Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New to Pittsburgh, seeking information on Penn avenue and Kirkpatrick intersection, why is everyone scarred of Penn and Kirkpatrick, drug dealers, Hill District

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM

511 posts, read 1,936,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlady View Post
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and, Yes, there are some places that even I wouldn't want to be walking through or driving through at night. But, come on people, if you are that afraid just go another route to your destination. I think this kind of fear perpetuates the "be afraid of black people" mentality. Even though race wasn't mentioned in any of the posts I think we all know what the insinuation is since these areas that you are referring to are mostly Black populated areas. Heck, I have been on the South Side of Pgh at certain times of the day and night and I have been afraid.
No one person has come out and said, "stay out of this area because there are bad black people there". This is where reverse racism starts. It is, however, probably a fact that alot of the crime in the more frequently mentioned areas like Homewood, North Side, East Liberty, Garfield is unfortunatley perpetrated by African Americans, and for that, none of us should appologize, because those are just the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 AM

39 posts, read 37,066 times
Default Exactly my point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
No one person has come out and said, "stay out of this area because there are bad black people there". This is where reverse racism starts. It is, however, probably a fact that alot of the crime in the more frequently mentioned areas like Homewood, North Side, East Liberty, Garfield is unfortunatley perpetrated by African Americans, and for that, none of us should appologize, because those are just the facts.
That is exactly my point that no one has "come out and said, 'stay out of this area because there are bad black people there.'" although that is what they are insinuating. I am not denying that there is a lot of crime in these areas (again, I was born and raised here) all I am saying is there is crime everywhere including poor, white areas. So, if you are going to give safety warnings, give safety warnings about ALL areas - not just the black areas. And, BTW, I didn't ask you to apologize...just expressing my opinion here like everyone else! You are entitled to your opinion just like I am. So, chill, please. Thank you!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Um.... I do believe there are warnings of other areas on this board.
No one is insinuating anything but you by basically calling everyone racists when they are just talking about areas prone to crime that were directly questioned about.

Your approach on this reminds me of a paticular time where I was insulted for doing nothing other than being aware for personal safety. A large man (Afro.AM)
walked up to me in a store I was filling out an application at. Asked me if I wanted to be his personal assistant. I said "no thanks I really want to just work here (record store) because I didnt know him from a hole in the ground and he was a guy. He screams at me "its cause im black" SCREAMS IT. I said "no its because you are a man I dont know" He gave me this look and said "yeh right you white b*****"
I dont talk to my own family because they are racists but this is the attitude I got dealt. I find it just as repulsive as my racist parents as it is an ignorant agressive way to deal with a real problem. Be the change you want to see. Dont use the same fire that burns you. Just because a few people in your life may have done you wrong you shouldnt open the door to an evil way of thinking based on generalizations. I have been the minority in various places I have lived and got treated like **** for it. It sucks and its why I dont do the same to others.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I think the guy in the store was trying to run a "street hustle" on you and pulled out the
"race-card" to put you on the defensive...if you were American-African he would have
pulled out another "card" to put you on the defensive...

Its all about perception..crime is probably higher in poor neighborhoods,poor neighborhoods of color are concentrated..thus easily visible...the logic goes,
"oh don't drive thru those neighborhoods..people are waiting at the red lights
to automatically rob you 24/7"...thats the impression I get..

Poor neighborhoods of non-color are maybe less concentrated and invisible so no one
thinks of not driving thru them...then the media,what gets always reported and what
dosen't always get reported...Brentwood,Munhall and Knoxville don't seem to get reported...Its all clashing perceptions among ethnic groups nowdays...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Thank You Agbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think the guy in the store was trying to run a "street hustle" on you and pulled out the
"race-card" to put you on the defensive...if you were American-African he would have
pulled out another "card" to put you on the defensive...

Its all about perception..crime is probably higher in poor neighborhoods,poor neighborhoods of color are concentrated..thus easily visible...the logic goes,
"oh don't drive thru those neighborhoods..people are waiting at the red lights
to automatically rob you 24/7"...thats the impression I get..

Poor neighborhoods of non-color are maybe less concentrated and invisible so no one
thinks of not driving thru them...then the media,what gets always reported and what
dosen't always get reported...Brentwood,Munhall and Knoxville don't seem to get reported...Its all clashing perceptions among ethnic groups nowdays...
you are basically saying what I am saying....you are right, it is all about perception...and our perception is (even though some folks don't want to admit it) influenced by what the media reports. Those areas you mentioned...Brentwood,Munhall...don't get focused on as much when it comes to crime. The news reporting IS unbalanced and unfortunately people rely upon the media too much instead of their own common sense. Now, I am not saying (again) that black people don't commit crimes but statistically (and unfortunately) the crimes that they commit are usually against another person of color. They aren't all laying in wait ready to pounce on some person who drives through their neighborhood.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Um.... I do believe there are warnings of other areas on this board.
No one is insinuating anything but you by basically calling everyone racists when they are just talking about areas prone to crime that were directly questioned about.

Your approach on this reminds me of a paticular time where I was insulted for doing nothing other than being aware for personal safety. A large man (Afro.AM)
walked up to me in a store I was filling out an application at. Asked me if I wanted to be his personal assistant. I said "no thanks I really want to just work here (record store) because I didnt know him from a hole in the ground and he was a guy. He screams at me "its cause im black" SCREAMS IT. I said "no its because you are a man I dont know" He gave me this look and said "yeh right you white b*****"
I dont talk to my own family because they are racists but this is the attitude I got dealt. I find it just as repulsive as my racist parents as it is an ignorant agressive way to deal with a real problem. Be the change you want to see. Dont use the same fire that burns you. Just because a few people in your life may have done you wrong you shouldnt open the door to an evil way of thinking based on generalizations. I have been the minority in various places I have lived and got treated like **** for it. It sucks and its why I dont do the same to others.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
Martin Luther King Jr.
Aren't you glad you got that off of your chest?

It is admirable of you to choose to live your life by treating others fairly regardless of their race....it is unfortunate and sad that your parents have chosen to do the opposite. However, the same anger that I detect in your message is the same anger that I feel as a black person when someone constantly refers to people of color as "thugs", "ghetto rats" and who constantly tell others "Oh, you will want to stay away from that neighborhood..." and they are only mentioning the neighborhoods of color. You stated that there were other neighborhoods mentioned on this board that weren't primarily black....well, I will go back and review the posts...because I can admit when I am wrong. But I don't recall seeing them...but I will look again. However, I know for a fact that by and large the black areas were the ones that were mainly referenced.

And, your interaction with the large African American man is terrible. I definitely do not condone what he did. I actually hate it when people of color (not just African Americans) pull the race card when it is unjustified. I do not feel that I did this in this instance. With that being said, isn't it tiresome that after all of these years and with all of the progress and contributions that people of color have made in this world that the race card HAS to be pulled sometimes? Unfortunate, but true, sometimes race IS an issue and when it is I have no problem pulling that card.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:05 PM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times
Lightbulb The Race Card

Yeah, I had some filthy, stinky bum in Market Square pull the race card out on me.

It's funny how black people always talk about inequality and things and then they're the first ones to accuse you of viewing their skin color as some sort of reason why you should feel sorry for them and give them a break.

A girl I work with was waiting for the bus at Penn and Braddock and some black guy pulled up in an SUV and asked her if she wanted a ride somewhere. Of course, when she said no it was because she's a virulent racist and not because it was some creepy dude in an SUV.

I consider this quite pathetic. White people don't whine (much) when we don't get jobs because of affirmative action, and some people could argue that affirmative action is about the purest form of racism there is.

P.S.
I always make it a point not to trust people on this board who are a) real estate agents and b) go by the handle "Rich Lady."

This, to me, seems like someone who might be posting here with some sort of an agenda.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
Yeah, I had some filthy, stinky bum in Market Square pull the race card out on me.

It's funny how black people always talk about inequality and things and then they're the first ones to accuse you of viewing their skin color as some sort of reason why you should feel sorry for them and give them a break.

A girl I work with was waiting for the bus at Penn and Braddock and some black guy pulled up in an SUV and asked her if she wanted a ride somewhere. Of course, when she said no it was because she's a virulent racist and not because it was some creepy dude in an SUV.

I consider this quite pathetic. White people don't whine (much) when we don't get jobs because of affirmative action, and some people could argue that affirmative action is about the purest form of racism there is.

P.S.
I always make it a point not to trust people on this board who are a) real estate agents and b) go by the handle "Rich Lady."

This, to me, seems like someone who might be posting here with some sort of an agenda.
Ok, you are sooo totally off of the point...what are you talking about latecomer?

No one is asking anyone to feel sorry for the black criminals...SEE? I said it...there are black criminals in this world... A LOT OF THEM! Heck, I am afraid of them too! I do not support them in anyway....I think that they should all be avoided, shunned, locked up, and beaten up if called for! I am afraid of ALL strange people of ANY color who make me feel uncomfortable...the point that I was trying to make is that we shouldn't generalize or wrap an entire neighborhood into one solid category.

Tee, hee, you are so funny...your friend who refused to accept the ride from the black guy was absolutely correct NOT to do that! I would not have done it either! It is UNSAFE! He is a stranger! I am assuming that she would have done the same if he had been white, right? If someone called her a racist for protecting her safety then THEY ARE THE IDIOTS, NOT HER!

And, I am not even going there about the affirmative action comment, that is a whole other talk show and is so off topic it sounds like you are trying to jump in here with your own agenda!

And (I can't stop laughing!) what the heck kinda of logic do you have for not trusting someone with the handle "rich lady?" Now, you gotta' problem against rich people? which I am not by the way. I can understand your distrust of real estate agents...heck, I AM a real estate agent and even I don't trust some of 'em!!! If I made assumptions about people based upon their "handles" I could assume by yours, Elder18, that you are not old enough to even know what you don't know since you are only 18 years old but that you THINK you are old enough to know what you are talking about therefore you call yourself "elder18"....see how ridiculous that sounds?

You are just all over the place with your comments...

Last edited by richlady; 11-04-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM

You know what I just realized? This thread has gotten waaaay off topic...I apologize to nowacitygirl for this. I accept my part and responsibility in this...I was just going back and reading through all of the posts again on this thread and I was like, ok, this is NOT what she was looking for...although I do feel that my initial comments were related to the topic. So, although I have enjoyed the spirited discussion with others who, hopefully, are able to "agree to disagree" I am not going to continue this discussion on this thread. I can hear the moderators now saying "that type of discussion would be more appropriate on the general forum threads" and they would be right.

Although I respectfully disagree with some of you who have responded to my comments...I still think that it is valuable to have these types of discussions (without namecalling...etc.) There were some points made that have made me think differently about certain things...see? it is good to listen to other viewpoints...I am always open to that. Hope to continue freeing my mind, expanding my horizons, and changing some of my viewpoints with you (who care to participate) on the general forums boards.

I just know, however, it is going to be hard to resist jumping in though on these other threads!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 306 times
Hi everybody. I am new to the boards...I was just reading this thread and it is very interesting...it is sad that the topic of race has get so emotional and make people so defensive sometimes. but I guess this is understandable given the ugly, ugly, ugly, looooong history of inequality in this world.

I have to say, for what it is worth, I agree with richlady....it is not that I totally disagree with the rest of you...I can put myself in your shoes as well...but I get her bigger point and picture.

and, just so you know, I am a white female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh