Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 17,425 times

Advertisements

as always, thanks in advance for your help.

we bought a house in point breeze in 2012. prior to our close the previous owners appealed their assessment but no one showed up at the appeal since they were moving and we didn't know anything about it.

this month we got notice that pittsburgh schools is appealing because the sale price when we purchased the home was higher than the recently assessed value. to be honest, i feel we paid fair market value for the home and the appraisal we got for financing is right at the purchase price. i don't mind paying more in taxes but when i look around our neighborhood, comparable homes are paying much less in taxes. my plan is to at least get an independent appraisal to see if it comes in any lower. does anyone else have any thoughts? has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Doesn't matter what your neighbors are assessed at, what is your property worth? You can't compare assessed value to assessed value.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Your property is worth what you paid for it.

Comparables are recent selling price of similar houses in similar condition in your area, not neighbor's assessment value.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM

115 posts, read 186,187 times
Maybe checking out articles like this will help you.

How to Defend Allegheny County Assessment Appeals - Avvo.com

If you ask me, the statutes allowing school districts to get involved at all in assessment is pure bull.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball2 View Post
as always, thanks in advance for your help.

we bought a house in point breeze in 2012. prior to our close the previous owners appealed their assessment but no one showed up at the appeal since they were moving and we didn't know anything about it.

this month we got notice that pittsburgh schools is appealing because the sale price when we purchased the home was higher than the recently assessed value. to be honest, i feel we paid fair market value for the home and the appraisal we got for financing is right at the purchase price. i don't mind paying more in taxes but when i look around our neighborhood, comparable homes are paying much less in taxes. my plan is to at least get an independent appraisal to see if it comes in any lower. does anyone else have any thoughts? has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

thanks!
Call an appraisal and run it by him or her. Most likely they will have a hard time getting around the purchase price unless you really over paid. It all depends on whether or not your purchase price is was "high" for the neighborhood. Basically, if you have very high level finishes and most of the other comps are finished to a much lower level. If that is the case then you might be able to get a favorable appraisal but you are still left explaining the purchase price. Having an appraisal by your bank doesn't help. It would be much better if you paid cash.

I would still go the hearing. Make sure to point out if you got some "seller's assistance". Also, try and beg for 10-25,000 below the sales price.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,473 times
Yours is a real easy case for the school district to win- assessments are to be based upon the most recent sales prices. Taking the time for you to base your argument upon the premise that your home's value is less than what you recently paid for it, will probably prove futile. Because your neighbors' homes seem currently under-assessed, does not aid you in this dispute.

On a side note, if an individual purchases a home in Allegheny County and wishes to keep his/her property taxes to the lowest possible levels, finding a neighborhood that is not transient and staying in the home for many years would be key. In other words, do not be surprised that your neighbors' property assessments will rise next year (if the court order is adhered to) by virtue of the price that you paid for your home.

This continual assessment headache is not going away anytime soon in Allegheny County. Yours is just one more example of how inequitable and unfair that this system continues to be, and you/we can do nothing about it.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,646 times
Sounds like you are fairly assessed and your neighbors are under assessed. While that may seem unfair (because it is), it doesn't help your case. You can go to the hearing, all it will cost you is your time and parking, but you don't really have any case to make. The only way to win this will be to prove you overpaid for your home or your just purchased home has lost value since purchase, which even if either was true (which they aren't) would be tough to prove.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 AM

654 posts, read 944,761 times
My agent advised me that the taxes on the house I'm currently in the process of purchasing might very well increase, since the property is presently assessed at quite a bit less than what I'm paying for it. I hope the school district doesn't appeal. Is it common for the districts to appeal? This might sound controversial, but I personally believe that childless people like myself shouldn't have to pay school tax--we don't benefit, since we have no kids!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
My agent advised me that the taxes on the house I'm currently in the process of purchasing might very well increase, since the property is presently assessed at quite a bit less than what I'm paying for it. I hope the school district doesn't appeal. Is it common for the districts to appeal? This might sound controversial, but I personally believe that childless people like myself shouldn't have to pay school tax--we don't benefit, since we have no kids!
You benefit by living in a society with a well educated population and all that goes along with it.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Well, then, you won't mind if the kids around you are dumb and unemployable and stealing your stuff in ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh