julie. I hope he's successful in finding me a house and in negotiating the price down for me. By the way, if I may ask, did he find you your house before it was listed online? If so, perhaps he can do the same for me. A lot of the properties online, I'm afraid to say, either aren't in my price range, have been listen forever, or just aren't attractive to me.
I found my house online and he was the realtor who answered the phone when I called. To my SF eyes it seemed like an incredible bargain. If John had been unscrupulous, he could have sold it to me and it would have been a long time before I realized that it was overpriced for the area. I planned a trip to see that house as well as look at others in neighborhoods I was considering. During the time before I made the trip the owners lowered the price slightly. I looked at about 20 houses and narrowed it down to five, including the one I saw online. I spent a few hours with John weighing the pros and cons of each place and eventually decided on the one I saw online. The original price of the house was about $25k over what it should sell for based on the comps we pulled. After not too much negotiation, while I was back in SF, I got the house for what I feel was a fair price.

I think you know this, but every house has its pluses and minuses. I was ready to buy and chose the house with the best mix of features, location, and price that was on the market at the time. I would have preferred a location with more retail within walking distance. And the front door of my home is awkwardly placed. It can't be moved without destroying the facade and changing the historic character. But the house had new dual pane windows on every floor except the attic, new electrical, newish HVAC and roof, new sewage stack, and tons of historic details. I have friendly neighbors and everyone here seems to love these old houses as much as I do. Crafton is just a few miles from the Pittsburgh city limit to the east and about 15 minutes or so from the malls to the west. Also super easy to get to the airport. I haven't had buyer's remorse. Overall, I'm super happy with my decision.

In your price range I think the biggest obstacle will be finding something in a safe walkable neighborhood that isn't a complete gut job. I still think you should talk to a financial planner about the pros and cons of carrying a small mortgage. The tax write-off, low interest rates, and the ability to have more choices in homes might be worth it. Depending on your tax bracket, the write off might leave you with same of amount money to invest that paying cash for a less expensive home would. I would at least get the info. I'm guessing you'd still decide that you aren't comfortable with having a mortgage, but at least you'll know what you'd face if you did get one. I'm a big believer in doing a lot of research into all possibilities so you can make an informed decision.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM

606 posts, read 943,982 times
Quote:
A lot of the properties online, I'm afraid to say, either aren't in my price range, have been listen forever, or just aren't attractive to me.
Just going at it backwards, if you'd come here and posted "I'm looking to find a brick house in a reasonably walkable and not unsafe urban neighborhood. I'd prefer a Victorian but would accept a house from around that era that still has some historic details. Outdated, needing cosmetic work, or minor repairs is fine, but I need something that doesn't have structural or other large-scale issues. What's the least I could pay to get that?," I don't think anyone would've thrown out a number in the ballpark of $60K.

Look what people will pay for a house that is exactly what you're looking for -- Victorian, brick, great walkable neighborhood -- in good condition:

400 N. Taylor St.
1222 Sherman Ave.
912 Cedar Ave.
929 Saint James St.
616 Saint James St.
701 Ivy St.

If that's what people will pay for a house like that in great condition, you'd be off your rocker to sell even a gut job with major issues for $60K, let alone one that only needs a few thousand in repairs or updating. I hope you do find what you're looking for, but it's going to be tough, I think. Hopefully you'll get lucky and find a really motivated seller!

Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Just going at it backwards, if you'd come here and posted "I'm looking to find a brick house in a reasonably walkable and not unsafe urban neighborhood. I'd prefer a Victorian but would accept a house from around that era that still has some historic details. Outdated, needing cosmetic work, or minor repairs is fine, but I need something that doesn't have structural or other large-scale issues. What's the least I could pay to get that?," I don't think anyone would've thrown out a number in the ballpark of $60K.

Look what people will pay for a house that is exactly what you're looking for -- Victorian, brick, great walkable neighborhood -- in good condition:

400 N. Taylor St.
1222 Sherman Ave.
912 Cedar Ave.
929 Saint James St.
616 Saint James St.
701 Ivy St.

If that's what people will pay for a house like that in great condition, you'd be off your rocker to sell even a gut job with major issues for $60K, let alone one that only needs a few thousand in repairs or updating. I hope you do find what you're looking for, but it's going to be tough, I think. Hopefully you'll get lucky and find a really motivated seller!
Those properties you linked to are incredibly elegant Victorians originally build for the well-to-do. I'm merely looking for a modest brick home from that time period--nothing like that. I could never afford to heat anything that large! Hell, I don't have enough furniture or stuff to fill it! lol

Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Those properties you linked to are incredibly elegant Victorians originally build for the well-to-do. I'm merely looking for a modest brick home from that time period--nothing like that. I could never afford to heat anything that large! Hell, I don't have enough furniture or stuff to fill it! lol
Well, other than the 848 Blossom Way home I linked to upthread you'll have few options here for a livable brick home under $60,000. Pittsburgh is cheap, but we're not THAT cheap anymore. I truly loved this home, too, but it has already gone under contract:

324 Knox Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15210 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, other than the 848 Blossom Way home I linked to upthread you'll have few options here for a livable brick home under $60,000. Pittsburgh is cheap, but we're not THAT cheap anymore. I truly loved this home, too, but it has already gone under contract:

324 Knox Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15210 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Allentown (or is that Knoxville?) and East Deutschtown might net him a modest brick home, but they sacrifice a lot of his other requirements. They are unlikely to appreciate in value, will have some crime/seediness issues (probably not major, though), and aren't particularly conducive to a car-free lifestyle. I trutfhfully can't think of anywhere in the city besides Beechview and Brighton Heights where you could *maybe* live car-free on his budget and not be living in a declining area. Maybe Troy Hill as well, if you can get over the lack of a grocery store.

HipPriest, do you have a job lined up? I wonder if some old steel town would be a better fit for you? Maybe not even in Allegheny County.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
What about Garfield. Realistically, you are so close to Shadyside, East Liberty and the busway it is very walkable. The place is a definitely seen better days but it has to be on the way up.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Hip Priest - What do you think about renting an apartment for a year, and waiting until you've actually lived here before you look for a house? Places which may sound nice from a distance can be in extremely hilly parts of town, and if you're not here to walk up the hill they're on when you're checking places out, you may find yourself hating the place you bought hastily because you were in such a rush.

I bring this up because you plan to walk or take the bus wherever you go. I lived on the hill that is Lawrenceville, and I absolutely hated it for that reason. I am older, so it may not be a problem for you, but I thought I should let you know how hilly it is before you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh