Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It takes at least 15 minutes to drive out of downtown in the evening. On the rare occasions I've been in a car, I've been so frustrated sitting at blocks for minutes at a time.

Plus, even with the rise in bus fare, $5.00 for a two-way trip is still cheaper than the daily charge for virtually any parking near downtown, let alone in it.
I think that's highly dependent upon your working situation. I have paid parking, and work on the very edge of downtown right next to Fort Pitt Blvd. I get to work from Shadyside regularly in 15-20 minutes tops. 10 minutes if I have to take an early conference call and leave for work around 10.

The drive home is worse during the school year, as Forbes in Oakland is a pain.

That being said, if parking wasn't paid for, I wouldn't drive downtown from where I live at all. I would definitely hop the East Busway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think that's highly dependent upon your working situation. I have paid parking, and work on the very edge of downtown right next to Fort Pitt Blvd. I get to work from Shadyside regularly in 15-20 minutes tops. 10 minutes if I have to take an early conference call and leave for work around 10.

The drive home is worse during the school year, as Forbes in Oakland is a pain.

That being said, if parking wasn't paid for, I wouldn't drive downtown from where I live at all. I would definitely hop the East Busway.
I understand what you mean. For a young person, I'd say the cost issue with parking is the main reason why it would be not worth it to drive (unless they end up with paid spaces like you do).

Parking hassle is another, very real thing. I know people who drive to the North Shore or Station Square, park there, then use the T or a bus to get into town. It's cheaper, but hardly ideal either. I can understand why homeowners in places which have poor bus service might do this, but since the OP is looking for an apartment now, I'd highly suggest picking someplace which offers the option of using the bus/T - even if she thinks she doesn't need it now to commute, there's a fairly high chance (particularly if she's from a sun-belt area and used to ample downtown parking) she'll want to switch to mass transit soon enough.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:26 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's because you don't live in the suburbs and rarely go there so you have no idea what's going on there. Just look at population statistics. Every 20 something isn't living in the city. And they're not all living with their parents either. There are many, many 20 somethings that would never dream of moving into the city. I'd say the majority of ones who grew up in the suburbs are that way.
Back in 2011, the Wall Street Journal reported that 88% of young adults want to live in "an urban environment." Many will not (only 32% do now), because they live in high-cost areas and cannot afford the lifestyle they want in a safe part of the city. But that is the ideal (if not the universal ideal) now.

Plus, the OP expressed something like interest in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. If she liked these, I can't think of too many suburbs she'd have an ideal social experience in.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
I can understand why homeowners in places which have poor bus service might do this, but since the OP is looking for an apartment now, I'd highly suggest picking someplace which offers the option of using the bus/T - even if she thinks she doesn't need it now to commute, there's a fairly high chance (particularly if she's from a sun-belt area and used to ample downtown parking) she'll want to switch to mass transit soon enough.

Its certainly a convenience to be near the busline even if you have a car, but there are areas outside the more expensive east end locales that have bus service to town- Bellevue, Avalon, Ben Avon, West View are all covered pretty well in that regard and are a lot less expensive than points east.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Plus, the OP expressed something like interest in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. If she liked these, I can't think of too many suburbs she'd have an ideal social experience in.
She said she can afford those highly recommended areas. That's not the same as having an interest. She also said she could live 7 miles or 30 minutes from downtown. That takes a person well outside of the city, especially to the north. She never once mentioned "ideal social experience" in her criteria. Some people just want a nice, safe, clean neighborhood they can afford within a reasonable commute to their work. Oh, wait, that's exactly what she asked about, those were her exact words. Believe it or not, there are people who are capable of having great social experiences wherever they live. If they don't list a specific ready made social environment in their criteria, it's a good bet it's low on their priorities. The same applies to transportation, especially when they specifically say public transportation isn't mandatory.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its certainly a convenience to be near the busline even if you have a car, but there are areas outside the more expensive east end locales that have bus service to town- Bellevue, Avalon, Ben Avon, West View are all covered pretty well in that regard and are a lot less expensive than points east.
Exactly. The same applies to Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, Dormont, etc. It's not necessary to to live in the east end or the city to have access to public transportation. The neighborhood options are even greater when park-n-rides are considered.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 6,532 times
Quote:
Define "clean" and "nice."
clean as in pest-free.
nice as in not run down, not a sketchy mess. preferably reasonable amount of plants (like a classic suburb look would be nice) and reasonably close to grocery/stores. also a plus to live near other young people, but not a must.

Last edited by cheryll2013; 04-21-2013 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryll2013 View Post
clean as in pest-free.
nice as in not run down, not a sketchy mess. preferably reasonable amount plants (like a classic suburb look would be nice) and reasonably close to grocery/stores. also a plus to live near other young people, but not a must.
Everywhere we mentioned is clean overall as far as pests are concerned, but most of them are not nice by your definition.

If you want the classic suburb look, you're going to need to move to the real suburban feel suburbs. Suburban "nice" areas where you might find an rental in your price range that are convenient for commuting to the downtown would be Ross Township and Shaler Township. McCandless is also a possibility but it's a little farther away.

There are other great areas, like Aspinwall, but it will be out of your price range.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,532 times
Quote:
Everywhere we mentioned is clean overall as far as pests are concerned, but most of them are not nice by your definition.

If you want the classic suburb look, you're going to need to move to the real suburban feel suburbs. Suburban "nice" areas where you might find an rental in your price range that are convenient for commuting to the downtown would be Ross Township and Shaler Township. McCandless is also a possibility but it's a little farther away.

There are other great areas, like Aspinwall, but it will be out of your price range.
What about just the minimum not sketchy/run-down? I don't really want to drive that far every morning...(can't wake up early enough) I guess I would still prefer proximity to work. What would be the closest area to downtown that is still reasonably not sketchy?

Quote:
Just to be clear, I understand that some people would be fine with the downtown car commute, and the increased parking costs. I just think that's going to be a really bad idea for a 22-23 year old. I've known very few single people under 30 who don't locate somewhere in the city, unless they happen to live at their parents house in the suburbs. Chances are thus high that everyone she ends up being social with will live inside the city, and it will be a bit of a pain to always have to drive 15 minutes longer than everyone else. Not to mention it basically cuts out the ability to drink more than one alcoholic beverage without having to strategize how to get back home. Unless she's someone who is really keyed up on the idea of living in a complex and having an assigned parking spot which is always available, I'm not sure what it gets her.
I had exactly the typical young people mentality and preference a few years ago. but then I did college in california and grad school in nyc, and got pretty tired of the city lifestyle. I grew up in suburb maryland so I'm actually happy with suburbs. I really wanted a car because I got really fed up with public transportation over the years. As ridiculous as this may sound, I want to be able to buy 24 bottle pack of water from Sam's Club and be able to bring it back...
(also my company has a parking garage for employees so I wasn't worried about parking at work. )

Thanks for the many advices though. I realize my preference's probably pretty weird for people this age.

How is the Edgewood/Wilkensburg area? It looked pretty close to Shadyside but is significantly cheaper, is there something wrong with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Bellevue is a relatively easy and quick trip in, which would be in your budget and is perfectly safe. The borough fathers keep a pretty orderly community. You'd save a bit on your wage tax out there.

Driving by way of 65 or 279, you'd be in town in a flash with no tunnels in the way.
Thanks! Will definitely look into it! Do you happen to know any good rental company in the area?

Last edited by Yac; 04-22-2013 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryll2013 View Post
How is the Edgewood/Wilkensburg area? It looked pretty close to Shadyside but is significantly cheaper, is there something wrong with it?
Depends on which block. Some Are nice and close to frock park and businesses. Others are removed and either isolate or sketchy or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh