Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM

482 posts, read 1,230,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
No such thing as a jinx/curse and CEC is a fine venue. The biggest problem is the coach. Bylmsa needs to go. He's too player-friendly and doesn't hold players accountable. His system is too easy for opponents to defeat and he fails to get the players to be responsible for the puck in their own end.

Since winning the Cup with Therrien's team, Bylsma has a 20-19 postseason record. Unacceptable. he needs to go if they get boat raced against the Bruins.

The problem is not his system... The problem is the absolutely horrendous execution of his system currently. They won every game in March of this year using his system. However, I agree that he is too player-friendly.

The team needs to get back to the basics: dump the puck into the offensive zone, the forecheck and hit their defense. We beat Boston 3 times this year by doing things like this... hit Chara, take him off of his game. Stop trying to be so fancy all the time and get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,963,077 times
I've only been to concerts and not games there but the Consol seems perfectly functional as an arena if completely dull as a work of architecture.

I'm pretty sure that the Pens lost these games because Boston is just a hell of a hockey team.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,346,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I've only been to concerts and not games there but the Consol seems perfectly functional as an arena if completely dull as a work of architecture.
Well yeah, I was expecting more.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

814 posts, read 1,143,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wishing Boston the best against the west.
Not me (if that is indeed how the series turns out when it's all said and done).

Charles Pierce said it best:

"[Boston] fans waver wildly from insufferable victimhood to insufferable triumphalism, without ever losing their firm grip on that characteristic adjective."

Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
No such thing as a jinx/curse and CEC is a fine venue. The biggest problem is the coach. Bylmsa needs to go. He's too player-friendly and doesn't hold players accountable. His system is too easy for opponents to defeat and he fails to get the players to be responsible for the puck in their own end.

Since winning the Cup with Therrien's team, Bylsma has a 20-19 postseason record. Unacceptable. he needs to go if they get boat raced against the Bruins.
I agree, I am not a fan of the Blysma system. Until this year when he figured out if they lost to the Islanders (I'd still consider it a possibility if they'd lost this series badly) that he would be shown the door, he has never really had a plan B. It was so aggravating seeing this team do the same old stuff in round 1 like it would finally work this time when it never did. They were lucky to win that game 6 against NY but the complaints about Blysma went silent since they routed over an easy opponent in Ottawa. Now though, the Pens are back to a real team in the playoffs and are **itting the bed again!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
The problem is not his system... The problem is the absolutely horrendous execution of his system currently. They won every game in March of this year using his system. However, I agree that he is too player-friendly.

The team needs to get back to the basics: dump the puck into the offensive zone, the forecheck and hit their defense. We beat Boston 3 times this year by doing things like this... hit Chara, take him off of his game. Stop trying to be so fancy all the time and get things done.
They weren't playing the same team over and over again in March though. If they get swept, Lemiux should hold essentially the entire team and coaching accountable besides Shero and Crosby. This team is too good to not be in the Stanley Cup finals this year or any year for that matter.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
They weren't playing the same team over and over again in March though. If they get swept, Lemiux should hold essentially the entire team and coaching accountable besides Shero and Crosby. This team is too good to not be in the Stanley Cup finals this year or any year for that matter.
Crosby hasn't played well this series either...

Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,834,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I have to disagree, the Bruins are the better team and just a couple years removed from a Stanley Cup victory. The Pens may have some great goal scorers and some of the best players in the league, but they are very weak at goalie and Letang/Orpik seem to be unable to clear the puck when necessary and keep their cool. The Penguins may have some great players, but they are not a great team and even if they managed the greatest comeback of all time and won the cup they would still have some problems and defense and in goal. I think this series has been more about the Bruins being underestimated than the Pens being overestimated.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM

424 posts, read 626,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Not me (if that is indeed how the series turns out when it's all said and done).

Charles Pierce said it best:

"[Boston] fans waver wildly from insufferable victimhood to insufferable triumphalism, without ever losing their firm grip on that characteristic adjective."

Boston has been the better team by far and deserves to win the series, unless Pittsburgh really turns it around of course. The Penguins' offense has looked confused and uninspired, their defense has been lazy, and they have no answer for the Bruins' top forwards.

But I wish it were any team but Boston. They're gonna play the "'Murrica's Team" card, playing into the perverse obsession with victimhood (see also: Sports Teams, New York City). Unfortunately I don't think any team from the West can match them right now, so I think we'll have to endure parades, American flags, and tribute songs for a while.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
It doesn't hurt Boston that they have played together so long in comparison to this new team that the Penguins just formed. I think if they can keep most players they will be really tough next year. There was just too much crap going on this year with the shakeup of players and Sidney out for an important part of the season with the influx of new players. What is Jokinen to think after he played so well without Sidney and then not being a big part of things later? It is kind of a confusing time in a way and that isn't good for playoff hockey. I think the Pens have a great team, but they needed more time. If Sidney wouldn't have gotten hurt, it might have been a little smoother transition. Now they look way out of sync.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh