Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Well, as luck would have it as I was delivering food this evening my car decided it was going to be a jerk to me. My car kept stalling out as I was driving. It would sound like there was a slight "thud", and then the car drove as if I was revving the engine in "Park", even though I never shifted out of "Drive". I would have to turn the car off and then turn it back on, and it would then work fine for about 1/4-mile before repeating this issue. I ended up briefly blocking traffic on both the Liberty Bridge and Smithfield Street Bridge as people angrily honked at me. It sounds like a transmission issue to me.

My typical "go-to" place is Baum Boulevard Automotive. I've been pleased with their work thus far; however, they're usually pretty busy to begin with, and if I just amble my car into their lot at 8 AM tomorrow....

1.) They won't be happy, most likely, and I don't have the patience to deal with grouchy mechanics.
2.) There's no guarantee they'd get to my car at all tomorrow, much less be able to fix it in time before they close up shop for the weekend.

Just about every other garage I'm finding online is closed on the weekends. Pep Boys was very rude to me the last time I went there, so I'm boycotting them on principle that a business shouldn't be able to treat its customers in such a manner and expect repeat business. I loved being able to take my car to Meineke right down the hill from us at Liberty & 31st, but they went out of business.

I have lunch plans with great new friends tomorrow in the Strip District, and I also have to work at 4. Can anyone give me some suggestions of garages that....

a.) Would be open weekends to work on my car on Saturday, also, if necessary;
b.) Are reasonably nearby so I can minimize my chances of stalling out in gridlock again;
c.) Preferably near to a car rental place so I can rent a car through early next week if need be.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
Firestone and Goodyear auto centers are usually open on weekends. Looks like Goodyear has a location in Penn Circle that's open Sat and Sun. Or Ft Duquesne Blvd open Sat morn http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/c...cate_store.cmd

Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I can't recommend my mechanic because he always keeps my car for eternity.

My husband's SUV did that. It needed a new idle speed control installed. He replaced it himself. He says to go to Advanced Auto and let them hook your computer up to read the error codes. Advanced Auto will read the codes and tell you what the mean. There's no charge for this, and it will help you understand what's wrong with your car before you take it to a mechanic.

The rental car places will deliver a car to you at mechanic's shops If you're willing to rent a car, drop the weekend requirement and find a great place to take it on Monday. That's what I would do.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy7773 View Post
Firestone and Goodyear auto centers are usually open on weekends. Looks like Goodyear has a location in Penn Circle that's open Sat and Sun. Or Ft Duquesne Blvd open Sat morn http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/c...cate_store.cmd
Thanks! I could potentially maneuver my car Downtown (via Liberty Avenue so people could easily pass me should my car stall out repeatedly again) and then walk to our lunch spot in the Strip followed by walking back home. That's a good option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't recommend my mechanic because he always keeps my car for eternity.

My husband's SUV did that. It needed a new idle speed control installed. He replaced it himself. He says to go to Advanced Auto and let them hook your computer up to read the error codes. Advanced Auto will read the codes and tell you what the mean. There's no charge for this, and it will help you understand what's wrong with your car before you take it to a mechanic.

The rental car places will deliver a car to you at mechanic's shops If you're willing to rent a car, drop the weekend requirement and find a great place to take it on Monday. That's what I would do.
I wish I could "drop the weekend requirement", but I have to work (drive) on Saturday and Sunday. Finding someone to cover my shifts would be impossible this last-minute, and we're usually busy on Mother's Day. I'm trying to minimize the number of days I would need to rent a vehicle, and I also never like using a rental for my deliveries anyways.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wish I could "drop the weekend requirement", but I have to work (drive) on Saturday and Sunday. Finding someone to cover my shifts would be impossible this last-minute, and we're usually busy on Mother's Day. I'm trying to minimize the number of days I would need to rent a vehicle, and I also never like using a rental for my deliveries anyways.
I'm asking around for places that are open on the weekend.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Usually only chain shops, although a few indies are open Saturdays.

There's a Monro on Penn at Negley and another on Blvd of the Allies. The former is open Sunday and both are open Saturday. I have had decent service from a couple locations of these guys, but like any chain a given shop can be hit or miss. These are corporate owned not franchises (Meineke for example are franchises, independently owned), but it still doesn't mean you can't get bad management at one. But worth a try in a pinch. Chains are more likely to be able to squeeze you in without advance notice.

For a rental check with Hertz on Baum. I dunno if the same manager is still there as I haven't been in a few years but they were always nice. They're not open very late on Saturday though. Weekend rates are the cheapest for the rental, so picking it up tomorrow and keeping it through Monday is usually pretty cheap, although sometimes less so at that particular location vs the suburban Hertz that I now rent from. You can plug in some possibilities online on Hertz.com for pricing. There's also one on 5th Ave downtown (near Chatham Center) if that would work better for some reason. If you need additional tips on getting the Hertz price a little lower with coupons and such PM me with potential rental dates. If your rental is during the midweek only, there won't be much in the way of a discount, but if you book over the weekend there are always coupons.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
How old is your car? Is it under under factory warranty or an extended warranty? If so, you might want to consider taking to a dealership. The service department at most dealerships are open on Saturdays. You might even get lucky and get a courtesy loaner car from the dealership, or if you have an extended warranty, check to see if it has rental car coverage.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I bought my car (2006 Honda Civic Hybrid) at Shadyside Honda in 2011 and was recommended to go to them; however, the earliest appointment I could schedule wouldn't be until next Friday, which would mean I wouldn't have my car available again to me until the following week after that, at the earliest. I just scheduled an appointment for 8 AM today with Baum Blvd. Automotive. I've taken my car there in the past with no complaints, and I know they could squeeze me in. If worst comes to worst, and they will be unable to fix my car today, then at least both the garage and at least three nearby car rental places are within an easy walk of my home (I'm sure at least one of those places would have a car for me today!)

If someone was looking to open a business venture in Pittsburgh then a garage that's actually open on the weekends would be very lucrative. We seem to have a shortage of car repair facilities here to begin with, given the fact that I can never take my car to an actual Honda dealer due to their backlogs. Last night I did some research and found there are many complaints about my model year's transmission failing early, so I may just be looking to trade it in anyways at a dealer and get something else once it's healthy again.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Last night I did some research and found there are many complaints about my model year's transmission failing early, so I may just be looking to trade it in anyways at a dealer and get something else once it's healthy again.
I own a car that commonly has a failed transmission at certain mile point. It died within a year of buying it used. I sucked it up and replaced the transmission. Knowing it has a new transmission has caused me to own it many years longer than I ever planned to own the car. There's really no reason to trade it in after you get a new transmission since the transmission will be new or rebuilt and will have a warranty. I haven't had a problem with mine since it was replaced. If you do need a transmission, shop around for pricing. I went with Transmissions by Lucille in Penn Hills. The manager of the shop, Bill, is the most honest person I've ever met.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM

172 posts, read 333,090 times
We always went to Lifetime Automotive, which is on Woodworth Street just off Baum (behind the Jiffy Lube), when we lived in Bloomfield. Great guys, great work, and they're open Saturdays. I used to drop my car off first thing Saturday morning (8 am) without any issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh