Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

^^^LOL!

OP, much as I love fireworks myself, you may have to tell your child that's not going to work. You may have to come up with an alternative reward. A child of potty training age is too young to use any fireworks, including sparklers.

Sparkler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 2009 report from the National Council on Fireworks Safety indicated that sparklers are responsible for 16 percent of legal firework-related injuries in the United States.[2] The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's statistics from the Fourth of July festivities in 2003 indicate that sparklers were involved in a majority (57%) of fireworks injuries sustained by children under five years of age.[3] The devices burn at a high temperature (as hot as 1800°F to 3000°F, or 1000°C to 1600°C), depending on the fuel and oxidizer used, more than sufficient to cause severe skin burns or ignite clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:12 PM

122 posts, read 194,268 times
Hopes: Believe me, I have a very, very good idea of what is legal to own in PA and what isn't. The stuff I'm talking about getting are all fountains, ground blooms, things like that. nothing aerial, because not only is that illegal, it's unsafe. I realize that people shoot off mortars and cakes in neighborhoods, but that's not me.

As for the wholesalers, it's funny. They don't care where you're going as long as it isn't Ohio. Show them a PA license and they'll sell you anything. The wholesalers in PA will sell you anything as long as you show them an out of state license. I bought the stuff for the 4th of July shows I shot in West Virginia in Pennsylvania. So even though the aerial stuff is illegal in both states, they'll happily sell to someone, so long as they are not a resident of the state the sale is taking place in. The Pennsylvania wholesalers will sell to you if you have a permit, which only makes sense. If the authorities catch you with restricted fireworks you do not have permits for, they will take them and you will get fined.

Katiana:

Least you think I'm just that dumb, my son only gets to spectate fireworks. He loves that. It hasn't even occurred to him that there's fun to be had in lighting them. So he'll be watching, from a safe distance, with his mom while I do the lighting. If you look back at my first post, I've got experience with stuff all the way up to commercial grade, and am quite paranoid about safety.

The stuff you can do with PA legal fireworks can be pretty nifty, just different than what most people think of when they think of fireworks.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
Hopes: Believe me, I have a very, very good idea of what is legal to own in PA and what isn't. The stuff I'm talking about getting are all fountains, ground blooms, things like that. nothing aerial, because not only is that illegal, it's unsafe. I realize that people shoot off mortars and cakes in neighborhoods, but that's not me.
If you're wanting legal stuff, you can buy it along any major shopping area highway near the 4th of July when they set up their tents in the parking lots. If they're not selling it, it's not legal in PA.

Quote:
If the authorities catch you with restricted fireworks you do not have permits for, they will take them and you will get fined.
Or they'll just take your weed and let you keep you fireworks.

Quote:
The stuff you can do with PA legal fireworks can be pretty nifty, just different than what most people think of when they think of fireworks.
I'm just glad you're not my neighbor because I hate the noise.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Katiana:

Least you think I'm just that dumb, my son only gets to spectate fireworks. He loves that. It hasn't even occurred to him that there's fun to be had in lighting them. So he'll be watching, from a safe distance, with his mom while I do the lighting. If you look back at my first post, I've got experience with stuff all the way up to commercial grade, and am quite paranoid about safety.

I don't think you're dumb; I just didn't get what you were going to do with the fireworks. There might be a better way to make potty training work than setting up a fireworks display every time your kid is successful.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There might be a better way to make potty training work than setting up a fireworks display every time your kid is successful.
What? Did I miss something? This is for potty training?!?!!?

Dude. One word. Cheerios. Totally serious.

Fireworks won't work for potty training. Children that age need immediate rewards. They're sort of like puppies. They think in the here and now.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,399 times
Default Nice Warehouse in Beaver County

Theres a nice big warehouse located on Route 51 in Aliquippa, 15001. It has just about anything you could think of...tho I do believe you said it was for your son. Theres also a section of novility items, say 40-60 diff novility and Id say about 150-250 other fireworks. Dont quote me on the totals tho, I dont work there. I take my son there every year around the 4th. But I think they have some "non holiday" hours they are open. But given that its going to be turning June here real soon, they may be opening in the next few weeks. They stay open pretty late when they are open 1o:00pmish, lol. Soryy for the ramble on my best bet would be to just call if this is the kind of fireworks you were looking for. Oh and by the way just make sure you have your valid ID w/you and they'll run it and give you some type of copy for you to sign allowing you to perform your own fireworks.....including larger ones like county fairs. Well hope this helps you...or anyone that see then, I guess, huh :P

Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What? Did I miss something? This is for potty training?!?!!?

Dude. One word. Cheerios. Totally serious.

Fireworks won't work for potty training. Children that age need immediate rewards. They're sort of like puppies. They think in the here and now.
Yeah, I know. It's sort of a 'keep your word' thing. I was tired and not paying attention and said he could have whatever he wanted if he'd just use the potty. Then, to our general amazement, he went and used it. First time ever. I asked him what he wanted, since he used the potty, and he said fireworks. He hasn't forgotten either. I'm hoping the show tomorrow at heartwood acres will scratch his itch, and try to do a better job defining rewards in the future.

I did like the sticker idea. I have no problems putting on a fountain show for him if he can go, say, 30 days worth of stars or something. It's just that up until last night, he has had absolutely zero interest in the potty. Color me desperate.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It's sort of a 'keep your word' thing. I was tired and not paying attention and said he could have whatever he wanted if he'd just use the potty. Then, to our general amazement, he went and used it. First time ever. I asked him what he wanted, since he used the potty, and he said fireworks. He hasn't forgotten either. I'm hoping the show tomorrow at heartwood acres will scratch his itch, and try to do a better job defining rewards in the future.
Just do Hartwood Acres and don't buy fireworks. You're setting yourself up for a miniature control freak if you keep giving him whatever he wants. Potty problems are all about control. The more you push it, the more they resist. Add to it that you are rewarding in a big way, the control can get out of hand big time. Go to Hartwood Acres, have fun and let that be it. It will be easier for you to say that there aren't any fireworks if he only sees them at Hartwood Acres. If you buy fireworks, you will be setting off fireworks all the time. Just limiting it to Hartwood Acres lets you off the hook. He'll learn that fireworks don't happen every day. If YOU set off fireworks, you'll have a harder time explaining that it's not going to happen whenever he wants it.

Quote:
I did like the sticker idea. I have no problems putting on a fountain show for him if he can go, say, 30 days worth of stars or something. It's just that up until last night, he has had absolutely zero interest in the potty. Color me desperate.
He's too young to wait 30 days for a reward. I understand you're desperate but a "great job," high five, or happy dance are good enough rewards. The more parents are stressed and care about potty training, the more problems they will have with it. If you back off, one day he'll just do it. There's no reason to push potty training.

Is this a #1 or #2 issue or both? How old is he?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 PM

He's approaching 3. As for the rest, usually I'm good about managing rewards/expectations. At this point it's both as he's only successfully used the toilet twice. Ever. Frankly, I'm fine waiting till he's interested. His mom isn't, and unfortunately, there's no peace here when something doesn't sit right with her.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Feezle's junk yard right on the State line. Take 51 North through Chippewa. It squeezes down to 2 lanes. Turn right onto State Line Rd. They call it F&V fireworks.

As you turn you will see Prism fireworks up ahead on the left. Don't waste your time with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh