Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Affirmative action is a ridiculously absurd policy when it treats all minorities (except Asians for some unknown reason) of all economic levels as equally disadvantaged based purely on skin color.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
No its not a contradiction. In recent years, corporations are starting to value diversity. Pittsburgh has made lots of progess with scouting out and retaining young educated black talent. This is very recent and more progress is needed.
Are these young recruits coming back to Pgh or are they from outside the metro area? What's their take on Pgh? I'm just curious. No offense to the old, but I like hearing that young people of all races are moving to Pgh rather than away.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Clarence Thomas is a poster child for a self loathing black man. Name one black cultural event, gala, benefit or organization that he is a part of or supports? Name one? No NAACP image award for him. He could at least represent the 100 Black Men organization.
Yes, I understand that he's unpopular with the black community, but that doesn't mean he, Clarence Thomas, actually hates himself. Maybe he shies away from supporting black organizations because he knows he's a pariah within his community. I don't know; I don't personally know the man.

It's the same way many Jews dismiss Noam Chomsky as self-hating, something I used to be guilty of.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Yes, I understand that he's unpopular with the black community, but that doesn't mean he, Clarence Thomas, actually hates himself. Maybe he shies away from supporting black organizations because he knows he's a pariah within his community.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Not many black organizations would really welcome Thomas.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Are these young recruits coming back to Pgh or are they from outside the metro area? What's their take on Pgh? I'm just curious. No offense to the old, but I like hearing that young people of all races are moving to Pgh rather than away.

I was in Market Square this afternoon and a black transplant (New Orleans) spoke during the transit rally. She is a black lawyer for United Steel Workers. She also serves on the Port Authority Board and County Council. Her family lives in Stanton Heights and from what I can tell she is content.

Many young professionals from chocolate cities like DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, are shocked by the lack of diversity within the black community. Other young black professionals from places like DC and NYC really appreciate the city because of the low COL.....

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Clarence Thomas is a poster child for a self loathing black man. Name one black cultural event, gala, benefit or organization that he is a part of or supports? Name one? No NAACP image award for him. He could at least represent the 100 Black Men organization.
Good luck with that brother

You keep joining clubs and learning secret handshakes. I'll be over here making more money and becoming more successful.

BTW: If you ever meet my children, do me a favor and don't speak to them about your 1960's philosophy. Which, in case your interested, is antithetical to winning at life. I don't want them anywhere near that "Supreme Court Justice of the United States of America is bad, instead you should be an organizer of some black social outings".

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
This whole thing boils down to the fact that Pittsburgh is usually 30 years behind the rest of the country in many things.

In the 1960 minorities where purposefully and legally prevented from becoming economically successful. During the 1970s and 1980s many citites implemented the George-Jefferson-moving-on-up corporate affirmative action push. This led to the 1990s black middle class and today's success stories. Pittsburgh missed the corporate affirmative action push due to the collapsing steel industry and probably some structural racism (the legacy of some racist steel mill owners and union leaders). But as others mentioned, today there seems to be renewed corporate dedication to diversity... there should be progress in the decades ahead.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Good luck with that brother

You keep joining clubs and learning secret handshakes. I'll be over here making more money and becoming more successful.

BTW: If you ever meet my children, do me a favor and don't speak to them about your 1960's philosophy. Which, in case your interested, is antithetical to winning at life. I don't want them anywhere near that "Supreme Court Justice of the United States of America is bad, instead you should be an organizer of some black social outings".

I do organize black social outings and I have my own children to attend to. I do volunteer with children through my church and the pittsburgh promise but they are mostly black..

P.S.

The so called people that are part of these "clubs" make more money and are some of the most successful black people in this nation....FYI and lol.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
I was in Market Square this afternoon and a black transplant (New Orleans) spoke during the transit rally. She is a black lawyer for United Steel Workers. She also serves on the Port Authority Board and County Council. Her family lives in Stanton Heights and from what I can tell she is content.

Many young professionals from chocolate cities like DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, are shocked by the lack of diversity within the black community. Other young black professionals from places like DC and NYC really appreciate the city because of the low COL.....
DC is no longer a chocolate city, the whites took it back with the help of asians and hispanics. if affirmative action was ever necessary (which is debatable) it is not today. you gotta love racial politics, successful black men like clarence thomas or mayor nutter in philadelphia are constantly challenged by the wpipkins of the world for not being black enough. whites who sympathize have "white guilt." progress in those places isn't simply because of affirmative action or any other BS policy, those places had healthy job growth over the last 50 years.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
why would illegal immigrants cause white employment prospects more than legal hispanic population? I'd think that the opposite would be the case because people who are here illegally would have a smaller range of jobs they're eligible for. of course, knowing people who own restaurants, the biggest reason they like to hire mexicans, legal or illegal, is they find them to be more reliable than americans, less calling out, harder workers, etc. I'd be interested to see if you could show that whites are having a harder to finding a job in, say, Philadelphia. in fact, the same should be true of new whites, taking the jobs of native whites.
I lived in Tampa Florida for 20 years. Illegals flooded the area during the home building bubble from about 2002-2007. What happened was this: American contractors stopped hiring American construction labor in favor of illegals who they paid maybe 25% of the wages that they previously paid. The contractors didn't reduce their prices. They simply pocketed the rest of the money.

Men who formerly had good paying jobs now sat at home and watched TV while their wives went to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh