Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New to Pittsburgh, seeking information on Penn avenue and Kirkpatrick intersection, why is everyone scarred of Penn and Kirkpatrick, drug dealers, Hill District

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM

84 posts, read 411,264 times

Advertisements

I've heard all sorts of bad things about this one intersection, and I was wondering why it had such a bad reputation. How bad is this intersection? I'm always afraid I'm going to get lost and end up there. I live near Penn Ave. (like 6 or 7 blocks away - near Highland Park) but I was just wondering why this one intersection has so much fame in being such a scary place.

I hope none of you think I'm an idiot for asking, I've just heard people shudder when mentioning driving through this intersection and people telling me to stay away from it at night, etc. So I was curious about how bad it really was. I'm from the country and I moved to da burgh a few months ago, and I'm learning about all these places I need to steer clear of (the hill district, homewood, etc.) so I just would like to be enlightened, lol.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowACityGirl View Post
I've heard all sorts of bad things about this one intersection, and I was wondering why it had such a bad reputation. How bad is this intersection? I'm always afraid I'm going to get lost and end up there. I live near Penn Ave. (like 6 or 7 blocks away - near Highland Park) but I was just wondering why this one intersection has so much fame in being such a scary place.

I hope none of you think I'm an idiot for asking, I've just heard people shudder when mentioning driving through this intersection and people telling me to stay away from it at night, etc. So I was curious about how bad it really was. I'm from the country and I moved to da burgh a few months ago, and I'm learning about all these places I need to steer clear of (the hill district, homewood, etc.) so I just would like to be enlightened, lol.

Thanks
Where is that? I've never heard of that intersection. The only Kirkpatrick that comes up on Google Maps is a street that crosses the Hill District and goes down to the Birmingham Bridge. The only "famous" intersections that comes to mind as far as scary stuff goes is Frankstown Ave/Homewood Ave in Homewood.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
The only "famous" intersections that comes to mind as far as scary stuff goes is Frankstown Ave/Homewood Ave in Homewood.
I hate that intersection! Every single time.....A red light, me, and 25 thugs loitering....

Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 AM

511 posts, read 1,936,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
I hate that intersection! Every single time.....A red light, me, and 25 thugs loitering....
Why do you even drive through there?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM

I heard bad things about it on here, I think it was Pimps who said he stopped at that intersection and his heart sank once, and someone else said to stay away from that intersection (Penn and Kirkpatrick). I dunno, I guess it's part of the Hill district. Funny, I got lost in the Hill district when I first moved to Pgh. and I was on the phone with someone and I said "I'll ask someone for directions." and the person I was on the phone with said "Don't ask anybody anything. Get the hell out of there." Talk about scaring the country girl. Sheesh!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
I heard bad things about it on here, I think it was Pimps who said he stopped at that intersection and his heart sank once, and someone else said to stay away from that intersection (Penn and Kirkpatrick). I dunno, I guess it's part of the Hill district. Funny, I got lost in the Hill district when I first moved to Pgh. and I was on the phone with someone and I said "I'll ask someone for directions." and the person I was on the phone with said "Don't ask anybody anything. Get the hell out of there." Talk about scaring the country girl. Sheesh!
Centre and Kirkpatrick, not Penn. Centre Avenue, between Kikpatrick and Erin has long been the center of the hard drugs trade in Pittsburgh. It's not nearly as busy as it used to be (70s/80s), since the rise of crack in the late 80s resulted in much of the drug trade that was once concentrated on the Hill, spreading into many other neighborhoods around the region.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I've driven down Centre Avenue hundreds if not thousands of times in the last 25 years, and I don't know why you all have your knickers in a knot about it. When 5th Avenue is backed up in Oakland, this is the quickest way to downtown from Craig Street. Yes, it's not the best area, but you're not going to be stopped and pulled out of your car by roving gangs of maurauders. Unless you're going up some dark alley for a drug fix, you realy aren't in any danger. And if you're that frightened, don't drive through there.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 PM

39 posts, read 37,066 times
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I've driven down Centre Avenue hundreds if not thousands of times in the last 25 years, and I don't know why you all have your knickers in a knot about it. When 5th Avenue is backed up in Oakland, this is the quickest way to downtown from Craig Street. Yes, it's not the best area, but you're not going to be stopped and pulled out of your car by roving gangs of maurauders. Unless you're going up some dark alley for a drug fix, you realy aren't in any danger. And if you're that frightened, don't drive through there.
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and, Yes, there are some places that even I wouldn't want to be walking through or driving through at night. But, come on people, if you are that afraid just go another route to your destination. I think this kind of fear perpetuates the "be afraid of black people" mentality. Even though race wasn't mentioned in any of the posts I think we all know what the insinuation is since these areas that you are referring to are mostly Black populated areas. Heck, I have been on the South Side of Pgh at certain times of the day and night and I have been afraid.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 PM

I did not mean to insinuate anything, all I wanted to know was how bad that area really was. I didn't want to know what the race of people there were, because that doesn't matter to me. I've been afraid of white people before too, so it really doesn't matter to me what race they are. If they carry a gun or a baseball bat or whatever, they are dangerous.

I moved to Pittsburgh a few months ago from a small town in PA and I was just wondering what the hype of the one intersection was, and the one person answered my question: it used to be big for drugs. That's all I wanted to know is why it was famous for being dangerous.

I didn't mean to get things in an uproar around here. Sheesh. And I'm not a baby either, I do use caution and I don't drive through places I'm not comfortable being in. All I asked was why this particular intersection was so dangerous. That's all.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 37,066 times
Default Sorry...

Quote:
I did not mean to insinuate anything, all I wanted to know was how bad that area really was. I didn't want to know what the race of people there were, because that doesn't matter to me. I've been afraid of white people before too, so it really doesn't matter to me what race they are. If they carry a gun or a baseball bat or whatever, they are dangerous.

I moved to Pittsburgh a few months ago from a small town in PA and I was just wondering what the hype of the one intersection was, and the one person answered my question: it used to be big for drugs. That's all I wanted to know is why it was famous for being dangerous.

I didn't mean to get things in an uproar around here. Sheesh. And I'm not a baby either, I do use caution and I don't drive through places I'm not comfortable being in. All I asked was why this particular intersection was so dangerous. That's all.
nowacitygirl....my comments weren't really directed at you. I should have clarified. It is just that I have seen so many posts on here about "bad" parts of the city or stay away from "xyz" and 99.9% of the time they are referring to areas that are heavily populated by African American people...it just bothers me when I know that SOME people, not all, when giving advice automatically refer to the areas where poor, black people live and rarely to the areas where poor, white people live (as if crime only happens in one spot). Sorry, didn't mean to cause an uproar either because you simply wanted to know about certain intersections. I am done venting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh