Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Has the Best Burger in Da 'Burgh?
BRGR (East Liberty) 9 19.57%
Burgatory (Various Locations) 11 23.91%
Fat Head's Saloon (South Side) 2 4.35%
Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Various Locations) 8 17.39%
Harris Grill (Shadyside) 0 0%
Lot 17 (Bloomfield) 0 0%
Murray Avenue Grill (Squirrel Hill) 0 0%
Tessaro's (Bloomfield) 10 21.74%
Winghart's (Downtown) 7 15.22%
Other (Please Specify Below) 7 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times

Advertisements

I don't have nearly as strong opinions on burgers as I do on pizza. Even Outback made an acceptable burger until a couple years ago. But since we're on the subject:

Tessaro's - I've had two. They're good. But I've had much better outside Pgh. In fact, before I leave CT on Friday I might have to stop by The Chelsea.

Winghart's - Love the burger. Hate the bun. They're a bad match. The burgers here are among the loosest I've ever seen served commercially. The bun just disintegrates in the face of all that juiciness. This place desperately needs an introduction to the HARD ROLL! :-)

BRGR - underwhelmed. I'd take Five Guys every day over BRGR.

Burgatory - slightly less underwhelmed than at BRGR, but underwhelmed nonetheless

Sauce - not mentioned yet in this thread. Nor should it be, although burgers are supposed to be a specialty.

Sharp Edge - this is where I learned that Kobe burgers are almost always frozen solid before cooking and cannot actually be cooked rare. Which defeats the point of order a Kobe burger.

Atria's - haven't been there in years, but I recall the burgers being pretty darned good.

This is going to sound crazy, but as I used to work very close to KousKous, I've had most everything on the menu. And Abdel's burger was crazy good, so that would be my vote.

Anyway, I just grilled some burgers again... one of the bennies of staying at my late brother's house is that he had a subscription to Omaha Steaks. So I've been going thru the freezer a little at a time.

So I'm not that hungry for more burgers, but I have to come back here next weekend and there are too many to choose from. (I've had the burger from Dinosaur BBQ and it was terrific - and there are supposedly 4 better than that around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
I forgot Sharp Edge, I'd rate rate them fairly highly as well. I like their basic Belgian Burger. They probably belong on the list.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I make the best burgers period. Buy lean ground beef, fire up the grill, and ONLY FLIP THEM ONCE. That's the secret.

Last edited by Copanut; 06-05-2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: pour spilling

Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM

128 posts, read 201,287 times
BRGR to me is very overrated, I was not in the least impressed.

Tessaro's makes a good reliable burger, better than most.

Fat Heads I was at last week and their burgers were all pretty pedestrian. I remember them being better, but hadn't been in a while.

Winghart's makes one of the best burgers in town. I've eaten at the downtown location more than the south side and prefer it as well.

Five Guys is a decent chain, but still a chain.

The rest I've not had.

Not listed:

I'll second (or third, fourth or fifth, I lost count) Butterjoint. Easily top 3 in the city, plus their appetizers and cocktails are amazing.

Meat and Potatoes makes a mean burger as well, I was very impressed.

Squirrel Cage. IMO best $4 burger in tahn.

Industry was meh to me, plus I picked something up there, not sure from what, and hugged my toilet all night.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Well, I just thought I'd stop by to update everyone on how Sunday turned out. In the end we decided against Rivertowne on the North Shore. They were packed because they were the "staging area" for the Pittsburgh Challenge scavenger hunt/race (we didn't know that in advance), and after being ignored by the hostesses and cut in line in the process we were irked and decided we'd just try them at a better time in the future.

Ironically enough I didn't eat a burger in the end. We decided to try Max's Allegheny Tavern in East Allegheny. We had a fantastic time! We loved the decor, including the old tapestries on the wall, the newspaper-like menus, and the unique urinals in the restroom. We were initially disappointed that the appetizer we wanted to try, the deep-fried soft pretzels stuffed with cheese, was unavailable, but we settled for the non-cheese-filled ones, which were perfectly complemented by honey mustard. I ordered a fried fish sandwich with a side of potato pancakes and applesauce. My dining partner chose a grilled chicken sandwich, along with the same side I chose. My fish sandwich was GIGANTIC, and it was delicious! I had to pick a couple of small fish bones out of my mouth, but at least I knew it was fresh. I had to take some home with me. I reheated it last night in the oven and also melted some cheese on it. Divine! The potato pancakes were surprisingly thick and tasty, too.

The best part? Our check was only $22 ($30 when including a generous tip for our very attentive waitress who was constantly filling our water glasses). We can't wait to go back.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM

733 posts, read 986,701 times
Oh man, Max's is the best! Good choice. I love the atmosphere in there.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Agree with that, another great Northside institution. Honestly, I've largely been underwhelmed by their food (just my preference, many rave) but the bar room itself is one of the best in the City. It has a great feel, solid selections and knows exactly what it's trying to be.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
The ambiance, aura, and atmosphere really made the experience all the more special for us. It was so cozy and intimate in the smaller back room we were seated in, where we were able to admire old tapestries hanging from the walls. The old urinals and cigarette vending machine in the men's room were great "nostalgic" touches as well! Max's was very unpretentious, which we liked, and it was also very unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Agree with that, another great Northside institution. Honestly, I've largely been underwhelmed by their food (just my preference, many rave) but the bar room itself is one of the best in the City. It has a great feel, solid selections and knows exactly what it's trying to be.
I was impressed enough by the potato pancakes, fried soft pretzels, and fish sandwich to actually give them a positive Yelp! review (I've been in Yelp! remission as of late). I was most impressed by the prices, though, which were extremely reasonable. If we had instead gone to a comparable chain restaurant (i.e. Hofbrauhaus) we would have paid at least $35 for two entrees and an appetizer. We only paid $22 for two entrees and an appetizer at Max's. Wonderful. I just really regret not buying that home on Blossom Way now because we would have been a three-minute walk away!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Sort of surprised by the places that have been suggested. It seems as if most of them are relatively new "burger" joints or nicer established places. Hard to believe that there isn't a dive bar someplace that has a decent burger.

Five Guys is my favorite. The family also likes Max and Erma's. The burger's there are pretty good. I like it that they come in two sizes.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Hard to believe that there isn't a dive bar someplace that has a decent burger.
Squirrel Cage does very good burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh