Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times

Advertisements

Nothing's as good as people say or as bad as other people say. Almost without exception.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Shannon View Post
I believe the initial post was about the selling of Pittsburgh and the absurd continual campaign to tout Pittsburgh as the only place worthy of living. It appeared to be asking if anyone else had noticed or felt weary of the chest thumping as to the greatness of Pittsburgh and then noted the areas that are frequently and falsely cited as better than________(fill in the blank.) My response was yes I am weary of it and additionally it seems like propaganda and somehow counterproductive to mislead people into thinking that the city is something that it isn't. The Emperor is wearing his new clothes in the 'burgh?
Couple of questions:

1. Do you live in Armstrong County?

2. If not, how exactly did you find this forum? Did you discover it yourself, or did a current member invite you?

I'm just curious, because your posting style seems vaguely familiar to me.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
I believe the initial post was about the selling of Pittsburgh and the absurd continual campaign to tout Pittsburgh as the only place worthy of living. It appeared to be asking if anyone else had noticed or felt weary of the chest thumping as to the greatness of Pittsburgh and then noted the areas that are frequently and falsely cited as better than________(fill in the blank.) My response was yes I am weary of it and additionally it seems like propaganda and somehow counterproductive to mislead people into thinking that the city is something that it isn't. The Emperor is wearing his new clothes in the 'burgh?
I'm also weary of people complaining about people who like Pittsburgh and are happy to say so publicly. Weariness all around, much like this thread. Its very existence makes me weary.

I enjoy living in Pittsburgh more than the NYC area and I am very happy to have made that move. Repeat ad infinitum.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:46 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
My thoughts again: Not a bad place but not anywhere near the level of great as spouted mindlessly over and over especially regarding all the areas you touched upon.
Couldn't agree more. I've been saying that same thing ad nauseam and have had posts and threads deleted addressing the same thing you are saying here. A lot of censorship and several forum members hostile when you ask tough questions or provide constructive criticism. Other city forums are more welcoming to different opinions, but here on the Pgh forum you must tread carefully out of fear of reprisal. Actual Pittsburghers and locals I know are way more pragmatic than the constant silver lining found on this forum. I interact with real life Pittsburghers and transplants for insight constantly. Their optimism, yet frustration with the status quo has inspired me to post on here. You won't understand reality by just reading the "shining city on the hill" propaganda spewed on here. Now I'll just sit back and enjoy the short life span of this post.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
A lot of censorship and several forum members hostile when you ask tough questions or provide constructive criticism.
Could you provide examples of your "tough questions" and "constructive criticism" that is being censored?
And I do not think anyone believes "Erin Shannon" is a real person, but points for the St Patrick's day theme!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Our new Pittsburgh Motto: Not a bad place to live! or Could be worse! or Hey, we're not Cleveland, but we wanna be Columbus or How 'bout them Stillers? or We have houses for sale a'nat for under 100K or We don't get tornados and hurricanes that would flood our cellars or meh. Where's Myron when you need him?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Why hasn't this thread ever been closed? It's been nothing but a troll magnet for its entire existence.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Why hasn't this thread ever been closed? It's been nothing but a troll magnet for its entire existence.
I disagree. I think it's very helpful to newcomers.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I disagree. I think it's very helpful to newcomers.

As do I. No one should ever move to this area.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Ahhh yes....the voice of one (albeit with many names) is always a great way to discuss a topic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh