Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM

21 posts, read 58,861 times

Advertisements

Quote: Originally Posted by Treasury
I have lived in both Richmond (for one year) and Pittsburgh (for two years while attending grad school). Pittsburgh is by far way better than Richmond. I went to undergrad in Virginia and had a lot of friends living in Richmond. It was EXTREMELY hard to meet new people and I found the city extremely cliquey. The first question you are oftentimes asked is "where did you go to high school?" I am from Ohio. I found Pittsburgh way more friendly and much easier to meet new people. In Richmond, people stayed with their groups when they went out and did not make much effort to talk to others. Pittsburgh was way easier to talk to people and had a better atmosphere as well. The Fan also does not even remotely compare to Shadyside and other neighborhoods like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm surprised The Fan does not. I would have thought that was the city's main selling point. All that density, with tons of things to do. I haven't had the chance to visit, but looking at google maps, there is some very density in there, it looks quite clean and eclectically interesting as well.

I hope to visit in December. Sometimes places give a completely different vibe, once actually in them in person though.
The Fan definitely has its perks, but I do not think it is too comparable to Shadyside. Every bar in the Fan is tiny (I admit Shadyside has some tiny places as well), but Shadyside has way more of a variety. Shadyside also has shopping (and upscale stores at that) versus the Fan is more just apartments and bars. I also think Shadyside has a lot more friendlier atmosphere. Whenever I went out in the Fan I felt like I was stuffed into a bar the size of my bedroom with very cliquey people. In Shadyside I felt like I could easily venture out a lot more and actually meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasury View Post
The Fan definitely has its perks, but I do not think it is too comparable to Shadyside. Every bar in the Fan is tiny (I admit Shadyside has some tiny places as well), but Shadyside has way more of a variety. Shadyside also has shopping (and upscale stores at that) versus the Fan is more just apartments and bars. I also think Shadyside has a lot more friendlier atmosphere. Whenever I went out in the Fan I felt like I was stuffed into a bar the size of my bedroom with very cliquey people. In Shadyside I felt like I could easily venture out a lot more and actually meet people.
Sometimes I find the small bars more easier to meet people. When you are almost on top of other people, it's easy to get into a conversation.

However, if it's cliquey, maybe that doesn't work there. I guess its possible that the town is small enough, that you'd end up talking to the same people you always talk to, all the time.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
What a lot of people who haven't spent time in Richmond fail to realize is that the James is so, so much more than just rafting. The river is effectively utilized as a park in and of itself. It's a very popular pastime to go and just hang out and picnic on the rocks in the middle of the river, like you might do in a conventional park. It's a prime social gathering place for the city. As far as I know, a river being used in such a way right in an urban core is unique in America.
Pittsburgh is well on its way towards creating something like that with 3 Rivers Park concept. Its already there in concentrated areas, and as more connections are made I fully expect it to explode in popularity soon.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Richmond's relationship with the river is very special. The connection is greater and more emotional than the connection in Pittsburg.

I love Pittsburg. I'd visit regularly when I lived in Columbus (it was well worth the drive).
Richmond in no way reminds me of Pittsburg even though I'm extremely fond of both cities (Richmond wins for me). RVA really can't be beat. It has absolutely everything that I want in a city without all of the terrible people fighting for resources (all the stimulation, very little effort). Richmond (and Virginia) is more affluent too. There aren't any real blue collar neighborhoods left (hipsters and empty nesters renovating everything) which is kind of sad. But I love the coffee and doughnut shops and record stores that they bring with them!!

Here's a video with some nice aerial shots of the river and the Fan (the plane is flying down Monument Avenue at the end of the short video).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxrMCu0k170
Sorry what? Yes, Virginia is affluent because of northern Virginia not because of Richmond. So why would that even be relivent when the last thing Richmond is, is affluent. Also Richmond is still very much blue collar and only has a few white collar neighborhoods. This is very false information....

Last edited by Deluusions; 10-09-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,637 times
Median household income in Richmond is $57k. It is $51k in Pittsburgh.

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the list of highest income, Richmond is ranked #29. Pittsburgh comes in at #153

I'd call that more affluent.

Virginia is affluent because all of our cities have higher income (all of them Come in way ahead of Pittsburgh). Once again, Richmond is ranked #29 nationally. Even without Northern Virginia, Virginia is one of the wealthiest states.

And Richmond probably has the largest swath of contiguous white collar neighborhoods of any city its size or twice (triple) its size.

Median home price in Richmond is $159k. It is $89k in Pittsburgh.

Tell me again how my claim was false?

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a nice visual. Wealth is pretty evenly distributed in Virginia's metros (obviously it is higher in a NoVa, but NoVa is in the 4th wealthiest metro in the nation).

Last edited by Yac; 10-28-2014 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,411 times
Quote:

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the list of highest income, Richmond is ranked #29. Pittsburgh comes in at #153

Virginia is affluent because all of our cities have higher income (all of them Come in way ahead of Pittsburgh). Once again, Richmond is ranked #29 nationally. Even without Northern Virginia, Virginia is one of the wealthiest states.

And Richmond probably has the largest swath of contiguous white collar neighborhoods of any city its size or twice (triple) its size.

Here's a nice visual. Wealth is pretty evenly distributed in Virginia's metros (obviously it is higher in a NoVa, but NoVa is in the 4th wealthiest metro in the nation).

wow, where to start. first of all, your claim of median income doesn't even match the link you posted. second you probably don't want to make a habit of linking Wikipedia pages for your sources.

when comparing metro area you need to take into account cost of living, which is higher in Richmond, thus it requires a higher income to live at an equal standard. Another thing: your median home price is way way low for Pittsburgh, no idea where you pulled that from. If that were true then people in Pittsburgh would be much better off based on income/housing cost.

What it comes down to is that if you take everything into consideration, cost of living, income, taxes of all kinds, age of housing stuctures, etc, it can be complicated and tedious to compare. Don't have time to go into analysis on it now, but I'm guessing that an accurate and complete analysis of affluence would show that Richmond is in general slightly better off than Pittsburgh. The difference is probably not that significant. However, the trend may not be in Richmond's favor.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I don't know if you are aware or not, but Wikipedia isn't usually considered a credible information source.
Here is data from the U.S. Bureau of Economics.

From that table, here are the two metro's per-capita personal income for the years 2010,11,12 respectively:

Pittsburgh, PA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 43,535 46,117 47,862
Richmond, VA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) 41,741 43,856 45,194

You also need to factor in cost of living in order to get anything resembling a comparable metric. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedOnce you factor in the COLI (Cost of living index) difference, Pittsburgh moves even further ahead.

Last edited by Yac; 10-29-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
You also need to factor in cost of living in order to get anything resembling a comparable metric. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedOnce you factor in the COLI (Cost of living index) difference, Pittsburgh moves even further ahead.
Not to mention the massive poverty in Pittsburgh, which brings Pittsburgh to its knees in statistics. The percentage of poverty is slowly moving out, but it is still a massive part of the city of Pittsburgh and always will be. It is a section 8 mecca.

Last edited by Yac; 10-29-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Not to mention the massive poverty in Pittsburgh, which brings Pittsburgh to its knees in statistics. The percentage of poverty is slowly moving out, but it is still a massive part of the city of Pittsburgh and always will be. It is a section 8 mecca.
I don't know if I would go that far, are there statistics somewhere that compare the percentage of section 8 housing units in cities? I'm thinking that there has to be.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,751 times
Quote:

Let me tell you how you're false.

1. Wealth is not evenly distributed throughout Virginia's metros. Btw NoVa isn't a metro... It includes DC and MD.
2. Median home price of 159k or median household income of 57k is not affluent.... Are you serious?
3. Search up the definition of affluent because you clearly do not know what it means. Affluent means a great deal of wealth which is not Richmond or its residents.
4. Outside of Carytown or the fan.... Where in richmond is white collar? They live in the sububrs not the city, the city itself is not white collar... It is merely blue.
5. If Northern Virginia wasn't apart of VA. Virginia would drop as being one of the most wealthiest states..... The affluence gap is big.
Lastly, stop acting like Richmond is a higher class than Pittsburgh because that's false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh