Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I foresee a lot more telecommuting in the future, particularly for office jobs, as well as teaching jobs, even medical jobs.

Modern telecommunication will be able to keep a lot of people off of the road . Even retail jobs are moving online nowadays.

I don't see traffic congestion as a problem that can't be solved without a massive push of people into the inner cities.
Well, Yahoo kind of put a slowdown on that! I was on a number of forums that discussed telecommuting in light of Yahoo's decision; most were in favor of getting more people into the office for face time. I think it unlikely that our economy will ever go for telecommuting in a big way, say 50% or more jobs.

It's pretty damn hard to do health care remotely. Some things you just have to see and touch. I've told patients that many a time. This is especially true of these rashes that kids get all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times
As much as the urbanists hate it, and I am one, we pretty much killed the DVD shops and the CD shops and most of the bookshops in the city, so some of the charm of city life is already gone. Dreaming Ant is gone now. And there is no shortage of people who want to go to Applebees and Olive Garden and watch their movies in a state of the art cineplex and (as evidenced by the pleas on c-d) live in a shiny new house in a shiny new development with a shiny school district, probably more than want to go to museums and art galleries and live music shows. Maybe the answer is for some of these shiny new developments to have a central business district with office complexes that have showers and bike trails leading to them and some sane street design so the suburban folk can bike to work and school without getting killed. This can work if you do it right.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
we pretty much killed the DVD shops and the CD shops and most of the bookshops in the city, so some of the charm of city life is already gone. Dreaming Ant is gone now. And there is no shortage of people who want to go to Applebees and Olive Garden and watch their movies in a state of the art cineplex and (as evidenced by the pleas on c-d) live in a shiny new house in a shiny new development with a shiny school district, probably more than want to go to museums and art galleries and live music shows.
Local bookshops and such still exist, there are just fewer of them. Apparently Awesome Books was doing quite fine when it was sold, and venerable places like Calaban are still around. There are enough people who like urban living to keep the Manor (which is a very nice place to see a film post-renovation) and Regent Square theaters going. There is no shortage of people who like things new and homogenized, but I don't think that is a growing trend. Neither city lovers nor suburb lovers are disappearing anytime soon, so that tension will persist for some time, unfortunately.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
The Regent Square theater is located in suburban Edgewood. Just to be a jagoff n'at.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The Regent Square theater is located in suburban Edgewood. Just to be a jagoff n'at.
Isn't it primarily an "arts" theater? It's not directly competing with the major chain theaters.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Why don't those who enjoy suburban living move to suburbs such as Wilkinsburg, McKee's Rocks, or Clairton?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Why don't those who enjoy suburban living move to suburbs such as Wilkinsburg, McKee's Rocks, or Clairton?
Probably because they like some other area better, e.g. Cranberry or Wexford, or. . . .

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Isn't it primarily an "arts" theater? It's not directly competing with the major chain theaters.
It is, arts/foreign/classic, but I think the point is that if you like that kind of movie, you're not going to find it in exurbia. Which is fair enough as far as it goes.

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
As much as the urbanists hate it, and I am one, we pretty much killed the DVD shops and the CD shops and most of the bookshops in the city, so some of the charm of city life is already gone. Dreaming Ant is gone now. And there is no shortage of people who want to go to Applebees and Olive Garden and watch their movies in a state of the art cineplex and (as evidenced by the pleas on c-d) live in a shiny new house in a shiny new development with a shiny school district, probably more than want to go to museums and art galleries and live music shows. Maybe the answer is for some of these shiny new developments to have a central business district with office complexes that have showers and bike trails leading to them and some sane street design so the suburban folk can bike to work and school without getting killed. This can work if you do it right.
the charm of urban life was gone long before DVD's were invented. I think it's fairly easy to argue that in most places cities are becoming more attractive places to live, not less. in the post war era federal mortgage guidelines prevented whites from buying in the city by not guaranteeing their mortgages to do so. at the same time, they had bankrupted the railroads, and were building new highways where connected developers made fortunes buying farmland and building on it next to interchanges. this was all paid for with debt(federal). then there was public housing, urban renewal, the war on poverty and its educational gimmicks, race riots, highways slicing through neighborhoods. cities were demolished with taxpayer money, then the drug war, assets like parks left to rot. today cars are no longer a novelty, more people are okay with not lilving in their car. technology has allowed cities to become cleaner, crime has dropped, old highrise projects are being demolished, and the price of fuel has increased. also of note is that it is increasingly clear that trying to become suburbs cities destroyed themselves and that the way to sustainability is through being a good city, you'll never outsuburb the suburbs. the thing about cities is they get better as they grow. if the population of the average suburb doubled, the quality of life would go down. when the population of downtown doubles, the quality of life goes up (within reason but pittsburgh's downtown is nowhere near pushing that limit). moreover, a lot of things that made cities polluted are also gone.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Well, we know that mixed income housing tends to not work very well for various reasons, and is unlikely to ever work on a large scale. A major issue is school districts. If the region adopted a system like Pittsburgh's that enabled students to choose (or maybe even test for) several schools that would reduce how much a particular school district discourages people from moving into a certain area. Economies of scale should also benefit people in the form of overall lower local taxes.

I'm sure that general financial justifications can be shown for limiting sprawl and encouraging job creation close to population centers, but I doubt many people would experience a tremendous financial benefit from it. The initial appeal to me is more of a qualitative sense...not of seeing people live and benefit necessarily from continuous urban/suburban development and targeted investment, but to want to conserve and preserve the wilderness areas we have remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh