Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Public transit, yes, but I'd rather I-376 be upgraded and the south beltway built around to Monroeville. The "Almono" site development is probably going to preclude the Mon-Fayette Expressway from being built into the city.
Getting in and out of Pittsburgh is a mess. There needs to be better alternative and that area is booming from shale. Not sure what that development is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
How so?
It killed over 1000 homes in the East Street Valley if I remember right.

Even farther north look at where the bridges are in the areas of Ross, where it cut those roads in half. They used to be contiguous. Some have bridges, but some don't and were cut off forever.

It was not bad for the points farther north that the road serves. It was bad for the North Side where stuff was destroyed to make the road. And the road leaves a dividing line that doesn't heal well.

I drive on 279 every weekday, but I'm not blind to what it did in the closer in areas.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Getting in and out of Pittsburgh is a mess. There needs to be better alternative and that area is booming from shale. Not sure what that development is.
It'd be best to do an overhaul of I-376 incrementally. Focusing specifically on the Parkway West, it'd be best to start by replacing the two overhead railroad spans and all overpasses, and reconfiguring all interchanges except the junction with I-79. The next step would be enlarging the Fort Pitt Tunnel to fit three lanes in each tube, and modifying the tunnel side of the Fort Pitt Bridge to handle three lanes entering/exiting the tubes while reducing the Carson Street on- and off-ramps to one lane. The last step would be widening the mainline to six lanes, plus truck-climbing lanes where necessary. The work zone would extend from the Fort Pitt Bridge to the edge of Pittsburgh International Airport. The project would take a decade to get done, but it needs to get done.

(During the tunnel expansion, detours would involve the Liberty Tunnel and Bridge for people heading east of downtown Pittsburgh, and the West End Bridge for people heading north of Downtown Pittsburgh.)

Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
The work zone would extend from the Fort Pitt Bridge to the edge of Pittsburgh International Airport. The project would take a good decade to get done, but it needs to get done.
That would really be an unpleasant decade for everyone. I don't see why it needs done. It isn't as if there are more people in the metro area than there were 20 years ago.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That would really be an unpleasant decade for everyone. I don't see why it needs done. It isn't as if there are more people in the metro area than there were 20 years ago.
But in 20 years there will be. And a good chunk will be using that section to get in and out of the city.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
But in 20 years there will be. And a good chunk will be using that section to get in and out of the city.
If you spend tens of billions to make a particular commute by car easier, you'll get more people living that way, sure. But if the money were spent more sensibly, the region will just add people in other places where the commute isn't so horrible.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you spend tens of billions to make a particular commute by car easier, you'll get more people living that way, sure. But if the money were spent more sensibly, the region will just add people in other places where the commute isn't so horrible.
Its all a matter of opinion. Personally, I believe some money should be spent on bettering public transportation and some for upgrading our pathetic highways. Leaning too far to one side is never good. That's just the worst highway and I agree with Guntella that it should be upgraded. Better Penndot's money be spent here than Filthadlephia

Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Its all a matter of opinion. Personally, I believe some money should be spent on bettering public transportation and some for upgrading our pathetic highways. Leaning too far to one side is never good. That's just the worst highway and I agree with Guntella that it should be upgraded. Better Penndot's money be spent here than Filthadlephia
I agree going the Public Transit route is a better, quicker, and cheaper way to alleviating the congestion.

With better enhanced Public Transit, as well as more incentives you will pull cars off the Parkways in record time. People would prefer to use Transit if its convenient, reliable, and direct enough...

We know Gnutella loves his Car and the highway systems, but widening the Parkways (albeit is needed) will not solve the problem, it will just encourage more congestion and will never be ahead of the problem, always behind.

PAT/County/Penndot - Should start with constructing massive P&R Garages in Key corners of the County that can house 1K+ cars, like what's at South Hills Village. Tie in Parking payments/lease to Weekly, Monthly Passes done all on the Connect Card. Offer premium express (directly) to Downtown and Oakland from the Garages.

I would target these areas for the first Enhancements:
  • Bridgeville
  • Carnegie (convert the Busway P&R to a Garage)
  • Moon (convert the current P&R Lot to Garage)
  • Robinson
  • The 65 corridor
  • Wexford, McCandless
  • Ross (Convert the P&R lots to Garage)
  • The 28 Corridor
  • Monroeville, Plum
  • Wilkinsburg (Convert Busway P&R lot to a layered Garage)
  • McKeeport Transportation Center
  • Century III Corridor

Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
It'd be best to do an overhaul of I-376 incrementally. Focusing specifically on the Parkway West, it'd be best to start by replacing the two overhead railroad spans and all overpasses, and reconfiguring all interchanges except the junction with I-79. The next step would be enlarging the Fort Pitt Tunnel to fit three lanes in each tube, and modifying the tunnel side of the Fort Pitt Bridge to handle three lanes entering/exiting the tubes while reducing the Carson Street on- and off-ramps to one lane. The last step would be widening the mainline to six lanes, plus truck-climbing lanes where necessary. The work zone would extend from the Fort Pitt Bridge to the edge of Pittsburgh International Airport. The project would take a decade to get done, but it needs to get done.

(During the tunnel expansion, detours would involve the Liberty Tunnel and Bridge for people heading east of downtown Pittsburgh, and the West End Bridge for people heading north of Downtown Pittsburgh.)
That is going to create traffic hell for years to come and it is too expensive. Much cheaper and easier on everyone to just build a new road and focus on public transit.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:32 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Frankly, it shouldn't be a state agencies job to make it easier for someone to live further and further away from their job. Upgrading the road infrastructure we have and focus on rail links for commuters on the other side of the tunnels is the most practical option, but road contractors and real estate people have much more powerful lobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh