Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Starting a thread with "I have black friends" is code for " I only know one black person who is really is not that black"....lol
I dated a black woman, but she was a registered Republican, so I'm not sure it counts.

Last edited by eschaton; 05-01-2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: apparently offensive?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
SCR's thread, and his concerns, are very well-founded.

BITD (1985), whilst gentrifying, I walked down my street with my new boyfriend one night and, as we walked past, the do-ragged black male who lived in a house across and down from me proclaimed stentorially for everyone else on his stoop, "Ah hope you get you case o' AIDS and die, f*g*o*s."

That's the only experience I've ever had with gaybashing. I was traumatized by this experience, partly because when my boyfriend broke up with me, he said part of the reason was that he didn't want to date someone whose street he was afraid to walk down alone at night.
You sure were blazing a trail in the 80s. I hope it's better these days. I'm sure you realize by now that was a superficial reason to break up with you. He didn't have to walk down your street at night. Other arrangements could have been made. My lesbian neighbor tells me that there are just as many jerks in the lesbian community as the heterosexual community. In other words, it's just as hard for a lesbian to find a good woman as it is a heterosexual to find a good man.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
SCR's thread, and his concerns, are well-founded.

BITD (1985), whilst gentrifying, I walked down my street with my new boyfriend one night and, as we walked past, the do-ragged black male who lived in a house across and down from me proclaimed stentorially for me and Bill and everyone on his stoop, "Ah hope you get you case o' AIDS and die, f*g*o*s." I had never spoken a word to the man.

That's the only experience I've ever had with gaybashing. I was traumatized by this experience, partly because when my boyfriend broke up with me, he said part of the reason was that he didn't want to date someone whose street he was afraid to walk down alone at night.
Wow. I'm very sorry to read this, Jay, and I hope that guy realized what he truly missed out on! With that being said stories like this continue to this day. If I recall correctly alleghenyangel says that he's had guys cringe because of where he lives (and Stowe Twp. isn't exactly the 'hood, either).

Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You sure were blazing a trail in the 80s. I hope it's better these days. I'm sure you realize by now that was a superficial reason to break up with you. He didn't have to walk down your street at night. Other arrangements could have been made. My lesbian neighbor tells me that there are just as many jerks in the lesbian community as the heterosexual community. In other words, it's just as hard for a lesbian to find a good woman as it is a heterosexual to find a good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. I'm very sorry to read this, Jay, and I hope that guy realized what he truly missed out on! With that being said stories like this continue to this day. If I recall correctly alleghenyangel says that he's had guys cringe because of where he lives (and Stowe Twp. isn't exactly the 'hood, either).
Oh, Bill was a jerk in many ways. He was just so darned pretty when he took his pants off.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
But he was so darned pretty when he took his pants off.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post

Starting a thread with "I have black friends" is code for " I only know one black person who is really is not that black"....lol

Mr Pipkins,

We talked before since you're from that Pipkins Family, the Hoopsters. Said to say I met all my black friends on the b-ball court. None living in my town, only 3 in my graduation class of 650. None at the Great White Private College I attended.

Two doors down from me is a black neighbor, we talk very little, just like the Big Dumb White Guy that lives across from me.

Not sure what the answer is, my outlook is simple,

Cut your grass and I don't care what color you are, n'at.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM

416 posts, read 581,255 times
Quote:
SCR's thread, and his concerns, are well-founded.

BITD (1985), whilst gentrifying, I walked down my street with my new boyfriend one night and, as we walked past, the do-ragged black male who lived in a house across and down from me proclaimed stentorially for me and Bill and everyone on his stoop, "Ah hope you get you case o' AIDS and die, f*g*o*s." I had never spoken a word to the man.

I'm really sorry that this happened to you and I don't mean to minimize it any way, but I hope you're not suggesting that this would never happen to a gay person in a predominantly white neighborhood like, oh, say, Bloomfield.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Being judged for where you live is nothing exclusive to gay people and it isn't going to change anytime soon (where you live is a choice, at least to some degree, so it does say something about a person). Just imagine if you were interested in somebody from Cranberry Township!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
I'm really sorry that this happened to you and I don't mean to minimize it any way, but I hope you're not suggesting that this would never happen to a gay person in a predominantly white neighborhood like, oh, say, Bloomfield.
I'm just relating an experience. I'm not suggesting that anything could never happen in any specific location (for the Jersey boys and girls: I had an aunt who was fond of saying "You can get murdered on Upper Mountain Avenue just as easily as you can in Newark"). I know there are loads of white christians who are just as eager for "f*g*o*s" to get their "case of AIDS and die" as Clyde of Adams-Morgan was for me and Bill to get ours.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The doesn't make him less of a person. He only has access to the people he has access to. It's not like he is avoiding people. If he moves to a black neighborhood, he'll have more opportunities to meet what you define as "real black" people. It's so sad when you say these things because you misunderstand us as much as we misunderstand you. At least we know we are misunderstanding you. You seem to think you've got us all figured out.
I never said it made anybody less of a person. Most black people have experienced a white person (mostly older women) encounter..... Your at the park or in the grocery store and this person compliments your cute children and follows up with a " I have black neighbors" or " I have a white friend" ???? We laugh about it all the time. Its just weird and unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh