Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 AM

10,223 posts, read 16,775,275 times

Advertisements

I'd venture to say that fitzgerald is on the wrong track, worrying about free rides to station square. it just isn't relevant, if the business owners want it, fine, but if they don't, it's not a big deal. in fact, if I were head of the downtown partnership I'd be more concerned with the frequency and lack of late night bus service to densely populated communities from downtown. a free ride on the T to station square will do little for downtown, imo
Not all are friends of free T fares | TribLIVE
worse, it costs MORE to ride the T for others providing incentive for people to drive and ride for free rather than catch it closer to their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,230,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
worse, it costs MORE to ride the T for others providing incentive for people to drive and ride for free rather than catch it closer to their home.

I don't think that this free ride proposal will encourage more park and riders from the south shore at all.

The station square T station really isn't that close to a big parking lot- and don't south shore commuter lots already offer free rides to town as part of their service like the ones in the strip?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,860,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think that this free ride proposal will encourage more park and riders from the south shore at all.

The station square T station really isn't that close to a big parking lot
Unless you meant free parking lot - there's a huge lot right across Carson st at the station square T stop for about $5
Nor do I know of any shuttles downtown from there.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The station square T station really isn't that close to a big parking lot- and don't south shore commuter lots already offer free rides to town as part of their service like the ones in the strip?
hmm, interesting point, so i guess from the point of the lots, it's whether shuttles or T rides are more cost effective but there's little point in paying for both. then just who would a free ride benefit? I'd think there'd be more return from reduced fare rides from the south hills to station square than station sq to downtown for free, which is a pretty slow ride as it is.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,967,549 times
I like the idea. I would probably go to station square more often if the T was free. Having the T be free from the North Shore through Downtown and then Station Square would really tie all three together into a unit. The North Shore already seems like almost part of Downtown since the connector opened, but I always forget about Station Square being over there.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM

814 posts, read 1,146,852 times
It's struck me as rather stupid for years now that Station Square isn't part of the "free fare zone," especially after they spunked all that money on the North Shore Connector and made that free.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The North Shore already seems like almost part of Downtown since the connector opened, but I always forget about Station Square being over there.
Even before the connector, I always considered the North Shore part of downtown to some degree. The connector is not appreciably faster than walking. I timed it.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
It's struck me as rather stupid for years now that Station Square isn't part of the "free fare zone," especially after they spunked all that money on the North Shore Connector and made that free.
to be fair, north shore interests are paying for the ride. station squate is balking at the idea so the economics is probably different.
moby -for all the complaints about the transit system its really eye opening when you think about how much it cost. if one were to teach a class on how not to build a transit system the t tunnel with its sharp curves and someewhat circuitous routing is probably 101

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

130 posts, read 199,035 times
My fiancee and I go to a good number of the big downtown events. We usually stay in the north shore and downtown area when looking for something to eat. If the T was free to station square I'm sure we would visit more.

The would be good for everybody but the gateway clipper as it would bring more people to station square. The clipper would take a hit on its Station Square to Heinz Field shuttle.

But it seems like the Station Square businesses think they are doing fine on their own and don't want to pay to subside T access.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM

814 posts, read 1,146,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
to be fair, north shore interests are paying for the ride. station squate is balking at the idea so the economics is probably different.
moby -for all the complaints about the transit system its really eye opening when you think about how much it cost. if one were to teach a class on how not to build a transit system the t tunnel with its sharp curves and someewhat circuitous routing is probably 101
Define "paying for," because I can't imagine it's more than a drop in the bucket of what it actually costs to operate the T between Downtown and the North Shore, let alone for free. And that's not even getting into the monumental waste of money that it took to actually build the thing to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh