Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I made a delivery to a girl once while working for a former employer, and her mother (in CT) was paying over $1,000/month in rent for her to live in a posh Shadyside apartment building while she attended school here (according to the leasing office).
You were able to figure all of this out after ONE DELIVERY? This is either some serious projecting or some creepy sleuthing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
You were able to figure all of this out after ONE DELIVERY? This is either some serious projecting or some creepy sleuthing.
They volunteered the information to me unsolicited in casual small talk, believe it or not.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM

441 posts, read 765,882 times
Quote:
They volunteered the information to me unsolicited in casual small talk, believe it or not.
Some people are just crazy.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 AM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
Quote:
Sorry to have touched a nerve with you, HeavenWood, but as an individual who is derived from a lower socioeconomic background (my parents were "rich" for our poor hick town near Scranton, which made us lower-middle-class by national norms) it was extremely frustrating to drive a beater car, not be able to participate in extra-curriculars due to time constraints, and work full-time to try to pay for school while seeing so many peers not working, partying, and driving new luxury vehicles free of charge....It's not a level playing field to expect a middle-class 22-year-old to compete for a rental with the affluent parents of another 22-year-old.
I sympathize with you in many ways, speaking as another person who worked a lot of hours through college and drove a beater. (You would probably enjoy John Rawls' A Theory of Justice if you've never read it, incidentally.)

That said, whenever I see people discussing the unfairness of affluent people paying for what they perceive as their kids' luxuries it always strikes me that there's something wrong there. I have a friend who has had some unavoidable financial difficulties (job losses, lots of debt, etc.) and some he's kind of brought on himself. And I have a family member (FM) who is "the 1%" in terms of income, if not assets. FM happens to be quite frugal relative to their income -- to the point that when they lost their job and were laid off for about a year they had enough in the bank that they didn't need to tighten the belt at all. (Of the two, friend is the one with a relatively modest new car, and a payment. FM drives a luxury car, but paid it off 15 years ago, and FM will drive it until it dies.) I mostly chose these two because they represent the extremes of the people I am close to.

Here's my point: Friend buys his kid gifts on birthdays and Christmas. He might spend $100 total on each of those holidays. Few people would really call the types of gifts he gets his kid extravagant, although they do have an impact on Friend's finances, since Friend is in debt. But the same people who would judge Friend's gift-giving reasonable will turn around and complain that they don't understand why people like FM would buy a kid an iPad. Does the fact that Friend couldn't afford a dedicated iPad for his kid make it wrong for FM to buy an iPad -- heck, buy a new one every year! -- despite the fact that it makes no difference whatsoever in FM's financial situation? If yes, then should Friend be prohibited from buying (say) a small swingset for her kids because homeless people? Why not?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm3685 View Post
Unless you specifically want something like Monroeville and its shopping amenities, I have to say that it is unnecessary to live that far out to save money. For the record, Monroeville is connected to Oakland by way of the 67 route. This would be a better bet in my opinion than driving to campus. You don't want to be on 376, going into Pittsburgh from 6 - 10 am.

For whatever reason, if you do feel like driving would be the better option for you, don't park directly in Oakland, because parking passes are pricey. Do like me and park in Squirrel Hill, where there is plenty of free parking, and jump on a 61 at Forbes and Wightman.

How much space, and what kind of amenities are you looking for? If you don't mind something that's ultra compressed and rather basic (check out the floor plans - my shared room was 12.5' x 13.5'), Downtown might be an interesting choice, especially if you like to see a lot of shows. By the way, the location is very well connected to Oakland with over 8 busses going near the apartment.

Penn Commons | Student Housing in Pittsburgh Starting at $350

If you need more space than that, I recently helped a friend move into Beechwood Gardens, not too far from the Waterfront. If you find a roommate, you can end up paying under $600 (it's $825 for a two bedroom).

Zytnick Realty - Pittsburgh

Think you can get 3 friends to live with you? If so, this $1000 place might only cost you $250.

4BR/1BA Multi-Family

If you want something updated and more spacious 700 sq ft. This might suit you:

Newly Remodeled

It's near the light rail line called the T. You'd have to take that to Steel Plaza and take a bus to Oakland, but it might be worth a look, since it is exactly $600.
thanks for the advice. Sadly i dont think i can live with an 18-20 year old in dorm-like setting. most of the few friends i know in allegheney county live in the suburbs, so no dice (some in sq hill though).

the one place i actually liked and was willing to not eat but live there just informed me the room is no longer available. so back to square one lol.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,923 times
mt washington is a pretty good option. lots of students and young professionals and a 10min morning commute by car to Pitt. I am a bit bias since I live here, but I think it to be one of the most under rated areas of the city especially the areas around shiloh street/grandview/mon incline.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
mt washington is a pretty good option. lots of students and young professionals and a 10min morning commute by car to Pitt. I am a bit bias since I live here, but I think it to be one of the most under rated areas of the city especially the areas around shiloh street/grandview/mon incline.
I don't know about lots but they do exist out that way. They're mostly Point Park and Duquesne students though--relatively few from Pitt--but one of my undergrad friends did share a house out that way and got a pretty good deal.

Mt. Washington to Pitt by car isn't bad, but if you're going to be relying on public transportation, you're in for a rough ride. It took over an hour for my friend to get from her house to Pitt each day.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i didn't expect to pay nova room rates(suburbs) for such tiny and old housing.
Didn't you know? Pittsburgh is America's most livable city! It's also the city of champions, the Renaissance city, the Paris of Appalachia, the city of lights, and so on, and so fourth, n'nat.

See....This is what starts happening when a city / area starts tooting it's own horn too much and can't deliver in the same quantity as it's advertising.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealtite View Post
didn't you know? Pittsburgh is america's most livable city! It's also the city of champions, the renaissance city, the paris of appalachia, the city of lights, and so on, and so fourth, n'nat.

See....this is what starts happening when a city / area starts tooting it's own horn too much and can't deliver in the same quantity as it's advertising.
Keep Pittsburgh weird, 'n at?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I don't know about lots but they do exist out that way. They're mostly Point Park and Duquesne students though--relatively few from Pitt--but one of my undergrad friends did share a house out that way and got a pretty good deal.

Mt. Washington to Pitt by car isn't bad, but if you're going to be relying on public transportation, you're in for a rough ride. It took over an hour for my friend to get from her house to Pitt each day.
Isn't the parking at Pitt pretty sparse? it sure was when I went there. Car obsession by Pitt students was very much discouraged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh