Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
A Bachelor's in business maybe, but math is one of those fields where prestige doesn't mean a whole ton if you plan on going to grad school. I'd say engineering too, but that's the one big field most Ivies aren't good at.
https://statistics.wharton.upenn.edu...uarialprogram/

Actuary Salary Averages by Location

Location can also influence an actuary's salary. The BLS reported the top-paying states for actuaries as of 2010. The following mean annual wages of top-paying states include:
  • New York: $115,740
  • New Jersey: $100,050
  • Pennsylvania: $110,220
  • Illinois: $92,240
What is the Average Salary of an Actuary?

Math may not be prestigious, but the salaries are pretty nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If the OP bottom line is cost then he or she should look into this. Heck even if the same amount of credits would transfer it would be much cheaper to attend a school in Virginia.
Agreed. In addition to cost, I doubt he wants to spend a extra year in college. I don't blame him.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
https://statistics.wharton.upenn.edu...uarialprogram/

Actuary Salary Averages by Location

Location can also influence an actuary's salary. The BLS reported the top-paying states for actuaries as of 2010. The following mean annual wages of top-paying states include:
  • New York: $115,740
  • New Jersey: $100,050
  • Pennsylvania: $110,220
  • Illinois: $92,240
What is the Average Salary of an Actuary?

Math may not be prestigious, but the salaries are pretty nice
Actuarial science is a different major entirely. The profession doesn't seem to be prestige-obsessed either, as I know a number of Pitt grads who got good actuarial jobs.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Yup. You do not have to go to an Ivy, you just have to pass the exams, of which I believe there are six. It's more statistics than mathematics, really, but there was a time when actuarial science programs didn't exist, and a common question to a math major was "What are you going to do with that, be an actuary?" That said, an Ivy undergrad degree is completely unnecessary in that field.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM

147 posts, read 182,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
A Bachelor's in business maybe, but math is one of those fields where prestige doesn't mean a whole ton if you plan on going to grad school. I'd say engineering too, but that's the one big field most Ivies aren't good at.
LOL at bachelors in business. It's a worthless degree now.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
folks im 29 so i am independent and the reason i chose pitt was because its a better school for I.T. it has what i want (network security). i'll wait until my community college official final transcripts are sent and they see what counts.

last thing i want to do is repeat the majority of my last two years again.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Let us know what happens! Good luck!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

i'll definitely be bummed if i can't go. let's put it this way: life hasn't been too great for me and i solely focused on moving to PA. it has been what keeps me going. read the northern va sub-forums of virginia and you'll see why i hate this area.

i felt more welcomed and accepted in PA than i ever did here, so im hoping everything works out as i planned.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

it appears i'm $10,000 short on aid for school for the year. I've been unemployed for a while now and dont have the cash to cover the difference. It seems they gave me enough to cover my tuition as an in-state student, but not enough for out of state.

on top of that it seems like 96% of my courses wont transfer and count for, thus labeling me a freshmen. I dont think i want to go into 100k debt for my major at pitt, so if this is true on all accounts i think the wisest decision would be to stick to virginia.

i wonder what will happen, since i paid my tuition fee of $200. can i back out of the school and say "thanks but no thanks to the aid and going there any more"?
Why don't you look at Virginia Tech? People from Pennsylvania have told me it is cheaper for a PA resident to go there as opposed to paying in-state tuition at Pitt or Penn State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What? Business isn't an undergraduate major at most prestigious schools. It has changed a bit, but the old view was that a business degree was a community college thing. If you want prestige, even if you are going into business, do not major in business.
I don't know how old your "old view" is but most states did not have community colleges until the 1960s. Before the 1970s, community colleges were more commonly referred to as junior colleges. The business degree that you must be referring to was probably more of a secretarial program with classes like shorthand, typing and bookeeping. Business is an undergraduate major at most colleges today as someone else has mentioned the program at Wharton. The prime undergraduate business programs today are accounting and finance. The large public accounting firms have traditionally hired undergraduate accounting majors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The old view? My father was an undergraduate business major at Pitt back in the 40s. That degree provided him with much success and prestige as an officer of a fortune 500. My childhood next door neighbor was an undergraduate business major at Pitt in the 80s, and he's a CEO of a bank. Obviously this "old view" is new! I'm sorry. I don't mean to pick on you. I just thought that was funny as hell.
Interesting that Pitt had an undergraduate business major in the 40s. They did not have one when I started college in 1973. Penn State and WVU both had undergraduate business programs at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm sure many others like your dad did very well at it. However, it is not the most common path. Heavenwood was talking about the Ivy League and most of them still don't have undergraduate business majors (as opposed to Economics or something). And as a whole, the entering business majors are below average students.

SAT score averages of college-bound seniors, by selected student characteristics: Selected years, 1995-96 through 2004-05
You are correct that most of the Ivy League do not have undergraduate business programs but all have MBA programs. Penn and Brown are the only two Ivies with undergrad business programs.

If you compare accounting and finance majors as opposed to general business majors, the average SAT scores will be higher than average.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 05-09-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Why don't you look at Virginia Tech? People from Pennsylvania have told me it is cheaper for a PA resident to go there as opposed to paying in-state tuition at Pitt or Penn State..

tech is a great engineering school...I.T? not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh