Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM

133 posts, read 316,898 times

Advertisements

My son is an upcoming senior at Pitt this fall. He and his roommates have a rental house on Atwood street. How bad will the parking be? He is insisting on taking his car as it will be more convenient for grocery shopping and laundry runs etc, plus the car just setting around eight month of the year has not been good. ny replies will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
My son is an upcoming senior at Pitt this fall. He and his roommates have a rental house on Atwood street. How bad will the parking be? He is insisting on taking his car as it will be more convenient for grocery shopping and laundry runs etc, plus the car just setting around eight month of the year has not been good. ny replies will be appreciated.
I did on street parking for my last couple of years as an undergrad at Pitt. It will be pretty terrible. If I left after 6 or 7pm I would do so being prepared to walk 5 or 6 blocks after parking that far away. During the day street parking will be at 90%+ capacity; if he is not a good parallel parker, he soon will be! Atwood is actually one of the worst streets for parking in Oakland because it has businesses in addition to housing.

For grocery and laundry runs, it's honestly not going to be that much easier. I mainly used my car as a way to get out of the student bubble for a bit when I needed a quick break from the college life, or for making trips back home. Everything else was more easily accessed on foot or by bus for free. But hey, it's only like twenty bucks for the annual parking permit, so have him try it out and if he changes his mind he can always bring the car back to you and park it there for the rest of the year.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I figured, but a twenty one year old has to learn for themselves,lol, the other thing I worry about is vandalism and car breakdowns. At least it should save us the cost of a bus ticket at Thanksgiving.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
It is absolutely atrocious. Honestly. It will get dented forsure, and he will rarely ever get a space anywhere near his apartment. I've lived in Oakland 5 years, trust me he'd be better off without it. I've gotten groceries from right down on Forbes for years and if I need something special, I'd go to Giant Eagle in South Side.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks, will pass on the info, he is determined, guess he will learn the hard way.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
My daughter lived on Atwood St. for the past two years. The landlord charged extra for parking behind the apartment. I think he wanted $70/month.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,453 times
I lived on Bates St (intersects with Atwood St) for a couple years and still have to park in the area on occasion. He will have to be prepared to park a few blocks away from his apt. It is not impossible to find parking and, if he is not using his car very often, he can grab a good parking space and leave it there for a few days at a time. If he is just going to school, it is possible to get around without a car. But honestly, I couldn't do without a car down there.

As far as people breaking into cars, that really hasn't been a problem in my experience. Just don't leave the car unlocked or leave any valuables in sight.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Thier house is a rental on the 300 block, they will live on the third floor, already having nightmares about moving him in in August. I will not pay extra for parking, though I don't think the house has any extra off street parking.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
My son lives on Bates and though he does not have a car, we must often park 3-4 blocks away when we visit. I think it's doable if you learn where to look and get accustomed to driving around for a while. Also, certain times of the day are easier than others. Even with a car, encourage him to take advantage of having the free bus pass. It saves a lot of trouble.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM

He does use the buses, I think he just misses his car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh