Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 03:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,626,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
With that being said the 5.4% annual median price increase in Pittsburgh is also concerning because our wages have remained relatively stagnant. If a home that was listed for just under $127,000 in 2012 is now listed for over $134,000 in 2013, an increase of just over $7,000, then by 2020 that same home will be listed for around $185,000. Will median wages rise enough by then to keep pace, or will the housing market become all that more unattainable for entry-level homebuyers by that time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
As an aside, I think that the old adage you reference is losing its relevancy due to student loans. Perhaps an adage about total debt load compared to income would be more appropriate these days. I know a lot of people who have student loans greater than their mortgage amount or their rent payment.
Wage stagnation and student loan debt are a nationwide problem. It's a lot harder to stay in the middle class than it once was. They say wage stagnation started in the late 70s, right around the time I entered the workforce. Just lucky, I guess. I think we're going into a period where the middle class will be smaller and the rich will get richer and the ranks of the poor will grow. I hope I'm wrong. I believe that the US's strength and leadership depend on a big, financially secure, educated, middle class.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,837,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Wage stagnation and student loan debt are a nationwide problem.
Yes but as I have pointed out in a few other threads, Pittsburgh has one of the most educated workforces in the country and higher education in PA is very expensive. It wouldn't surprise me at all if student loan debt was more of an issue in Pittsburgh than other comparable U.S. cities.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Yes but as I have pointed out in a few other threads, Pittsburgh has one of the most educated workforces in the country and higher education in PA is very expensive. It wouldn't surprise me at all if student loan debt was more of an issue in Pittsburgh than other comparable U.S. cities.
You're probably right. If it was only a local problem it might be easier to fix.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,459,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post

As much as I wouldn't mind being in my 20's again it's gotta be tough to pay for an education. My best friend put both his kids through college and they have no debt at all. His big worry now is they will marry a girl that has 100k in student loans.

Things have changed, total cost of my college education, around 8K. Best FIVE years of my life!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,691,417 times
Quote:
I think we're going into a period where the middle class will be smaller and the rich will get richer and the ranks of the poor will grow. I hope I'm wrong.
It's already here and has been for some time:

Wealth Inequality in America - YouTube

Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's already here and has been for some time:

Wealth Inequality in America - YouTube
Point taken.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,814,568 times
Pittsburgh is way too macho to ever turn into Portlandia.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

144 posts, read 223,333 times
Quote:
I hope I'm wrong. I believe that the US's strength and leadership depend on a big, financially secure, educated, middle class.
True. This makes me reluctant to have children at the moment, because I want to bring them into a world where they're not likely to be impoverished. The idea that things are so unstable that I could only afford to move into dangerous neighborhoods does not jive with me. Maybe other people share my sentiments, since more people are waiting longer to have children, perhaps so they can set on more solid financial ground. I wonder, what do you do with 40% of all the money out there?! I'm having trouble thinking of what I would do with even 10% of it.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM

194 posts, read 429,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Thanks for helping with my argument. 9 clear days in 5 months thats a great average. Here is a great link for you.
Annual Days of Sunshine in Pennsylvania - Current Results

45 percent sunshine in pittsburgh that means its cloudy 55 percent of the time, and most of that 45 percent is from mid may to mid sept. Like I said you can make a lot of great arguments for the burgh. Weather however isn't one of them.

Yikes....so glad I moved from there 3 years ago...that is the main reason why and every morning when I wake up to Carolina Blue skies I am more happy with my decision! Pittsburgh has alot going for it...the weather is not one of them.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,578,076 times
Your first post here in months and it's to say "I have better weather here, neener neener"? Some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh