Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM

29 posts, read 84,461 times

Advertisements

I was looking for the same thing exactly a year ago. After experiencing Pittsburgh for a year, eschaton is right. Such a neighborhood does not exist AT ALL in Pittsburgh...but I love this city! Shadyside / Squirrel Hill is your best bet. Go to the nicer parts of that neighborhood and you'll love it: Murdoch farms(north of forbes) and west shadyside(west of south aiken). Really nice condo doesnt exist, but the nearest thing you would find in downtown. But downtown does not offer what shadyside/squirrel hill does...stretch out to Point breeze. this is a great area as well. best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Summerset at Frick - in Squirrel Hill.

Prepare to pay.
I second this.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 16,362 times
thanks to everyone for the advice

Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Considering their desire for a litter-free low-crime new place, maybe one of the closer walkable suburbs like Sewickley or Mt Lebanon has some new construction apartment buildings nearby.
A pair of my friends are looking at something like this -- an attached townhome, looks like '80s construction ("new" to me) -- in Mt. Lebanon. It's right next to the main drag with all the restaurants. It'll be nice.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansocks View Post
Hello,

I am wondering if you all can help us find our ideal neighborhood. We are looking for somewhere in or very near the actual city. Our ideal would be a newer looking area that is well kept (ie sidewalks not crumbling, very little litter, well maintained streets, not too many ugly empty lots or chain link fences). We would love to have a selection of nice high end restaurants nearby and parks nearby for dog walking as well. We do not care about schools nor neighborhood cumbaya-ness. We've seen shadyside which is nice but the houses look very old. Squirrel hill feels inundated with undergraduates and the restaurants seem to cater to that demographic. Southside flats is way too busy with a million bars which we dont like. Maybe highland park? But that again feels very old although I ate at a really good restaurant there. We dont like the look of the super old homes that many love so much in pittsburgh. We would probably like living in a really nice condo / apartment. It would be nice if the neighborhood was safe including at night. Downtown seems unsafe at night?

To give you all an idea - we love downtown Portland Oregon (which is very similar to what I'm describing) Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!
I am still puzzling over Squirrel Hill being described as 'inundated with undergraduates'.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I am still puzzling over Squirrel Hill being described as 'inundated with undergraduates'.
Maybe they just went to the portion near the CMU campus, and didn't get to the Forbes/Murray business district?

There are not a lot of college students who hang out in Squirrel Hill, but depending upon how old they are, they might have confused the high-school students who hang out there (as it is a big family neighborhood) for college kids.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There are not a lot of college students who hang out in Squirrel Hill.
There aren't? I lived there for 10 years. It's plenty student-y upstreet.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There aren't? I lived there for 10 years. It's plenty student-y upstreet.
There's a fair amount, but I would hardly call it student-dominated the way that Oakland, Shadyside, Friendship, and even Bloomfield and South Side are these days. I'd never describe it as inundated. I can't think of a single bar that caters to students for example. I guess young people hang out at the Squirrel Cage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh