Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

A friend and I went out for lunch today and I paid $2 for 2 hours of parking on his car on a debit card. We were done in an hour and a quarter, but when we got back to the car, we had a $20 parking ticket.

When we were entering the license plate number, and sliding the card in, and pushing all the green buttons, the machine wouldn't let the transaction go far enough to give us the paper receipt. It just stopped doing anything, no matter how many times we pushed the green button.

I got an email for the transaction from my card, but the PPA won't discharge the matter or the fine because we don't have the receipt. Catch 22. The machine wouldn't print out a receipt.

Any solutions, suggestions? Anyone friends with Dave Onorato? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
Short of recording yourself attempting to pay and not being given the opportunity to get a receipt, I'm not sure how you could validate that the machine wasn't operative. It's also the only way to validate that the license plate was entered correctly.

I've had this happen to me with a machine on Craig St. I will have to be more wary of it happening.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
This exact same thing happened to me today. On two different meters (I only got a ticket on one). I'm absolutely contesting it -- this must have been some sort of system-wide problem.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I was at a meter today just around the corner from Lulu's Noodles along South Craig Street, and the quarter slot was jammed so you couldn't insert any quarters into it. I was going to be in and out of a restaurant in five minutes and refused to yank out my debit card since the minimum charge for cards is $1.00. While I think it's much more aesthetically-pleasing to have so many fewer meters (not to mention much more efficient for parking enforcement officials) I'm a little concerned that during the course of my delivery shifts I tend to find at least ONE multi-space meter per DAY that is somehow malfunctioning.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Solution and suggestion: pay it. Fortunately its a pretty small amount, which is probably intentional so people like you who are getting screwed will just suck it up and pay it rather than riot in the streets.

It stinks that the government can't do something as simple as consistently enforce parking properly, but it obviously can't. It also stinks that although you have reasonable proof (your debit card statement) that you paid for parking, they will demand a receipt that wouldn't print and even if the meter is working properly is clearly listed as an optional step (not you might want to print this in case we screw up parking enforcement which we've been known to do), but there isn't much you can do about it.

Sorry.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
What's even cooler is that you have no control over how your parking information is shared with a third party. Insurance companies are already making a play to use your information (where you parked your car at what time) without your consent. This information can be used for insurance fraud purposes or to deny your claims. Progress!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Is there an official Facebook page for the city? If there is, post you situation on there. When I have run into a bureaucratic wall I've found that I get a much swifter response by public shaming. I got a repairperson to look at our Brother printer at work for free instead of the $200 they wanted to charge us. I got 6000 air miles from American Airlines after a horrendous experience. I had wanted a free flight, but at least I got more than nothing which was all they were prepared to give initially.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Solution and suggestion: pay it.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Is there an official Facebook page for the city? If there is, post you situation on there. When I have run into a bureaucratic wall I've found that I get a much swifter response by public shaming.
Thanks, Julie. I'm not on Facebook, but I sent these links to my friend who got the ticket, and who is on Facebook.
I tried to give you points, but it's too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
This exact same thing happened to me today. On two different meters (I only got a ticket on one). I'm absolutely contesting it -- this must have been some sort of system-wide problem.
Yes, we're going to contest it, too. It just pisses me off so much.

Are you on FB, steindle? Maybe you could post on the "pay ticket" link above.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Yes, we're going to contest it, too. It just pisses me off so much.
Jay needs a hug!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Jay needs a hug!
Yes. I do. It's so aggravating.

And I have a whole new sympathy for someone who drives for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh