Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 AM

61 posts, read 194,800 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to go away for Canada's long weekend next week and I am thinking of Pittsburgh. I've heard a lot of great things but have never researched the city. What areas should we hit or stay? I just like walking and seeing interesting architecture, probably some light shopping. All recommendations welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
I just like walking and seeing interesting architecture, probably some light shopping. All recommendations welcome. Thanks.
This is the light store people talk about.
Typhoon Lighting

Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM

61 posts, read 194,800 times
Haha. Awesome.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM

More to the point, shopping of that sort is found in the Strip District (near downtown) and the southside flats. Those are both close to downtown and nice places for walking around. Oakland has the Carnegie museums and the campuses of Pitt and CMU. Those are also good for that type of visit. Or at least, I've always liked them.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
My wife and I are looking to go away for Canada's long weekend next week and I am thinking of Pittsburgh. I've heard a lot of great things but have never researched the city. What areas should we hit or stay? I just like walking and seeing interesting architecture, probably some light shopping. All recommendations welcome. Thanks.

What sort of budget would you be working with for accommodations? The reason I ask is because our most expensive hotels are Downtown; however, I also feel as if these are our region's premier hotels in terms of amenities, comfort, and proximity to attractions so you'll likely get your money's worth. If you're looking to be more budget-conscious then you can stay in the suburbs and drive in and out of the city. My partner's family just visited and stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites along Steubenville Pike in Robinson Township (west of the city). Without traffic and driving slower than we normally would drive we guided them Downtown from their hotel in 15 minutes. I believe they paid $109 USD/night, which is definitely on the cheaper side since hotels are becoming expensive here. Traffic headaches are rare here on the weekends, although I will advise you to avoid any hotels to the east of the city (i.e. Monroeville) since the Squirrel Hill Tunnels will be closed next weekend, and that will most certainly create traffic bottlenecks into and out of the city from points East.

As far as "interesting architecture" and "light shopping" (assuming NOT lighting fixtures---LOL!) are concerned I'd definitely recommend the neighborhood of Shadyside to you. There are some great window-shopping opportunities along Walnut Street between South Aiken Avenue and South Negley Avenue. In addition, there are some splendid grand old homes in "West Shadyside", especially around Devonshire Street, Wallingford Street, Castleman Street, Amberson Avenue, and the "courts" off of Ellsworth Avenue. Nearby is Squirrel Hill, which has a great business district lining both Forbes Avenue (between Shady Avenue and Murray Avenue) and Murray Avenue (between Forbes Avenue and Forward Avenue). The blocks north of Forbes Avenue offer some great residential architecture, as do the blocks to the west of Murray Avenue and north of Forbes Avenue (Bennington Avenue, Squirrel Hill Avenue, Maynard Street, Bellerock Street, etc.) Lawrenceville offers a growing blend of unique restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries along Butler Street, which is its "Main Street". The residential architecture here is older and consists largely of rowhomes. South Side offers a large business district along East Carson Street between 10th Street and 28th Street that is noted for its nightlife (beer, beer, beer). It can be a bit rowdy with the "drunk frat boy" scene on weekend nights, but it's a nice enough place to explore on foot by day. The eastern edge of the East Carson Street business district is anchored by a newer mixed-use development called "South Side Works" that has mostly chain stores and restaurants (think Cheesecake Factory, Sur la Table, Hofbrauhaus, Urban Outfitters, H&M, etc.) although there are some independent merchants sprinkled in here and there. In my opinion the most beautiful blocks of East Carson Street from an architectural perspective are the north side of the street between 11th & 19th. The residential sectors of South Side are largely older tiny wood-framed rowhomes on narrow streets. The North Side is still gentrifying, but there are two small (but improving) business districts along East Ohio Street (Deutschtown) and Western Avenue (Allegheny West). I'd only consider visiting either one if you run out of things to see/do, which isn't likely since there's a lot to see/do here for just one weekend.

Some typical tourist recommendations:

1.) Church Brew Works: A large restaurant/brewpub housed inside an old church that retains the original stained glass windows, pews, pipe organ, etc. The place gets very popular, which may suggest getting there for an early dinner to beat the crowds, but the best time to experience it (in my opinion) is after dark, despite the possibility of waiting for a table. There is a free parking lot behind the restaurant along with ample free on-street parking nearby.

2.) Mt. Washington: You can ride one of two furniculars/inclines up and down a very steep hillside overlooking Downtown Pittsburgh to Grandview Avenue, a street that runs along a cliffside with various overlooks across the city. The views are superb by day or night. There is a small business district along nearby Shiloh Street that offers an ice cream parlor (Del Fiore's), bar (Redbeard's Tavern), restaurant (Shiloh Grill), a new coffeeshop, a wine & spirits store, bank, grocery store, etc. When I'm entertaining out-of-town guests I like to drive to Grandview Avenue, park (for free) on the street, walk to get ice cream, and then eat it while surveying the views of the city. We then ride the Monongahela Incline down to Station Square, a mixed-use area that is struggling but still has some touristy things (i.e. Hard Rock Cafe, musical jumping fountains, tourist information kiosk inside of a seemingly dying small indoor shopping mall, wine store, skyline views, etc.) The western side of Grandview Avenue offers some upscale restaurants, although I've heard the food is mediocre with a pricing premium to reflect dining overlooking the skyline.

3.) National Aviary: Perhaps I'm just a budding Audubon aficionado, but I happen to think we have a superior aviary. It's reasonably-priced, rarely overcrowded, offers ample free parking (although a small donation is strongly suggested), has numerous interactive shows (extra charge) and interactive feedings (free), and offers the closest encouters I've ever had to a large number of penguins (Elvis is my favorite!) I'm a member, and I visit as often as my hectic work schedule permits. It's located on the North Side (across from Downtown) within a large park.

4.) Strip District: Best experienced on a Saturday morning or Sunday morning, you will find numerous merchants, vendors, food carts, etc. hawking their wares along Penn Avenue and surrounding blocks from around 17th Street up to 23rd Street (although the public market is soon moving up a couple of blocks and should start expanding the business district further up Penn Avenue). Smallman Street, which runs parallel to Penn Avenue, also offers quite a few commercial interests. Some favorites here for tourists are the Pittsburgh Popcorn Company, Penn Macaroni, Strip District Meats, Wholey's Seafood, Reyna Foods, Enrico Biscotti Company, Mon Aimee Chocolates, DeLuca's Diner, Pamela's Diner, Penzey's Spices, Fudgie Wudgie, and Primanti Brothers, in addition to the public market (in the long warehouse on Smallman Street, opposite 17th Street). At the corner of Penn & 28th is Klavon's, which is an old-fashioned ice cream parlor.

5.) Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium: I found this zoo to be smaller than the Cincinnati Zoo (with fewer animals), but I personally prefer the exhibits here at our zoo and the layout much better. Having an aquarium included with zoo admission is also a nice touch, as is free parking. I just visited this place for the first time last weekend, and we really loved it, despite massive crowds of tourists who were in town for the marathon swamping the place.

6.) Museums: Andy Warhol was a Pittsburgher, and we have an entire museum right near Downtown devoted to his artistic endeavors. Near where the Strip District meets Downtown you'll find the Heinz History Center, which includes a large exhibit about the history of the H.J. Heinz Company (we bleed ketchup here!) and exhibits about local history. Oakland, our "eds and meds" neighborhood, is home to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and Carnegie Art Museum. I've never been to either, so I'll let others chime in. The North Shore has the Carnegie Science Center, which I feel might be more appropriate for children than adults.

7.) Sports: Pittsburgh is home to the Penguins (hockey), Pirates (baseball), and Steelers (football). There may be a Pirates home game next weekend (I'll have to check the schedule), and if the Penguins beat the Islanders in their current series there may very well also be a home game for the Penguins next weekend. Even if you don't like baseball you'd really enjoy PNC Park, which is rated amongst the best ballparks in the U.S. for its amenities, cleanliness, and impressive skyline views. The Consol Energy Center, which hosts the Penguins, is also a great place to see a game, although I'm certain potential playoff hockey game tickets would be sold out. I'm not familiar with soccer, but Pittsburgh also has the Riverhounds, which is a professional soccer team. They have a brand new stadium adjacent to Station Square. We also have an indoor football team (Pittsburgh Power).

8.) Gateway Clipper: I've personally always wanted to do ride this boat around the city while enjoying dinner. Experience the skyline at night while on a paddleboat! You would buy tickets and board in Station Square, on the South Shore opposite Downtown.

9.) Cultural District: Downtown Pittsburgh is blessed with numerous performing arts venues that feature off-Broadway shows, comedic acts, a Symphony, etc. all within a tight area of the city. I drove through Downtown not long ago around 10 PM and was shocked at how packed the sidewalks were with well-dressed people leaving shows. Pittsburgh has a large and growing community of artists and gays/lesbians, both of which also create a more vibrant atmosphere Downtown. Both a very large arts festival and gay pride festival (featuring Adam Lambert of American Idol fame) are coming Downtown just after your visit.

10.) Segway Tour: Okay, so I live near Downtown, and I've always wanted to do this, too! Segways are those weird thingies you stand on and lean to move around with. There are guided tours that take you around Downtown on them! I believe they are based in Station Square.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 PM

112 posts, read 161,660 times
Here are a few things I thought of:
The strip district has a pretty cool outdoor market on saturday mornings. Theres also a place called mount washington that has beautiful views of our city. There are a few museums in the area, if you're into that. And of course the zoo. We have grove city outlet mall which youll pass on the way in on 79 and another outlet mall (tanger) about 45 mins south of pittsburgh if youre looking to shop. Theres a tour boat thing called "just ducky" tours which is pretty cool. It takes you through town and even into the river. Even though I'm a pittsburgh native, I've been on that twice and both times I learned things about the city I didn't know.
I have family from Toronto so when they come down we always try to do something different each time. I think you will find that Pittsburgh is a charming little town.

ETA: Oops! I was still typing and didn't see steelcity's post before I hit submit on mine. I talk about many of the same things.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
ETA: Oops! I was still typing and didn't see steelcity's post before I hit submit on mine. I talk about many of the same things.
So what? Any and all fresh insight is always appreciated on here! I totally forgot about the "Just Ducky" tours (housed in Station Square). I always wanted to get one of those quacky kazoos and drive people nuts! LOL! Also, mentioning the Grove City Outlets was smart, as PA's lack of sales tax on clothing may make it attractive for the OP to hit on the way home to grab a few things. I didn't even think of that.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I totally forgot about the "Just Ducky" tours (housed in Station Square). I always wanted to get one of those quacky kazoos and drive people nuts!
I've done one of those, years ago when I first got there, and they are fun. I have a neighbor who is one of the drivers. (This is a tour through downtown on a modified WWII landing craft. It's a nice way to see the city near the Point.)

DUKW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Since you mention architecture, another reason you might be interested in the aviary is that it's near a little neighborhood called the Mexican War Streets, which has some nice restored Victorian row houses, but someone who knows the area better than I do would have to comment on where exactly to go in the area.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Definitely take a Clipper Boat Ride or the Ducky Tours. Pgh from the Rivers is a great look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh