Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OathDestroyer1189 View Post
This is actually not true at all. The vast majority of crime occurs on the South Side of Richmond and the North Side. Things do occasionally happen in the Fan and around VCU but I lived around the area for years and never felt unsafe. It's really just a matter of being smart, i.e. sober and aware of one's surroundings, and not walking alone in unfamiliar areas late at night or in the early morning hours. Richmond is a historic, thriving city that many people choose to stay put in after they've been there a while.
That seems pretty consistent with what I've been hearing through examining Richmond VA. Can't wait to eventually check that city out!

I still quite admire Pittsburgh, but thinking Richmond might be another one of those hidden gems - from a density neighborhood perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Richmond's relationship with the river is very special. The connection is greater and more emotional than the connection in Pittsburg.

I love Pittsburg. I'd visit regularly when I lived in Columbus (it was well worth the drive).
Richmond in no way reminds me of Pittsburg even though I'm extremely fond of both cities (Richmond wins for me). RVA really can't be beat. It has absolutely everything that I want in a city without all of the terrible people fighting for resources (all the stimulation, very little effort). Richmond (and Virginia) is more affluent too. There aren't any real blue collar neighborhoods left (hipsters and empty nesters renovating everything) which is kind of sad. But I love the coffee and doughnut shops and record stores that they bring with them!!

Here's a video with some nice aerial shots of the river and the Fan (the plane is flying down Monument Avenue at the end of the short video).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrMCu0k170

Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Richmondoutside.com

Parks (mostly river) info...

Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
We have some friends in Richmond, and they came up to visit last Fall. One thing they said more than once is how much they wished Richmond (or really, VA aside from DC) had sports teams. Having the Pirates and Steelers here gives a huge amount of energy to the city -- and I don't follow hockey at all, and I still enjoy the buzz around the Penguins. Even in college sports, Pitt has better teams than anything in Richmond itself (after all, the big college teams in VA like VTech and UVA are all pretty far away) -- so, our friends absolutely loved seeing a baseball game, and they've been meaning to come back for a visit to Heinz Field.

Of course, this really only applies to sports fans, so a lot of people won't care about this, or will see the teams as a negative since they do create traffic and encourage a certain amount of rowdy drinking. But on the whole I think having real teams and a real fan base in and around Pittsburgh gives the city a certain energy that does a lot for civic pride and identity, as well as encouraging people to come into the city, eat at the restaurants, stop by local shops, pay for parking, etc.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,238 times
I can see your comparison and have personally noted some of the similarities on several fronts. The river, pretty skyline (PGH wins hands down), good people, and its fair share of private working class clubs. Richmond is growing out of its sleepy, southern town framework, but it has a ways to go for catching up to the Burgh.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 58,875 times
I have lived in both Richmond (for one year) and Pittsburgh (for two years while attending grad school). Pittsburgh is by far way better than Richmond. I went to undergrad in Virginia and had a lot of friends living in Richmond. It was EXTREMELY hard to meet new people and I found the city extremely cliquey. The first question you are oftentimes asked is "where did you go to high school?" I am from Ohio. I found Pittsburgh way more friendly and much easier to meet new people. In Richmond, people stayed with their groups when they went out and did not make much effort to talk to others. Pittsburgh was way easier to talk to people and had a better atmosphere as well. The Fan also does not even remotely compare to Shadyside and other neighborhoods like that!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasury View Post
I have lived in both Richmond (for one year) and Pittsburgh (for two years while attending grad school). Pittsburgh is by far way better than Richmond. I went to undergrad in Virginia and had a lot of friends living in Richmond. It was EXTREMELY hard to meet new people and I found the city extremely cliquey. The first question you are oftentimes asked is "where did you go to high school?" I am from Ohio. I found Pittsburgh way more friendly and much easier to meet new people. In Richmond, people stayed with their groups when they went out and did not make much effort to talk to others. Pittsburgh was way easier to talk to people and had a better atmosphere as well. The Fan also does not even remotely compare to Shadyside and other neighborhoods like that!
I'm surprised The Fan does not. I would have thought that was the city's main selling point. All that density, with tons of things to do. I haven't had the chance to visit, but looking at google maps, there is some very density in there, it looks quite clean and eclectically interesting as well.

I hope to visit in December. Sometimes places give a completely different vibe, once actually in them in person though.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Richmond's relationship with the river is very special. The connection is greater and more emotional than the connection in Pittsburg.
I'm glad you said this because I was trying to find a way to respond to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I for one am very glad to drive an hour and a half to the "Yock" to get my once-a-year rapids thrills in.
without outright resuscitating a post that's over a year old.

What a lot of people who haven't spent time in Richmond fail to realize is that the James is so, so much more than just rafting. The river is effectively utilized as a park in and of itself. It's a very popular pastime to go and just hang out and picnic on the rocks in the middle of the river, like you might do in a conventional park. It's a prime social gathering place for the city. As far as I know, a river being used in such a way right in an urban core is unique in America.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm surprised The Fan does not. I would have thought that was the city's main selling point. All that density, with tons of things to do. I haven't had the chance to visit, but looking at google maps, there is some very density in there, it looks quite clean and eclectically interesting as well.

I hope to visit in December. Sometimes places give a completely different vibe, once actually in them in person though.
If you do visit, Carytown is really where it's at.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
If you do visit, Carytown is really where it's at.
That's good to know! It's adjacent to The Fan? I think I've heard of it, but that'll stay in my mind now when I do make the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh