Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM

654 posts, read 944,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
This is not an easily walkable area. If you're going to walk to it, then you'll need to approach from the back via Dormont Ave because Banksville Road has no sidewalks or shoulder around the Kuhn's shopping center (or on any part of that road really). Walk the route yourself before you buy in the area to see if it's doable.
Thanks for the advice, Tirade. I'd rather not get flattened by a vehicle! I've looked on Google Street View, and walking to Kuhn's via Dormont appears doable; however, I'm not there to see it in person, and I've obviously never completed the walk, so I really can't judge. Actually, I'm not too keen on moving to Dormont, Beechview, or Brookline. I'd much rather move to the North Side, probably to Brighton Heights (or possibly Marshall-Shadeland, as several people have said that the neighborhood is improving, but I don't know). Brighton Heights has really nice architecture, it's more convenient, and it's less hilly. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in any of the more urban areas that's decent that I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As an aside, last week as the final part of the Banksville Road renovations crews were putting up new crosswalks/crosswalk signs. Where all these pedestrians are coming from I can only imagine. I guess people walk down the hills to catch buses at corners, but anyone walking along Banksville has a death wish in most spots.
I wonder if it is even legal to walk there. It's against the law to walk on McKnight Road, I have heard.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As an aside, last week as the final part of the Banksville Road renovations crews were putting up new crosswalks/crosswalk signs. Where all these pedestrians are coming from I can only imagine. I guess people walk down the hills to catch buses at corners, but anyone walking along Banksville has a death wish in most spots.
I don't know if it's the case for this particular situation, but often it's easier to secure funding if you make "complete streets" that are pedestrian or bike friendly. A lot of times this results in streets and intersections that are bike or ped friendly on paper, but not in reality.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Thanks for the advice, Tirade. I'd rather not get flattened by a vehicle! I've looked on Google Street View, and walking to Kuhn's via Dormont appears doable; however, I'm not there to see it in person, and I've obviously never completed the walk, so I really can't judge. Actually, I'm not too keen on moving to Dormont, Beechview, or Brookline. I'd much rather move to the North Side, probably to Brighton Heights (or possibly Marshall-Shadeland, as several people have said that the neighborhood is improving, but I don't know). Brighton Heights has really nice architecture, it's more convenient, and it's less hilly. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in any of the more urban areas that's decent that I can afford.
Somewhere else you mentioned that most of the properties you're looking at in Brighton Heights are about a mile from the Giant Eagle. You should see how far the Highwood Street Kuhn's is from those homes. It's in Marshall-Shadeland, but if you're looking in the southern part of Brighton Heights it's roughly equidistant to either grocery store.

Also consider how far you would be from the Rite Aid & Tom Friday's market. Tom Friday's is mostly a butcher shop, but they also sell some basic groceries, as does Rite Aid.

Last edited by ferraris; 04-22-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Somewhere else you mentioned that most of the properties you're looking at in Brighton Heights are about a mile from the Giant Eagle. You should see how far the Highwood Street Kuhn's is from those homes. It's in Marshall-Shadeland, but if you're looking in the southern part of Brighton Heights it's roughly equidistant to either grocery store.
I've checked already. It's a mile to about 1.5 miles. Currently there a few homes in Brighton Heights that I'm interested in. Hopefully, they won't sell within the next few days. Lately, I regret to say that homes are selling like hotcakes in Pittsburgh. What's worse, other homes aren't coming onto the market (at least not in my price range) to replace the ones that have sold. There appears to be an inventory problem. Honestly, I can't imagine why people are flocking to Pittsburgh. Yes, Pittsburgh is cool, cooler than most cities, even; I love the city. However, Pittsburgh isn't a first-class city; the only reason I thought people move to Pittsburgh is because they couldn't afford cities like New York or Boston (no offense, as I'm not trying to get an odious city comparison thread going).

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
I don't know if it's the case for this particular situation, but often it's easier to secure funding if you make "complete streets" that are pedestrian or bike friendly. A lot of times this results in streets and intersections that are bike or ped friendly on paper, but not in reality.
That probably explains intersections like this: Google Maps (51 and Woodruff) I don't even know how a pedestrian would get there to cross the street in the first place.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I've checked already. It's a mile to about 1.5 miles. Currently there a few homes in Brighton Heights that I'm interested in. Hopefully, they won't sell within the next few days. Lately, I regret to say that homes are selling like hotcakes in Pittsburgh. What's worse, other homes aren't coming onto the market (at least not in my price range) to replace the ones that have sold. There appears to be an inventory problem. Honestly, I can't imagine why people are flocking to Pittsburgh. Yes, Pittsburgh is cool, cooler than most cities, even; I love the city. However, Pittsburgh isn't a first-class city; the only reason I thought people move to Pittsburgh is because they couldn't afford cities like New York or Boston (no offense, as I'm not trying to get an odious city comparison thread going).
You could quintuple your budget and still not find places in NYC or Boston. Pittsburgh is still cheap, it's just not bargain basement cheap.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
You could quintuple your budget and still not find places in NYC or Boston. Pittsburgh is still cheap, it's just not bargain basement cheap.
That's true. Bargain basement cheap would be awful places like Detroit, Toledo, or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If I had unlimited funds, there's no question, I wouldn't be moving to Pittsburgh; I'd be going to NYC or Boston. However, I'm just a poor boy, so Pittsburgh will be my city.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,605 times
Quote:
Right, that's true - $60,000 for a basically move-in ready house in an urban neighborhood generally considered to be "nice" or "safe" is going to be a pretty limiting factor in just about any city Pittsburgh's size or larger. There is no shortage of sub $60,000 homes in a few inner ring suburbs, rural areas, and more run down parts of the City of Pittsburgh.

Especially in a few inner suburbs some of those ~$60,000 homes are not in what are traditionally very low income areas and they are solidly built, etc. but most probably aren't architecturally what the OP is looking for - and if living in Brookline, Beechview, or Dormont without a car requires some extra walking and planning, imagine getting around in West Mifflin or Munhall or Castle Shannon without one. Plus, the atmosphere of those places is deliberately anti-urban.

It seems like bus service (not as much with the trolley) in Allegheny County is basically designed for A) shuttling people to and from work Downtown during morning and late afternoon commutes and B) running through traditionally poor neighborhoods where there are a lot of people who don't have cars. It's not a stretch to figure that if transportation funding remains the same and if enough of the low-income population migrates to other areas (because they are priced out of their traditional neighborhoods) the buses routes will do the same. But, maybe not.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
A "starter" home in San Francisco is at the very least $500k so Pittsburgh is a bargain for people coming from many parts of the country. Plus, the economy is decent and it isn't a blighted mess like many other rust belt cities. That's why houses are selling and the dirt cheap bargain basement prices are disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh