Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Hiring an agent is a great idea. You asked to know more about Brighton Heights, I posted a little earlier, but I'll give a little more detail. There is a small business district on California Avenue, between Davis and Brighton Heights Blvd, however that strip is only home to maybe half of the businesses in the neighborhood; the rest are spread throughout. The California Ave business district just got updated with a bunch of new "designer" street lights. I know that's not a huge deal, but it means that the city sees it as an area worth investing in. Brighton Heights' businesses are serviceable as a walkable neighborhood; they just aren't trendy for the most part. You won't be reading about them in the latest issue of Pittsburgh Magazine or anything. Depending where you are in the neighborhood, you can get to all of the following in under 15 mins on foot, probably quicker in most cases.

Bus stops for 3 different lines (13, 16, & 17, useful for getting to Downtown, Bellevue, or other parts of the North Side)
Java N' Creme Coffee shop (which is awesome)
A few different pizza or gyro shops
Tom Friday's butcher shop (which is awesome)
Grocery store
Wine & Spirits (PA's state-owned & operated liquor store chain)
Beer Distributor
Rite Aid
Barber
Convenience Store
Laundromat/Diner (yes, combined)
Bank
Library (technically in Brightwood)
A handful of bars
Miller's Seafood House (the neighborhood's only "real" restaurant. It's nothing special)
And a few other odds and ends, like lawyers, tax preparers, flower shop, daycares, insurance agents.

As others have mentioned, another pro is that the real estate market is stable, and even slightly appreciating. I don't want to drone on too long about the neighborhood. To sum it up, it's a safe neighborhood, with an okay number of businesses, in a fairly convenient location, where you can still get a decent home in your price range.

Here's one that I really like that has a lot of nice details on the inside even though it isn't brick. Even has a tin ceiling in the kitchen it says. 3512 Massachusetts Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia

If you are OK with a condo, you could get something really nice and centrally located like this: 3605 California Avenue, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia
The fireplace mantles and built-in cabinetry of that house you linked to are stunning! It's almost as if someone took them out of a much nicer, grander home and installed them into that place. It would be so much nicer if that residence were brick! The siding is kind of unattractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Here's a thread we had a while ago with some good discussion on Brighton Heights if you want some more info: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...s-insight.html

I also second what other people were saying about considering places outside the city. Places like Dormont, Millvale, & Sharpsburg, in particular.
Are there affordable (within my budget of less than $60K) historic brick homes to be found in places like Millvale, Etna, and Sharpsburg?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Are there affordable (within my budget of less than $60K) historic brick homes to be found in places like Millvale, Etna, and Sharpsburg?
Most of the houses were built in the early 1900s. I'd say they are 1/4 brick. Most of the Victorians are frame. Each neighborhood does have some strings of brick row houses. There are the occasional detached brick homes too. These areas are out of your budget (about 80k to 90k), especially the bricks, but deals do go on the market sometimes.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 AM

This the only brick in Millvale right now. It's 84k.

Millvale Real Estate - 27 Howard, Millvale, PA, 15209

This one is a deal. Etna. 63k

Etna Real Estate - 32 Hickory Street, Etna, PA, 15223

Etna 84k

Etna Real Estate - 88 Hickory, Etna, PA, 15223

There is one other brick in Etna but it's in the flood area so I won't post it.

This is the only one in Sharpsburg. It's 79k

Sharpsburg Real Estate - 309 Linden Ave, Sharpsburg, PA, 15215

Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 AM

Check out Spring Hill.

This one is 56k. It's not brick but it's cute inside. Stately character inside for a little bungalow on the outside.

Spring Hill Real Estate - 2147 Harbor, Spring Hill, PA, 15212

This brick one is out of budget but it's really pretty.

Spring Hill Real Estate - 2136 ROCKLEDGE, Spring Hill, PA, 15212

They might be too close to the projects. Uptown Kid would have to advise if you're interested in them.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
32 Hickory in Etna and 2136 Rockledge in Spring Hill are both already under contract. The real estate market around here is sizzlin'!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
I know you want to pay cash and live mortgage free, but if you fall in love with a place that's $80k, remember that your mortgage amount would be next to nothing given how much you'd be putting down, and you could pay it off in no time.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
32 Hickory in Etna and 2136 Rockledge in Spring Hill are both already under contract. The real estate market around here is sizzlin'!
Exactly why you need an agent. They often know about stuff before it comes on the market. And they know which properties are overpriced and have been sitting for a while. This was the case with my home. There hadn't been any offers. They lowered the price once before I made my offer. My offer was significantly lower than what they were asking, but not insulting. We negotiated and I got the house. Had the house not been sitting for months, they probably would have rejected my offer in hopes they'd get closer to their asking price.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I know you want to pay cash and live mortgage free, but if you fall in love with a place that's $80k, remember that your mortgage amount would be next to nothing given how much you'd be putting down, and you could pay it off in no time.
That's what I would say too. There's very little risk in a small mortgage for 10 years say (and pay faster if you want). I wouldn't put it all down even. Interest rate is under 3%. Get some while you can!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Exactly why you need an agent. They often know about stuff before it comes on the market. And they know which properties are overpriced and have been sitting for a while. This was the case with my home. There hadn't been any offers. They lowered the price once before I made my offer. My offer was significantly lower than what they were asking, but not insulting. We negotiated and I got the house. Had the house not been sitting for months, they probably would have rejected my offer in hopes they'd get closer to their asking price.
I just called the agent you referred me to; hopefully, he'll call me back. Buyers' agents, I would think, would know all about negotiation strategies, something I know very little about. I mean, I know how to bargain, and I'm a damn good bargainer (it's the eastern European in me), but I have no experience bargaining on a house. lol

I know the economy is decent is Pittsburgh, but it isn't that great. So why is the real estate market so hot? Yes, Pittsburgh is cool, but it's not Manhattan. (I mean no offense to anyone with the comparison, so please don't take any.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh