Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,233 times

Advertisements

Attention all residences of Braddock... Take a moment to post what's happening in your town. How is the 're-birth' going? let the world hear your voice... Tell us about the negative but focus on the positive. Many people want to hear, first hand, what's happening... Perhaps Mayor Fetterman would join in?

Last edited by Phx Dweller; 10-31-2007 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: added more words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,770 times
Thumbs down 15104

This part of the Mon needs to get a revitization project soon. There are projects in the works but where not here. There are way too many bars and too many drug addicts. What need to happen is a unified police project within the 15104 area. Instead of individual stations. Why does Rankin have a bigger police force than Braddock. Where is the Community Center that was suppose to be built on Library St. We paid for it. All I see is a Mayor that was elected because he was unopposed. Here is a thought! Why not put the Mon- Fayette Expessway through Braddock. Maybe that will clean it up alittle

Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Hmm... What about the community center that was paid for? I think a unified police certainly couldn't hurt. I also think a shake up in the Borough Council may be in order. A progressive Mayor is a start. Many people resist change- though when executed appropriately it can be very beneficial to all. I see a lot of posts in many threads about dying towns in the area. My question is, where is the hope? Hope alone can never save a town, but it can inspire. I think the mayor is trying to do that... and he's getting national attention... Thats a start. I would think that there are enough energetic, creative people in Pittsburgh willing to take a chance, that they could create an area of interest. An area that offers what the others do not. An area that draws people in. I live in downtown Phoenix (az) and have for 10 years. Phx was a desperate place when I moved here and bought my (crack) house for $35,000 dollars. Its now a restored historic home worth an obscene amount. We fought to make it happen here. The political will was not with us. It is now. We share a downtown area where starving artists and the financially elite co-exist happily and we would have it no other way. Our 'First Friday's' art tour (once the thorn in the side of the city planners) now attracts over 25,000 people! It's an amazing sight...

My question to all of you who are closer to it is: What's happening now? Are business' moving in? Is the mayor's plan working at all? Is there anything of interest there? Are the artists in the Orringer building selling there wares? Is there a place to get a decent cup of coffee? A decent glass of wine? Is there anyone in the town willing to pay for it? If not, will people from surrounding areas come there for it? Is there a grocery store? If someone opened an interesting, organic and/or locally sourced store- would people shop there? I know I am not the only person outside of the area interested in Braddock... I am just having a hard time sourcing information. Thats why I started the thread... I hope to hear from people 'in the thick of it'. I see the crime statistics etc. I want to know if anything is happening... All the media attention is 'on point' about the mayor's plan. I am interested in knowing if it's really taking root on the ground. I am planning a trip there in January to experience it for myself- I am hoping for some local input... I think a freeway through the town would get rid of some of the blight- for sure. But, let's face it- If they haven't come up with the money after all these years, Um, well, try a different plan... No?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Infamousnoddy, no offense, but in the interest of factual information- the mayor was not unopposed in his bid for office. He defeated the incumbent by one vote...

Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 PM

237 posts, read 859,781 times
From what I understand, the free artist space at Ohringer building is gone, due to the actual owners running at a loss. (I believe the Pittsburgh City Paper covered this.)

I can't believe that anyone thinks that the Mon-Fayette would clean up the town. It would completely bisect it, alienating the different parts even more. It just doesn't make sense, physically.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
I think they need to clean Braddock up. It is a huge eyesore. The buildings are unkept, delapitated and it looks like no one cares. Makes me wonder if it is due to lack of money that no one can clean thier house or business or if it is laziness...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 PM

59 posts, read 311,919 times
Nobody lives in braddock anymore: Think about it, in the 40s through the 70s there was about 20,000 people in the city, now there's what, maybe 5,000? The Steel mill doesnt even benefit residents that much anymore, most workers probably live elsewhere...Though it's nice to see a mill still working in the USA.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM

73 posts, read 120,257 times
Default Surprised by Joy

I haven't checked out these forums in quite some time. My wonderful girlfriend and I have been in Braddock for almost a year. What a year it's been! Too much has happened to list here. And truthfully, even if I did list it, most people wouldn't get it. CS Lewis described discovering his faith as being surprised by joy, by suddenly being overcome with a sense of hope and purpose, a moment of belonging. Thousands of people have read Lewis' words and immediately understood the feeling he was referring to. Millions read his words and are still trying to figure it out. That's exactly how Braddock is, minus the religious conversion. You either hear its siren song or you don't. If you don't, I can't tell you why it's such a beautiful tune. It just is.

One year later, I'm spending my days wearing a respirator 40 hours a week; scraping old (probably lead) paint off brick walls; shoveling, literally, tons of river rock off the roof of the old Chevrolet dealership we're fixing up for our furniture business; clearing whole forests of vines and poison ivy; and helping the mayor create communal living and work spaces for others. It's hard work, but we share the company of other individuals who hear the call of this wild. During our weekly potlucks or standing around one of Bill's bonfires down by the Mon, I often find myself surprised by how much joy there is in the ruins of Braddock.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
I haven't checked out these forums in quite some time. My wonderful girlfriend and I have been in Braddock for almost a year. What a year it's been! Too much has happened to list here. And truthfully, even if I did list it, most people wouldn't get it. CS Lewis described discovering his faith as being surprised by joy, by suddenly being overcome with a sense of hope and purpose, a moment of belonging. Thousands of people have read Lewis' words and immediately understood the feeling he was referring to. Millions read his words and are still trying to figure it out. That's exactly how Braddock is, minus the religious conversion. You either hear its siren song or you don't. If you don't, I can't tell you why it's such a beautiful tune. It just is.

One year later, I'm spending my days wearing a respirator 40 hours a week; scraping old (probably lead) paint off brick walls; shoveling, literally, tons of river rock off the roof of the old Chevrolet dealership we're fixing up for our furniture business; clearing whole forests of vines and poison ivy; and helping the mayor create communal living and work spaces for others. It's hard work, but we share the company of other individuals who hear the call of this wild. During our weekly potlucks or standing around one of Bill's bonfires down by the Mon, I often find myself surprised by how much joy there is in the ruins of Braddock.
When we moved to Oakland (CA) 20 years ago, we were imbued by the same hopes and dreams. For us -- it didn't work out as well... the neighborhood is still sketchy, still lots of downtroddenness -- but we're still here. It's not so awful we have got to leave NOW -- but honestly, the next time houses are selling like hotcakes -- we're outta here. (And dragging about 20 cats with us!)

But the excitement from you pops off this post. You are excited to be there, excited to be working hard for your future -- to be part of a much bigger thing to come.

It's infectious. The next time I'm home -- I'll be going to Braddock. I have to see what this place is offering.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeeq521 View Post
I can't believe that anyone thinks that the Mon-Fayette would clean up the town. It would completely bisect it, alienating the different parts even more. It just doesn't make sense, physically.
It makes sense to me. What else are you going to do with unsafe buildings that are way beyond rehab? There are more rundown, neglected properties than there are people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh