Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

art activities - gallery showings, festives, happenings at the warhol, free workshops etc.

crack open the back of the CP and see.
Pittsburgh is a drinking town thats for sure. I dont drink like that but have friends that still do. You can suggest stuff to try with them thats other than those types of activties. The people I know that drink like that dont say anything when I just say "not tonight" they still go. I stay home with a dvd and my cats. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,007 times
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in the same boat!! Well.....sort of. I just moved her 3 weeks ago for my fiance and he and I broke up on Sunday. Sooooooooo, I'm looking to meet some really cool girls to hang out with and a female roommate as well. I'm a 28 yr. old female, professional, working at Fisher Scientific. Any good ideas for meeting fun girls to hang out with and/or a roommate?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Pittsburgh is a very easy city to meet people; you can strike up a conversation with most people. It's sort of hard to suggest where exactly to go in that different places cater to different crowds. However, being in school is a big plus because you can get involved in on campus clubs. I remember when I was a member of Hillel, I thought I would only be hanging around there on Shabbat...but the other members became good friends of mind and it sort of branched out from there. So hang in there :-D

Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 AM

314 posts, read 848,928 times
I noticed that the OP posted in Nov and, although there were several responses, they never came back. Maybe, they have a problem with follow thourgh? Seriously though, we were only here for a week and got invited to a couple of functions and are even becoming friendly with our landlord and his mother-in-law. He lives in Fl and I mentioned a big pot of gumbo and he is flying up here. Just kidding but he is coming by to have some when he visits. Here in Nola, we hardly have any friends because of the drinking thing and having a hard time finding people with similar interests (we are pretty eccentric. Am I old enough to say that yet?) but we saw ourselves being friendly with alot of the people we met up there. Again, we are unique and PGH seems to be a geek hobby friendly town but people were also just very warm.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
I noticed that the OP posted in Nov and, although there were several responses, they never came back. Maybe, they have a problem with follow thourgh? Seriously though, we were only here for a week and got invited to a couple of functions and are even becoming friendly with our landlord and his mother-in-law. He lives in Fl and I mentioned a big pot of gumbo and he is flying up here. Just kidding but he is coming by to have some when he visits. Here in Nola, we hardly have any friends because of the drinking thing and having a hard time finding people with similar interests (we are pretty eccentric. Am I old enough to say that yet?) but we saw ourselves being friendly with alot of the people we met up there. Again, we are unique and PGH seems to be a geek hobby friendly town but people were also just very warm.
Jinxd_13. Kansas City is worse for meeting people. I'm from Connecticut and a different social class than the people that I rub elbows with here and have virtually nothing in common with these people. Cumulatively speaking I've lived here in excess of six years and don't have any real friends here. I also gave up on the idea of finding a girlfriend here as well.

Tliz. Try finding people that share similar hobbies and interests. In New England the best way to meet other people is to go where people with the same hobbies and interests hang out. Perhaps there are some local groups and organizations that you can join which might be good places to meet people that like to do some of the things that you also like.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,007 times
Unhappy Totally depressed being here

So here's the situation........I moved here 3 weeks ago for my fiance and we broke up last Sunday. It was my doing but it doesn't make it any less depressing. The girls at work are a bunch of married ******* that don't even say good morning, much less, "Do you wanna go have a drink?". I'm here by myself, living in a house that is too big for me, no roommate (gotta get one), no family, no friends. I mean, yea the people here are nice, but they're not exactly the most fun bunch of people to be around. Most people, it seems, have been here their entire lives and if they haven't they left and came back. Hence, they aren't really interested in letting newcomers come "into the group". It's hard and it sucks and it's lonely and depressing!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
How anyone could be a senior at college and not have any friends is amazing. Why not ask the guy that sells you weed to introduce you around?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
That story is unfortunate. Perhaps over time things will change.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM

353 posts, read 825,527 times
I have a similar problem, and can relate somewhat. My problem is not really in meeting people, I'm great at making acquaintances, I have a problem making friends. I thought I had found a group when I first started with grad classes, but turns out not so much... they are all in the exact same field, and I'm not, so they all spend a ton of time with eachother and I was kinda the odd one out, having had only one class with them. Things seem to be turning a bit though. After having spent an inordinately huge amount of time at the local Starbucks, I've gotten in pretty good with the crowd who work there.

People around here are friendly, there is no doubt about that. I guess my experience is a bit different, because I live in an neighborhood where maybe about 80% of the people are transplants, but be patient and just try to talk to people. That's the best advice I've got.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 PM

911 posts, read 2,374,732 times
Default meeting people

its hard to meet people cause the age group of 25 to 40 are all married or have a bunch of kids. or are in miserable relationships that they dont want to be in cause they cant find any one better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh